is it possible to use the blur busters 182 hz "trick" on 27" benq monitors?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
alexander1986

is it possible to use the blur busters 182 hz "trick" on 27" benq monitors?

Post by alexander1986 » 24 Mar 2020, 23:38

Hello, I was reading the blur busters guide on strobe crosstalk here: https://blurbusters.com/faq/advanced-st ... stalk-faq/ and was wondering about these values for a custom 182 hz resolution on benq 25" monitors:

I want to ask if it is possible to use the same method but with other values for 27" inch benq monitors like XL2740/XL2746/XL2746S?

if I would like to test this on a XL2746S monitor for example, does anyone have any idea about what vertical total numbers I would need to test instead of the ones used for the 25" size monitors?

thanks in advance and cheers!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: is it possible to use the blur busters 182 hz "trick" on 27" benq monitors?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Mar 2020, 23:57

Yes, these numbers generally work on all 240Hz BenQ monitors as far as I know.

Be mindful, if you're shopping, the DyAc models have brighter blur reduction than the non-DyAc models.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 25 Mar 2020, 03:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 23:57

Be mindful, if you're shopping, the DyAc models have brighter blur reduction than the non-DyAc models.
Thanks Chief ! much appreciated, for some reason I was thinking that bigger panel size, 27" vs 25" would also affect the vertical totals needed in this case, but I guess vertical totals have nothing to do with amount of pixels on the panel / size of panel then? although when thinking about it, if the resolution is the same at 1920x1080p, I guess it is the same amount of pixels on both 25" and 27", just a less dense pixel pitch and that is why the vertical totals are the same and so on? and then it would make sense that the trick should work on these monitors too (hopefully) ?

Also good to know about the DyAc brightness , but does this by the way mean that brightness with DyAc+ enabled can not be adjusted though? either via OSD or blur busters strobe utility you think? it would seem like if the brightness is too high for me I should be able to lower it somehow even with DyAc+ enabled? like when setting old lightboost to 10% intensity in toastyX strobelight, or via OSD menu for example on my asus vg248qe ?

also lastly, primary reason I am interested in XL2746S / XL2546S (if 2546S ever comes out) is that these new models are based on the more recent "0.5 ms" 240hz TN panels vs the previous non-S models that have the "1ms" G2G spec,

as well as that the option of having freesync ON when DyAc+ is disabled, which does not seem to be the case with xl2546 non-S for example, no freesync there at all..

XL2746S specs if anyone is interested from benqs website(can right click and open image in new tab for full size):

anyway, think I will wait a few more weeks in worst case, to see if 2546S gets announced or listed on benqs site and if not will just get the 2746S I guess!

thanks for this great site Chief !

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Mar 2020, 03:33

alexander1986 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 03:04
Also good to know about the DyAc brightness , but does this by the way mean that brightness with DyAc+ enabled can not be adjusted though?
Brightness is still adjustable via the pulse width (persistence). The bottom line is that the maximum brightness is brighter than non-DyAc models.
alexander1986 wrote:
like when setting old lightboost to 10% intensity in toastyX strobelight
The DyAc has about 100 levels instead of just 10 levels of LightBoost.
alexander1986 wrote:
also lastly, primary reason I am interested in XL2746S / XL2546S (if 2546S ever comes out) is that these new models are based on the more recent "0.5 ms" 240hz TN panels vs the previous non-S models that have the "1ms" G2G spec,
Hopefully these will lead to less strobe crosstalk. Time will tell, in upcoming tests...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 25 Mar 2020, 06:12

Thanks again chief ! : )

jepalo

Post by jepalo » 31 Mar 2020, 00:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 23:57

Hi Chief, taking advantage of the discussion: is it possible to use the 182 hz blur buster "trick" but with the "blur reduction" Off on the Benq XL2540?
Thanks
xb271hu; xl2540; xl2546k

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2020, 00:09

jepalo wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 00:08
Hi Chief, taking advantage of the discussion: is it possible to use the 182 hz blur buster "trick" but with the "blur reduction" Off on the Benq XL2540?
Thanks
Yes but there is no benefit in doing so.

If your goal is 182fps cap, just enable FreeSync on your XL2540 which is already NVIDIA certified G-SYNC Comaptible too! And use a 180 or 182 cap. You'll get smoother-motion low lag that way than the 182 trick without blur reduction. The VRR on the XL2540 is almost lagless thanks to its full velocity 1/240sec scanouts at all VRR frame rates, so why use a cannon to shoot a fly?

<Technical>
It's superior and lower-lag to just simply enable FreeSync and use a 182 frame rate cap. The only way to match that latency is to use RTSS Scanline Sync + Quick Frame Transport (QFT) trick -- if that's why you're asking, trying to use a Large Vertical Total as a Quick Frame Transport for a VSYNC ON method. But that's using a cannon to shoot a fly -- just use easy FreeSync and a framerate cap. Logically, the capped-VRR method is already a natural VSYNC-ON-lookalike that already has automatic QFT that is hundreds times easier to reduce latency for a non-VSYNC-OFF technology. And if didn't even know about all of this, then there is almost no reasons to use the 182 Hz trick WITHOUT blur reduction. ;)
</Technical>

jepalo

Post by jepalo » 31 Mar 2020, 00:19

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 00:09
jepalo wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 00:08
Thanks
Yes but there is no benefit in doing so.

If your goal is 182fps cap, just enable FreeSync on your XL2540 which is already NVIDIA certified G-SYNC Comaptible too! And use a 180 or 182 cap. You'll get smoother-motion low lag that way than the 182 trick without blur reduction. The VRR on the XL2540 is almost lagless thanks to its full velocity 1/240sec scanouts at all VRR frame rates, so why use a cannon to shoot a fly?

<Technical>
It's superior and lower-lag to just simply enable FreeSync and use a 182 frame rate cap. The only way to match that latency is to use RTSS Scanline Sync + Quick Frame Transport (QFT) trick -- if that's why you're asking, trying to use a Large Vertical Total as a Quick Frame Transport for a VSYNC ON method. But that's using a cannon to shoot a fly -- just use easy FreeSync and a framerate cap. Logically, the capped-VRR method is already a natural VSYNC-ON-lookalike that already has automatic QFT that is hundreds times easier to reduce latency for a non-VSYNC-OFF technology. And if didn't even know about all of this, then there is almost no reasons to use the 182 Hz trick WITHOUT blur reduction. ;)
</Technical>
Thanks for the quick response. I can't always play Call of Duty at + 240fps. So I wanted to decrease the speed (hz) of the monitor but without losing the response time of 240hz.
xb271hu; xl2540; xl2546k

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2020, 00:24

jepalo wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 00:19
Thanks for the quick response. I can't always play Call of Duty at + 240fps. So I wanted to decrease the speed (hz) of the monitor but without losing the response time of 240hz.
Try enabling FreeSync + G-SYNC and use an in-game framerate cap of 180.
See how it 'feels'.

Unlike generic adaptive sync -- the NVIDIA-certified G-SYNC Compatible variants of FreeSync compatible monitors usually have more acceptable overdrive behaviours at lower frame rates, i.e. 180fps VRR more successfully maintaining the response-time of 240Hz, than the average generic adaptive-sync VRR monitor.

Now, if you are a tweaker that wants to really try out "all the combos" anyway to test Overdrive (AMA) quality:

That said, overdrive behaviours for the three options: (A) capped VRR 182fps at 240Hz, versus (B) Easy 182Hz Automatic Timings versus (C) 182Hz large-VT with Manual number entry. Overdrive might look somewhat 'different' on these 3 different modes, or 2 of them will have good overdrive, and 1 of them have bad overdrive. Try all AMA settings at all three. Also, you can use test any Hz (or VRR cap), 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, etc. The number 182 was just coincidential for some timings that looked good specifically for blur reduction. You will probably find the 182Hz large-VT mode fully superfluous without blur reduction, given the other 2 easier options -- it is not likely it will have any better overdrive than either one of the two other easier options.

Input lag projections
(based on generic scanout math based on knowledge from www.blurbusters.com/scanout ...)
If you use VSYNC OFF, the lag is probably approximately same for 182Hz large VT versus uncustomzied 182Hz (Auto Timings)
If you use VSYNC ON, the 182Hz large VT trick has slightly more lag than uncustomized 182Hz (Auto Timings)
If you use VRR, the lag is less with VRR + 182fps cap, than with anything 182Hz (large VT or Auto Timings).
If you use the complex trick RTSS S-SYNC + QFT, the 182Hz large VT trick has slightly less lag than uncustomized 182Hz (Auto Timings)