Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
HyperSlayer72

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by HyperSlayer72 » 26 Mar 2020, 13:33

Asked Rtings on twitter and it seems that due to covid19 and their testing suite they cannot do more thorough testing on BFI, Damn unfortunate that we got essentially no info on purexp other than a terrible photo at an unknown refresh rate with unknown purexp settings. Why is everyone fixated on the 165hz ips from viewsonic? Its just another monitor. This one needs drastically more attention.

Zealot

Post by Zealot » 26 Mar 2020, 13:39

The XG270QG model got a lot of media coverage, Viewsonic sponsored big streamers and youtubers (such as LTT) to feature it.

HyperSlayer72

Post by HyperSlayer72 » 26 Mar 2020, 15:27

I think the BFI Photo was just replaced with a slightly better one.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Mar 2020, 16:14

HyperSlayer72 wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 13:33
Asked Rtings on twitter and it seems that due to covid19 and their testing suite they cannot do more thorough testing on BFI, Damn unfortunate that we got essentially no info on purexp other than a terrible photo at an unknown refresh rate with unknown purexp settings. Why is everyone fixated on the 165hz ips from viewsonic? Its just another monitor. This one needs drastically more attention.
I have all three recent ViewSonics sitting here (XG270, XG270QG, XG270QC), and the best one for strobing is definitely the ViewSonic XG270, the Blur Busters Approved one.

There's a red phosphor on both the XG270QG and XG270QC that adds reddish-colored after images, as seen at www.blurbusters.com/red-phosphor
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ELK

Post by ELK » 28 Mar 2020, 01:22

Sorry to go off topic again...

I noticed the horizontal frequency limit of freesync is 255khz to 255khz.
As seen in the specs of the manual listed as "Video Sync":
HDMI: f(h):15-255 Khz, f(v):48-240 Hz
DisplayPort: f(h):255-255 Khz, f(v):48-241 Hz

Even with no blanking 255kHz can't reach 240hz @1080p.
Editing the "V rate" is simple. The default is 48 to 240 and limits the refresh rate.
The default horizontal frequency of 240hz is 278.123kHz.

This leaves me with some questions.

What is freesync "H rate"?
What will editing freesync "H rate" do?
Can the monitor actually hit 240Hz while free syncing with the default 255kHz limit?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Mar 2020, 14:53

ELK wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 01:22
Can the monitor actually hit 240Hz while free syncing with the default 255kHz limit?
It does. Now, I'm curious why it is limited to 255KHz, let me investigate since the absolute minimum scan rate (no VBI) is 1080 pixels times 240 equalling 259,200 pixel rows per second (259.2 KHz horizontal scan rate), but there's always a vertical total, even if it's only VT1090 (261KHz). I'll ask ViewSonic why the specs say only 255. Perhaps it's why the Overclock setting on the XG270 exists.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Mar 2020, 14:54

HyperSlayer72 wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 15:27
I think the BFI Photo was just replaced with a slightly better one.
One minor correction, the minimum BFI frequency is 75 Hz, created as a Custom Resoluton.

Also, the strobe pursuit they took appears to be the 240Hz one. Unfortunately that bumped BFI score down a bit, as 240Hz strobe is there as a nice-to-have, but is not as good quality (on practically any current panel for that matter) as 120Hz strobe, given technology limits. The RTINGS scoring system is not yet aware of “Refresh rate headroom is excellent for strobe quality”. This is understandable — few are aware of this technique yet.

The higher quality Blur Busters Approved strobe is in the 75Hz thru 144Hz range, but no vendor refresh rate limit lock to 240Hz strobe (unlike ULMB).

This means monitors with strobe refresh rate locks (like NVIDIA ULMB), will tend to get higher scores, because RTINGS scores strobe quality via the highest accessible strobe Hz, no matter how stellar the strobe quality of lower Hz is. So a manufacturer unlocking strobe Hz has its pros/cons.

At some point, I'm going to release an article about how refresh rate headroom is good for strobing quality (when doing quality-priority over Hz-priority).

Cattiy19

Post by Cattiy19 » 29 Mar 2020, 07:31

I have the XG270 since yesterday. I am in the process of testing new monitors. Before the XG270 I tested the Acer Nitro XF2 with the 0.5 ms TN panel.

I have to say that motion blur was recognizable less with the Acer. Thats without VRB and PureXP. I cannot stand backlight strobing. Unfortunately the Acer XF2 has an unusable bluelight filter, and no matter what I did, was not easy on may eyes.

Obviously the XG270 has the better colours.

Next I am considering a 1440p IPS panel monitor with 165hz, but that means even more motion blur as far as I understand?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Mar 2020, 18:56

Cattiy19 wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 07:31
Next I am considering a 1440p IPS panel monitor with 165hz, but that means even more motion blur as far as I understand?
-- Reducing refresh rate will increase motion blur. Halving refresh rate will typically double nonstrobed motion blur
-- Higher resolutions will mean bigger difference between stationary-vs-moving images. Moving images will have unchanged motion blur, but stationary images will be sharper, creating a bigger delta between stationary images versus moving images.

Consider a 1440p 240Hz monitor if you hate strobing and hate motion blur, but still want 1440p. And upgrade your graphics to maintain framerates (or use a frame rate amplification technology such as NVIDIA DLSS)

ELK

Post by ELK » 29 Mar 2020, 19:20

Cattiy19 wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 07:31
I have the XG270 since yesterday. I am in the process of testing new monitors. Before the XG270 I tested the Acer Nitro XF2 with the 0.5 ms TN panel.

I have to say that motion blur was recognizable less with the Acer. Thats without VRB and PureXP. I cannot stand backlight strobing. Unfortunately the Acer XF2 has an unusable bluelight filter, and no matter what I did, was not easy on may eyes.

Obviously the XG270 has the better colours.

You'll have more blurring with lower refresh rates. The XG270QG, or any panel using the same red phosphor, will have really beautiful reds but bad motion blur on them.
https://blurbusters.com/beautiful-red-p ... ion-badly/

Why can't you stand backlight strobing? If it's brightness that will be resolved.
There will be new firmware for the XG270 (no suffix) that let's you adjust the strobe length of PureXP. Currently the backlight is only on for 10% every refresh cycle. The new firmware will include options for 10% 20% 30% and 40% strobe length resulting in a much brighter picture.
Also keep in mind that headaches can occur up to around 100hz of any strobed light even though it's well past the flicker fusion threshold of human vision. Try 119hz (I think it looks better than 120hz, others have agreed) if you're getting headaches.

I'd imagine that there is software for blue light filtering. If so it wouldn't matter if there is an option on the monitor. XD

Chief is always saying the right tools for the right job. What are you using this monitor for?