Xg270 review out

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
hkngo007

Xg270 review out

Post by hkngo007 » 26 Mar 2020, 21:53

Hello

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... lite-xg270

Review is out for your viewing pleasure!

Pixel response times are disappointing and perhaps worst out of its competitors. It has 5 OD modes but surprisingly they appear about same.. 5.5 GtG avg.. not sure if something wrong with tests or monitor?

Enjoy and stay safe.

SEJB

Re: Xg270 review out

Post by SEJB » 27 Mar 2020, 04:18

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/vi ... qg.htm#lag

A bit different here but I'll probably skip. It's almost €1000 here

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 27 Mar 2020, 04:37

SEJB wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 04:18
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/vi ... qg.htm#lag

A bit different here but I'll probably skip. It's almost €1000 here

the monitor review you linked, xg270QG is not the same as the xg270 ?

144hz vs 240hz, either way the xg270 might have great strobing but I think that the newest generation of TN panels are still best choice for gaming purposes with or without strobing, out of all the new 240 hz IPS monitors I would say the asus vg259qm/vg279qm are the most decent choice right now, just my opinion of course..

also is it just me or is rtings reviews almost worthless? their motion blur and BFI photos/test section doesnt really say anything, how about some testUFO pictures/pursuit camera videos? ....

Cattiy19

Post by Cattiy19 » 27 Mar 2020, 07:09

A little bit disappointing. My XG270 is on its way. I will compare it to my Acer Nitro XF2.

At the moment I am testing new monitors. At the moment I am testing an Acer Nitro XF2 with 240hz and 0.5 ms and it has awesome motion clarity for my eyes. Unfortunately it hurts my eyes because, the bluelight filter is only available with min. 50 % display brightness, which is way to much.

SEJB

Post by SEJB » 27 Mar 2020, 09:28

Oh my bad, I didn't even notice it. The names are so similar and I just assumed it would be the 1440p one.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2020, 11:44

Wow - they tested sooner than expected, before the new (COVID-19 delayed) XG270 firmware came out.

One minor correction, the minimum BFI frequency is 75 Hz, created as a Custom Resoluton.

Also, the strobe pursuit they took appears to be the 240Hz one. Unfortunately that bumped BFI score down a bit, as 240Hz strobe is there as a nice-to-have, but is not as good quality (on practically any current panel for that matter) as 120Hz strobe, given technology limits. The RTINGS scoring system is not yet aware of “Refresh rate headroom is excellent for strobe quality”. This is understandable — few are aware of this technique yet.

The higher quality Blur Busters Approved strobe is in the 75Hz thru 144Hz range, but no vendor refresh rate limit lock to 240Hz strobe (unlike ULMB).

This means monitors with strobe refresh rate locks (like NVIDIA ULMB), will tend to get higher scores, because RTINGS scores strobe quality via the highest accessible strobe Hz, no matter how stellar the strobe quality of lower Hz is. So a manufacturer unlocking strobe Hz has its pros/cons.

At some point, I'm going to release an article about how refresh rate headroom is good for strobing quality (when doing quality-priority over Hz-priority).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Stitch7

Post by Stitch7 » 27 Mar 2020, 12:20

hey chief do you have the means to test it yourself and do some pictures of it at 120hz strobed?
I would like to see the true capabilities of your tweaked monitor

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2020, 12:31

Stitch7 wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 12:20
hey chief do you have the means to test it yourself and do some pictures of it at 120hz strobed?
I would like to see the true capabilities of your tweaked monitor
Measuring Equipment, yes.

However, I try not to compete against my ally monitor reviewers, since I supply the Blur Busters testing inventions that monitor reviewers use. That said, special edition tests are done from time to time (whether be G-SYNC 101 or other).

Once the new firmware comes out, or know it is about to, I'm going to be publishing more stuff about Blur Busters Approved (including refresh rate headroom demonstration photographs, taken from XG270). Keep tuned. However, someone else has posted photos of strobe crosstalk below.

Refresh rate headroom is very good for reducing strobe crosstalk. Strobed 120Hz mode on a 240Hz monitor has less crosstalk than strobed 120Hz on a 144Hz monitor in many situations.

Here are some XG270 pursuit photos for 100Hz and 120Hz, from this thread.

Certainly not perfect, but this is about the best 120Hz IPS strobing on the market (currently), from a crosstalk perspective. Pretty competitive with LightBoost, except it's an IPS panel and great colors. For more information, see Blur Busters Approved. If one tested ALL monitors for 120Hz strobe quality (rather than max Hz quality), the XG270 would pretty much rank pretty close to the top.

Sometimes the priority is max Hz, but other times, the priority is best quality at fps=Hz (CRT motion effect).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ain

Post by Ain » 30 Mar 2020, 00:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 12:31
If crosstalk is noticeable at 120hz, does it even make sense to use it at 240hz?
Is there any MBR except benq dyac that operates at 240hz and delivers good results?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2020, 14:07

Ain wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 00:51
If crosstalk is noticeable at 120hz, does it even make sense to use it at 240hz? Is there any MBR except benq dyac that operates at 240hz and delivers good results?
Just FYI -- the above pictures are extremly good -- one of the best for any IPS panel. In real world games, the crosstalk is generally invisible. TestUFO Crosstalk simply amplifies crosstalk to be much more visible than it usually is in real world. Just because a faint amount of crosstalk is visible in this particular TestUFO test, does not mean it is constantly visible in games.

Using it at 240Hz is a personal preference, latency-priority versus quality-priority strobing.