Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2020, 21:03

Update:

ViewSonic found the upgrade issue. They will fix for future upgraders.

Now awaiting instructions on what I should tell those of you with bricked monitors.

Stand by, I am awaiting further instructions from ViewSonic on what choices I'm allowed to provide to Blur Busters Forums readers.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Coloz

Post by Coloz » 30 Mar 2020, 21:52

If it has to go back to viewsonic, then I'm just gonna return it to amazon.

Anthony3187

Post by Anthony3187 » 30 Mar 2020, 22:13

Just wondering has anyone successfully been able to upgrade to the newest XG270 firmware yet? Also is this the firmware that includes the upgraded PureXP strobe brightness settings? Found a sweetspot at 225hz purexp with custom vertical total that has barely worse crosstalk than 144hz purexp... and would love to start playing csgo with PureXP on, just right now the brightness is way too low for that. Thanks!
Last edited by Anthony3187 on 30 Mar 2020, 22:34, edited 2 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2020, 22:16

Coloz wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 21:52
If it has to go back to viewsonic, then I'm just gonna return it to amazon.
For users who haven't upgraded, they found the problem, and the firmware is now yanked (mere hours after being available, thank goodness). It will no longer prompt you to upgrade, you can breathe now. This will be replaced by a good firmware upgrade shortly.

For users with monitors unable to power-on -- I now believe there may be a solution that doesn't require monitor shipping. I will know in less than 24 hours. Currently in emergency deliberations.

It is a late night for me -- I will do my best to obtain as much information as possible on the options.

We're going at high velocity behind the scenes...

Stand by.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2020, 22:40

tznch wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 07:37
Hi everyone. XG270 owner here. Today i noticed firmware upgrade for elite controller. Decided "why not". After update - my XG270 went off and dont go on anymore. However, USB hub works fine.
Cattiy19 wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 16:26
Same problem here...Immediately after starting the update process, the screen turned black. Sitting here for minutes. How long I am supposed to wait?
Coloz wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 20:03
Yep. Mine was also bricked in the same way. Turned off just after clicking update firmware and right after it was downloaded. Tried power unplugging power, nothing. Tried unplugging usb, nothing. Also tried holding down the power button and a combination of the other buttons nothing.
Express Expedited Hotfix
Users with bricked monitors, I have received a package with a solution (ONLY for bricked XG270 monitors)

Please email [email protected] with "ViewSonic XG270 Firmware Fix" in subject line, with information about your bricked monitor (please describe what happened, and describe if XG270 is gone or showing when right click Desktop -> Display Settings, and if it is still visible in Device Manager). Allow 24-48hours for a reply, because I have to personally test this package first. However, I post this now to inform you that there's a potential no-shipping-needed solution.

Note: This will not be useful for XG270 monitors that are not bricked. (Please wait for prompt from Viewsonic Elite Controller)
This is an express hot-fix software package specifically only for users of a bricked XG270.

Stand by... I am working overnight, working hard to make you all happy campers.

beerm0nkey

Post by beerm0nkey » 30 Mar 2020, 23:50

Greetings to all. I just got my XG270...and did NOT update it, fortunately. ;)

I'm very busy right now so have been putting it slowly through the paces, time permitting. Will probably take a few days, and I really want to explore the update once it is safe, of course.

I've got one comment, and one observation so far.

The comment is, whoa, I had just assumed that 60fps strobing was a feature. Oversight on my behalf, for sure. Haven't decided if this is a dealbreaker yet, but I honestly do not think the 'console' situation can be overstated. In addition to all the modern console users (Xbox 360 and onward) who could benefit from an optimal 60hz, there is a lot of growth in the retro console (original hardware and FPGA) on modern display segment of the hobby. I'm talking MiSTer, I'm talking the Analogue consoles like the Super NT, Mega SG, NT Mini, I'm talking native 1080p HDMI mods like Hi-Def NES, DCHDMI (Dreamcast), Ultra HDMI (N64), with more in development. I'm talking OG consoles using Framemeister and OSSC (doubler/scaler solutions). ALL of these are ~60hz, and all would benefit greatly from a 60hz strobe mode for XG270. This hobby is growing by leaps and bounds! See the 'RGB Masterclass' series of MLiG videos on YouTube if you aren't up to speed on this scene. This could be what gets me off of CRT for lots of these consoles, frankly, and I know the same is the case for many, many other people.

Something to consider seriously!

I might end up returning the display if we can't ever get 60hz, as the retrogaming thing is as big of a deal to me as the modern gaming.

The observation I have, is that the Battle Royale preset crushes the heck out of the color depth, resulting in banding and posterization and black crush. It's super noticeable, and I don't see it in any of the other presets.

That's all I've got so far. Good to be here, thanks for helping engineer this display, Chief. I'll contribute where I can to the community.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2020, 23:54

beerm0nkey wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 23:50
I might end up returning the display if we can't ever get 60hz, as the retrogaming thing is as big of a deal to me as the modern gaming.
Try testing 120Hz PureXP+ with RetroArch or MAME black-frame insertion.

On this specific IPS panel, "120Hz PureXP+ combined with 60Hz software BFI" looks identical to high-quality 60Hz hardware single-strobing. (No color-depth loss, no chess-board artifact -- just looks like pure 60Hz single strobe). You can view www.testufo.com/blackframes to see how good 60fps software strobing looks when combined with 120Hz PureXP+.

This has been a long-time bone of contention. We've been requesting multiple vendors to deploy 60Hz single-strobe -- Dear ViewSonic: Please Add 60 Hz Single-Strobe for PureXP on XG270. That will eliminate the need for software BFI for 60Hz single-strobe.

beerm0nkey

Post by beerm0nkey » 30 Mar 2020, 23:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 23:54
beerm0nkey wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 23:50
Try testing 120Hz PureXP+ with RetroArch or MAME black-frame insertion.
Not nearly as interested in emulators as real hardware and FPGA consoles. Totally different thing.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2020, 00:04

beerm0nkey wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 23:59
Not nearly as interested in emulators as just real hardware and FPGA consoles. Totally different thing.
Oh yes. VERY good point about 60 Hz single strobe:

Definitely, this is one of the reasons I've been asking vendors to deploy 60Hz single-strobe -- for consoles and for external 60Hz devices (nostagilia contexts of CRT emulation). I'm slowly making headway slowly convincing vendors to add an optional 60Hz single-strobe feature -- but it is taking time.

For now, the best public civic duty you can do is to post in this thread because I've been showing multiple big-name vendors that thread, to try and convince them to enable 60Hz single-strobe. I actually meet vendors from time to time, and it's definitely one of the big requests I keep bringing up.

Manufacterers don't want 60Hz because most users don't like 60hz single strobe, but it's so important for nostagilia purposes (Game consoles, CRT emulators, MAME emulators, FPGA consoles) where accurate CRT emulation is required.

I have heard of some hackers open up a monitor and strobe the backlight (with an Arduino) bypassing the existing backlight controller, and add 60Hz single strobe that way -- these are pretty creative display hackers. Though, currently, I haven't hard of this being done to a high end gaming monitor such as the XG270.

(Discussion on this resume in this thread, the 60Hz single-strobe discussion may be moved to that thread)

elexor

Post by elexor » 31 Mar 2020, 01:16

Thanks for fighting the good fight chief!

It's not just nostalgia as you know motion blur on a 60hz sample and hold is pretty bad. Even just halving persistence helps alot.