Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Apr 2020, 14:01

<Advanced RTSS Scanline Sync Question>
To other readers: This reply is not relevant if you don't use RTSS Scanline Sync + Quick Frame Transport You can instead use the easy factory PureXP+ modes instead.
ELK wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 02:13
Wow I've always pushed my tear line DOWN into the vblank (for example 1090 on a 1080p screen, instead of -10 or -50) Would this add an extra frame of input lag >.< You could edit the photo that says put RTSS tear line hear to mention ABOVE the frame with a negative number.
No, it doesn't mathematically work that way.

It's a total wraparound, look at the filmreels, refresh cycles are metaphorically an infinite loop. The latency is related to the ratio between VBI size and visible vertical resolution.

-- Which means when you have a small VBI, the latency is almost the same regardless whether you push the tearline above top / below bottom.
-- But if you have a large vertical total, you have noticeably lower lag if the tearline is just above top edge rather than bottom edge.
-- Moral of the story: Frame slices are independent gradients. The latency is always lowest in the pixel row immediately above a tearline, and the latency is always highest in the pixel row immediately below a tearline. In between two tearlines is a linear latency gradient. This even applies to tearing in the VBI (tearing doesn't exist in VBI, but you can still pretend they exist -- the math formulas for latency gradients are identical when you pretend there's a tearline on any VBI scanline beyond edge of the screen).

Mathematical Example: If your VBI is 420 pixels tall and your Active is 1080 tall (Vertical Total 1500 as an example, creating 1080 + 420), then 420/1500ths of a refresh cycle of latency adjustability occurs with a large VBI. Your worst-case lag offset is the tearline pushed just below bottom edge. Your best-case lag offset is the tearline pushed just above top edge. Your exact lag will depend on the "virtual tearline" within the VBI. You just have to pretend VBI is like extra "hidden computer resolution" that reconnects the bottom edge of the screen back to the top edge of the screen, in a continual looparound manner. VT1500 means your video cable is transmitting 1500 pixel rows for 1080p, of which 1080 rows of pixels are visible and 420 are blanking interval (VSYNC, VBI).

VBI = Vertical Back Porch + Vertical Sync + Vertical Front Porch.
Usually VBI is a tiny sliver (like photo of analog VSYNC like the black bar on 1970s analog TVs rolling with VHOLD). But the VBI can be huge (large vertical totals).

Once you understand this diagram better, please look at the PureXP+ Quick Frame Transport Trick filmreel scanout diagrams again -- in order to understand better -- and ask latency questions based on tearline position within the filmreel diagrams.
ELK wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 02:13
Increased the vBlank in strobed mode will push the strobe cycle earlier resulting in decreased input lag but while the backlight is on it will be showing more of the transition that strobe mode is designed to hide. I've tried it and it looks HORRIBLE. I wouldn't suggest this. Maybe a small tweak would be good though.
You can't modify numbers willy-nilly.

One have to understand exactly what each number does in Custom Resolution Utility. Most people do not know what a "Horizontal Front Porch" purpose is for, nor what is a "Pixel Clock". The strobe backlight has specific timing keys and the use of random vertical totals can improve or worsen strobe crosstalk. A CRU tweaking technique that works on say, vendor X (i.e. BenQ) may fail on vendor Y (i.e. ViewSonic) and vice-versa.

But fortunately, if you already have the new firmware, and you use only exactly only the numbers that I posted here, the crosstalk looks approximately the same (when using the new firmware), while you gain the ability to massively reduce the input lag of a "VSYNC ON lookalike" (RTSS Scanline Sync).

To other readers: This reply is not relevant if you don't use RTSS Scanline Sync + Quick Frame Transport You can instead use the easy factory PureXP+ modes instead.
</Advanced RTSS Scanline Sync Question>
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

shaolin95

Post by shaolin95 » 07 Apr 2020, 16:26

So I just got the XG270 today and I am not sure what to think about it. Surely the IQ is better than my XF272 X as expected but other things are bugging me. First, I connected to USB and so far no update is showing. I don't know where to check for the current firmware either.
Also, at 100Hz with PureXP it sure looks smooth but I prefer to play at 240Hz with the lowest lag possible for CSGO so maybe in the end TN is still a better option for me.
I do want to see how other games like Shadow of Mordor look at 100Hz with that super smooth setting.

Is everyone getting the firmware already?
Which would be my best combination for less lag for CSGO?
Thanks!

ELK

Post by ELK » 07 Apr 2020, 23:19

interesting. It does work. On the old firmware I used cru to create a custom resolution increasing the vertical total only for the 100hz mode to match the pixel clock of the 240hz mode and it created extremely visible blue ghosts in the center of the screen. Now it doesn't. I will use this trick for games that do not have an in-game fps limiter (or a bad one)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Apr 2020, 23:24

shaolin95 wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 16:26
So I just got the XG270 today and I am not sure what to think about it. Surely the IQ is better than my XF272 X as expected but other things are bugging me. First, I connected to USB and so far no update is showing. I don't know where to check for the current firmware either
Are you running the Viewsonic Elite Display Controller software?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ELK

Post by ELK » 07 Apr 2020, 23:37

shaolin95 wrote:
So I just got the XG270 today and I am not sure what to think about it. Surely the IQ is better than my XF272 X as expected but other things are bugging me. First, I connected to USB and so far no update is showing. I don't know where to check for the current firmware either.
Also, at 100Hz with PureXP it sure looks smooth but I prefer to play at 240Hz with the lowest lag possible for CSGO so maybe in the end TN is still a better option for me.
I do want to see how other games like Shadow of Mordor look at 100Hz with that super smooth setting.

Thanks!

For the least amount of lag use gsync + vsync(NVCP) + vsync disabled in-game + in-game fps limit that keeps gpu below 90% that is also not greater than 237 + NULL (nvidia ultra low latency)

This is important too but not setting related.
high HZ mouse (I overclock my cheap walmart mouse to 1000hz) & keyboard in PS2 slot

You could also switch your nvidia video card to message signal interrupt mode. I only say nvidia because i've never done it on an amd card. Nvidia defaults to interrupt request channel instead of message signal interrupt because it's not compatible with virtual machines. This has never been tested but theoretically it could decrease input lag. IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE TO MESSAGE SIGNAL INTERRUPT BECAUSE YOUR PC MAY BE UNABLE TO BOOT. Heed the warning.

I personally use 144hz with PureXP on normal with a frame cap of 150 and no syncing.

As the manual says to get the firmware you gotta download the software from:
https://www.viewsonic.com/elite/display-controller/
Connect the usb cable from your pc to the monitor.
The software should have a pop up asking you to update your firmware. Click it and wait.
I did not have the pop up (probably because I had custom resolutions through CRU) until I ran CRU's reset-all.exe, then it's restart64.exe

There is some other software that's just an rgb controller for the 1440p monitors i think. Make sure you downloaded the right one.

Anthony3187

Post by Anthony3187 » 08 Apr 2020, 17:13

shaolin95 wrote:

Thanks!
My personal favorite at the moment for image quality while still feeling very responsive with minimal input lag for CSGO is 225-230hz with LCD Standard timings on CRU. I usually strobe with Light or Normal PureXP+ with low lag vsync for good all around visibility and motion.

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 08 Apr 2020, 17:41

ELK wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 23:37

For the least amount of lag use gsync + vsync(NVCP) + vsync disabled in-game + in-game fps limit that keeps gpu below 90% that is also not greater than 237 + NULL (nvidia ultra low latency)

This is important too but not setting related.
high HZ mouse (I overclock my cheap walmart mouse to 1000hz) & keyboard in PS2 slot

You could also switch your nvidia video card to message signal interrupt mode. I only say nvidia because i've never done it on an amd card. Nvidia defaults to interrupt request channel instead of message signal interrupt because it's not compatible with virtual machines. This has never been tested but theoretically it could decrease input lag. IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE TO MESSAGE SIGNAL INTERRUPT BECAUSE YOUR PC MAY BE UNABLE TO BOOT. Heed the warning.

I personally use 144hz with PureXP on normal with a frame cap of 150 and no syncing.

As the manual says to get the firmware you gotta download the software from:
https://www.viewsonic.com/elite/display-controller/
Connect the usb cable from your pc to the monitor.
The software should have a pop up asking you to update your firmware. Click it and wait.
I did not have the pop up (probably because I had custom resolutions through CRU) until I ran CRU's reset-all.exe, then it's restart64.exe

There is some other software that's just an rgb controller for the 1440p monitors i think. Make sure you downloaded the right one.

keyboard in ps2 slot? really? :mrgreen:

thats the first time someone ever recommended that I think, also I never ever seen a top pro/competitive player play with anything other than high end mechanical keyboards and they all are connected via USB, i'm pretty sure you cant even connect them to ps2 slot even if you wanted since the protocol is not supported,

on the other hand if you have usb 2.0 ports and usb 3.0/3.1 ports separate on your motherboard I could see it being a good idea having the mouse on the usb 2.0 port and keyboard on 3.0/3.1 for example...

ELK

Post by ELK » 09 Apr 2020, 01:20

USB works with polling rates. Default is 125hz for keyboard and mice. Most if not all gaming mice are 1000hz but not all keyboard are 1000hz. You can actually overclock the polling rate just like for mice. A mouse in a ps2 slot is also polled at 100hz (overclockable to 200hz max) but the ps2 slot works with interrupts with a keyboard. A 125hz keyboard is 8ms lag, a 1000hz keyboard is 1ms lag, and an interrupt(ps2) keyboard is 0ms lag. Battle non sense tested it and ps2 did a bit better than the 1000hz by more than 1ms actually.

USB is better in the fact that you can press many keys at once depending on what your keyboard is capable of. My keyboard can only press a few keys at the same time when in usb so connecting it to the ps2 slot didn't matter much to me. 1000hz is arguably better because commands might be ignored if you're pressing too many keys. I think (not 100% sure) that the ps2 part of your keyboards brain is separate from the usb. I've read that modern keyboards aren't as good as old keyboards when it comes to the ps2 part if it even has them. Regardless you can overclock your usb slot to 1000hz that the keyboard is in but don't plug anything else into that slot until you un-overclock it.

The instructions are pretty bad. It took me a long time to get it running but here is the thread to overclock your usb ports.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mic ... 00-hz.html

edit: The longest portion of lag from a keyboard is the rebound delay.

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 09 Apr 2020, 11:27

ELK wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 01:20
USB works with polling rates. Default is 125hz for keyboard and mice. Most if not all gaming mice are 1000hz but not all keyboard are 1000hz. You can actually overclock the polling rate just like for mice. A mouse in a ps2 slot is also polled at 100hz (overclockable to 200hz max) but the ps2 slot works with interrupts with a keyboard. A 125hz keyboard is 8ms lag, a 1000hz keyboard is 1ms lag, and an interrupt(ps2) keyboard is 0ms lag. Battle non sense tested it and ps2 did a bit better than the 1000hz by more than 1ms actually.

USB is better in the fact that you can press many keys at once depending on what your keyboard is capable of. My keyboard can only press a few keys at the same time when in usb so connecting it to the ps2 slot didn't matter much to me. 1000hz is arguably better because commands might be ignored if you're pressing too many keys. I think (not 100% sure) that the ps2 part of your keyboards brain is separate from the usb. I've read that modern keyboards aren't as good as old keyboards when it comes to the ps2 part if it even has them. Regardless you can overclock your usb slot to 1000hz that the keyboard is in but don't plug anything else into that slot until you un-overclock it.

The instructions are pretty bad. It took me a long time to get it running but here is the thread to overclock your usb ports.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mic ... 00-hz.html

edit: The longest portion of lag from a keyboard is the rebound delay.
well, many if not most of the highend mechanical gaming keyboards today have 1000hz polling, at least when im looking at specs of steelseries and corsair keyboards which probably are the most used ones, do you mean this test by battlenonsense btw?:

looks like the corsair k70 usb keyboard at 1000hz beats the ps/2 one pretty handily? im certain that highend keyboards like that k70 rapidfire one has decent electronics and signal processing that outclasses any ps2 keyboard and thats the reason of the better numbers we see here..

either way I believe there is a reason competitive pro players / streamers play with these highend mechanical usb keyboards instead of legacy ps2 keyboards, IDK

but if you find a legit test of a mechanical gaming keyboard with ps/2 input i'd like to see it anyway just out of curiosity, cheers!

ELK

Post by ELK » 10 Apr 2020, 01:01

The longest delay from the keyboard is the rebound delay. The quickest keyboard went from 24.6(125hz) to 21.67(1000hz) while the slower keyboard showed the best improvement 40(125hz) to 31.4(ps2). The test shows that going from 125hz to ps2 is a bigger improvement than going from 125hz to 1000hz but the test also shows that which keyboard you're using itself is more important.