BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 9187
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Apr 2020, 14:45

If you enable blur reduction during overclocking, please overclock with Blur Reduction turned off first.

If you do want to use blur reduction along with overclocking -- make sure you set Crosstalk or Area to 0 -- all the way to the left. ("Cosstalk" 0 in Strobe Utility, "Area" 0 in Factory Menu). And makes sure Persistence is at a fairly low setting (dark). If it's bright at a lower Hz, it might try to go overbright at higher Hz, causing the overvoltage fault protection circuit to prevent the strobe backlight from continuing to strobe.

Another reason for the Blur Reduction strobe backlight to go completely dark if your strobe phase is beyond the end of the refresh cycle due to the math round-off errors in strobe pulse phase (becomes 0). You would have a non-backlit picture because the strobe backlight is not strobing at all during overclocking. The Blur Reduction strobe backlight sometimes has bugs during overclocking.

TL;DR: if you begin overclocking, turn off Motion Blur Reduction first. But not before you reset the Blur Reduction settings (darker pulse width / short strobe legnth + zero-out the Crosstalk/Area). That way when you turn Blur Reduction back on, it won't be the first part to glitch during overclocking.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

User avatar
exdablju
Posts: 13
Joined: 07 Mar 2020, 08:54

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Post by exdablju » 06 Apr 2020, 18:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 14:45
If you enable blur reduction during overclocking, please overclock with Blur Reduction turned off first.

If you do want to use blur reduction along with overclocking -- make sure you set Crosstalk or Area to 0 -- all the way to the left. ("Cosstalk" 0 in Strobe Utility, "Area" 0 in Factory Menu). And makes sure Persistence is at a fairly low setting (dark). If it's bright at a lower Hz, it might try to go overbright at higher Hz, causing the overvoltage fault protection circuit to prevent the strobe backlight from continuing to strobe.

Another reason for the Blur Reduction strobe backlight to go completely dark if your strobe phase is beyond the end of the refresh cycle due to the math round-off errors in strobe pulse phase (becomes 0). You would have a non-backlit picture because the strobe backlight is not strobing at all during overclocking. The Blur Reduction strobe backlight sometimes has bugs during overclocking.

TL;DR: if you begin overclocking, turn off Motion Blur Reduction first. But not before you reset the Blur Reduction settings (darker pulse width / short strobe legnth + zero-out the Crosstalk/Area). That way when you turn Blur Reduction back on, it won't be the first part to glitch during overclocking.
Thanks for help! My current settings looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/uHYfEHF. I will try OC with crosstalk on 0. I can't turn on blur reduction after overclocking :( If i click any of the monitor buttons there is no menu popping up, but three options for source of the monitor (Dvi, hdmi, dsub). If i choose any of them OOR appear and i have to switch back to 2nd monitor. Actually even on this settings if it gonna happen i can deal with it so can this be dangerous? Can this damage monitor or something?

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 9187
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Apr 2020, 13:52

exdablju wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 18:46
Thanks for help! My current settings looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/uHYfEHF. I will try OC with crosstalk on 0. I can't turn on blur reduction after overclocking :( If i click any of the monitor buttons there is no menu popping up, but three options for source of the monitor (Dvi, hdmi, dsub). If i choose any of them OOR appear and i have to switch back to 2nd monitor. Actually even on this settings if it gonna happen i can deal with it so can this be dangerous? Can this damage monitor or something?
The overclocking wont, but on certain early firmwares XL2720Z and XL2420Z, there is possibility of excess overvoltage in the voltage-boosted strobe backlight due to a known bug in those early firmwares. Fortunately, for your model, the backlight-stuck-off condition is because there seems to be an out-of-bounds error for Crosstalk in the strobe backlight when overclocked.

Also, blur reduction is better at lower Hz anyway, due to the fact that refresh-rate headroom is very good for strobe backlight modes. (reduced strobe crosstalk).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

dsambur
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Apr 2020, 17:00

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Post by dsambur » 09 Apr 2020, 17:04

Hi!
My monitro benq xl2536 OC to 260 on 1600x900 with dyac and blur reduction. It's safe?
200 hz with dyac and blur reduction is safe? Or i must downgrade hz?
And general qustions: i oc on 1600x900 and play fortnite ingame 1920x1080 resolution, because it's decrease my input lag.
Does it make sense from such overclocking?

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 9187
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Apr 2020, 23:15

dsambur wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 17:04
My monitro benq xl2536 OC to 260 on 1600x900 with dyac and blur reduction. It's safe?
260Hz overclock via reduced resolution? Wow.

That would be a record for a 144Hz BenQ.

Are you able to post a frameskip photograph of www.testufo.com/frameskipping ?

This will tell us whether or not 260 Hz is working successfully.

As for safety, it is relatively safe unless you try to use strobe backlight at the same time on older versions (voltage boosted backlight bugs on early versions of XL2720Z). Your XL2536 is immune to this, I believe.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

urut
Posts: 111
Joined: 08 Aug 2014, 13:15

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Post by urut » 11 Apr 2020, 11:23

dsambur wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 17:04
Hi!
My monitro benq xl2536 OC to 260 on 1600x900 with dyac and blur reduction. It's safe?
200 hz with dyac and blur reduction is safe? Or i must downgrade hz?
And general qustions: i oc on 1600x900 and play fortnite ingame 1920x1080 resolution, because it's decrease my input lag.
Does it make sense from such overclocking?
Can you type a CRU values from 260hz overclock? I will try it too

sai_kiran
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Apr 2020, 04:44

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 144Hz 1080p

Post by sai_kiran » 12 Apr 2020, 04:51

Can I overclock BenQ xl2546 ?

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 9187
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 144Hz 1080p

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Apr 2020, 13:05

sai_kiran wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 04:51
Can I overclock BenQ xl2546 ?
No.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

youbekay
Posts: 7
Joined: 16 Apr 2020, 11:56

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Post by youbekay » 16 Apr 2020, 13:14

edit: remove this post pls
Last edited by youbekay on 30 Apr 2020, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

youbekay
Posts: 7
Joined: 16 Apr 2020, 11:56

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Post by youbekay » 16 Apr 2020, 17:57

edit: remove this post please.
Last edited by youbekay on 30 Apr 2020, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply