05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RLCSContender*

05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by RLCSContender* » 18 Apr 2020, 01:54

Moderator Alert wrote: January 14th, 2021
Thread Locked
See Reason -- RLCScontender suspended
EDIT MAY 22 2020 EDIT. Click on page 23 and 24 for the MAy 22 2020 update. All of the results are in.

Covid-19 lockdowns, i have plenty of time in my hands and there have been an influx of 240hz IPS monitors. So i took advantage of amazon's generous return policy and recycled my money over and over so i can try out MOST ips 240hz monitors. Keep in mind, i'm only comparing these AMONGST EACH OTHER. All of these panels in my opinion are exceptional and a good purchase if you think 144hz is giving too much motion blur(which is does). Lastly, this is in the context of competitive gaming and OVERALL. I put a heavy emphasis on "competitive gaming" since majority of people who purchase these monitors intend to use these for that reason only.

SS Tier

Tie between

#1MSI optix MAG251rx(#1 G2G, #1 colors(the only 10 bit IPS 240hz monitor, has backlight strobing at 240hz and below) it's also the best playstation 4/playstation 5/xbox one x/xbox series x) 240hz ips panel since it has VRR HDMI up to 240hz. Most importantly, you can keep your overdrive to "faster" and have little to no over shoot at MAJORITY OF ITS ADAPTIVE SYNC RANGE. 60hz-144hz(weird how hardware unboxed claimed overshoot at 144hz on "faster" when i myself didn't notice much if at at). Just put it to "faster" and you're set. OR put it to "fast" if uu dn't want to see any overshoot. (however, do NOT put it to "fast" if the framerate is 200+hz because the response time compliance would be too slow when its refreshing at 240hz at 4.17 ms)

cons

Backlight strobing is too dim
to play and u cannot adjust the brightness. WTF, i was pissed when i found this out. But the crosstalk isn't as aggressive as elmb-sync so it is useable, u just have to tolerate the low brightness.

I dont know if this is anecdotal evidence but both of the MSI i've used has bad image retention. Either this is a panel variance or ALL of the MSI mag models have image retention(which may lead to burn in). Youc an easily test this by simply doign a ghosting test and after 10 mins, exit your internet explorer screen and yous ee those white dots(presuming of course you are using a black background).

Has the worst stand. No swivel no pivot. Just height(although its height adjustment is very good)

#1Asus TUF VG279qm/VG259qm(#1 MPRT at HIGH framerates ONLY, ELMB-SYNC is useful at high framerates which means the motion clarity and of ELMB-SYNC at 280hz overclock should be more sharp than any TN monitor right now. Strobe crosstalk isn't noticeable at very high framerates, and even if it was, the trade off is Motion clarity). This is the only IPS 240hz panel that can stand up to the TOP TNs. omen x25s or benq Zowies, or G sync predator TNs, AOC Agons, etc becauase 280hz is still 280hz, ELMB-SYNC is STILL ELMB sync. it's also future proofed because even if other future 240hz ips panels overclock their panels to 280hz, it won't have ELMB-SYNC.

The overshoot is more noticeable at 240hz than the Asus. I know this because in early transitions, i see blue halos. The trade off is a faster g2g response time. Feel free to click on my profile and see the topic i made of these measurements.

cons

response time compliance at 280hz overclock isn't up to snuff. Its response time is too slow to keep up with the refresh rate at 280hz which causes pixel smearing and ghosting ./ e. From what I heard, this causes more input lag. I've tested this and i havn't really noticed it but in the back of my head. ELMB-SYNC mitigates this issue.

ELMB-SYNC is useful above 200hz, nearly useless under 180hz framerates. Its locked at overdrive 80 which is in SYNC if the framerate is above 200hrz(although the crosstalk i s still too aggressive, mroeso than the MSI at 200hz, so you would need to try to go for 240hz and above. If you do, it's not as bad. Unfortunately, below 200hz, this monitor is very impractical for general adaptive sync gaming since the overdrive setting is more convuluted and confusing than MSI's 3 overdrive setting(just Put it on FASTER or "fast" if the FPS is under 200hz on the MSI and you're good).

S Tier

#2 [i]Viewsonic Elite XG270 [/i](will main the 25 inch version i f it ever gets released). In a practical sense, it has the best implementation of its backlight strobing for a wide variety of games at useable framerates(the adaptive sync range). This is the best 1st generation panel because backlight strobing mitigates the 1st generation weaker response time compliance for 240hz refresh rates*(4.17ms). Therefore you won't see much pixel smearing/ghosting compared to the other 1st generation 240hz IPS monitors if you use its backlight strobing mode. MPRT is very important in the competitive scene. and this is the best implementation of it overall. I have chosen this as my 2nd main. Without the stroving, at 240hz, it's indistinguishable from the MSI and the asus. 240hz is still 240hz. Those "UFO tests" isn't an indication of actual GAMING experience.

A tier

#3 Alienware AW2521HF.
Same AU Optronics panel as the MSI optix MAG251rx and the Asus TUF VG279qm/VG259qm but why A tier?

-NO BACKLIGHT STROBING. Ever had one of those days where you are just playing horrible? Playing on tilt? and need a change of gameplay? what i usually do to break that cycle is to switch to motion blur reduction. That extra "SHARPNESS of fast moving objects" will REMOVE tilt and will sub consciously make you a more accurate player whether you are shooting the ball in rocket league or getting that perfect headshot on any FPS title. Welp, the alienware doesn't have backlight strobing. (at least for me).

-you have to turn on adaptive sync to make "extreme" overdrive useable, otherwise anything above the standard overdrive, you see ghosting. (THIS ADDS INPUT LAG). Esports or hardcore competitive players DO NOT USE ADAPTIVE SYNC BECAUSE OF INPUT LAG. At these ridiculously high framerates and high 240hz refresh rate monitor. Tearing isn't really noticeable and its freesync/gsync compatible VRR''s added input lag in MY opinion is NOT a good trade off in the context of high level gameplay at high framerates.

i don't know who the genius is who made this monitor but no backlight strobing and forcing adaptive sync? Does DELL not not know that at 240hz, these monitors are used for high level high framerate competitive gaming and not for casual use.

if however youa re using this monitor for NON competitive gaming, then i guess the 25" alienware IPS is just as good as the MSI or the 280hz Asus in that regard if not better. Maybe in the future, there is a firmware update where they reduce the input lag of FORCED adaptive sync? Even then, no backlight strobing is a major dealbreaker. . I ALWAYS STROBE as a way to break a bad losing streak and most of the time, it works for me. (then again, i only speak for myself when it comes to breaking bad losing streaks in competitive game, i'm sure others have other ways to deal with "losing streaks" but backlight strobing option is the one I personally use to break a bad streak).

PROS

Ergonomics are top notch. It's also the 2nd best looking monitor(it's beautiful, good quality and a good price). From my reserach has very good warrantee.

It's still just as fast as the ASus or the MSI( but forcing adaptive sync to avoid overshoot, if that is allowed then u might as well allow 100 overdrive setting on the ASUS vg279qm/vg259qm and enjoy its 0.8 g2g response time with massive overshoot. (just don't barf when you play fast paced games seeing blue artifacts/rings everywhere.

C tier

#4 Dell Alienware AW2520hf according to my research online(it's the fastest 1st generation IPS monitor, but the response time compliance is "barely" keeping up with the 240hz refereshing at 4.17ms). Although pixel smearing isn't that noticeable anyway at 240hz framerates. From what i've read, this really doesn't give you a true 240hz experience. I myself havn't tried this monitor but i'm fairly certain those sources are correct. This is one of the first ips 240hz monitors that have been released.

F minus tier(i skipped D tier, but i like the word "F" better than "d"

#5 Acer Nitro XF252Q s(i havn't tried this, but from what i heard, it's really not giving anyone a true 240hz experience due to the fact that the g2g nresponse time is too slow to keep up with the 240hz refresh rate of 4.17ms). i don't know how rtings is riding this monitor's nuts(excuse me for my vulgar slang).

Z tier($400 riding the coattails of its more successful 144hz nano cousin).

#6 LG 27gn750(no backlight strobing, no wide gamut nano panel although it has the best viewing angles, best color accuracy, and best color uniformity, and it's the best LOOKING 240hz ips monitor. If this had the NANO wide gamut, i would put this to SS tier. Nope, it's nothiing but a 240hz cash grab with barebones features. Still, it'sroughly just as fast as the 27gl850 and the xg270qg with less motion blur due to high 240hz refresh rate which adds better motion clarity to fast moving objects.
Last edited by RLCScontender on 22 May 2020, 18:43, edited 3 times in total.

forii

Re: 04/18/2020. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by forii » 18 Apr 2020, 08:04

Well, I have 144hz TN with 5-6ms response time and input lag around 7ms and I was playing better on that compare to my Asus VG259QM with 4~ms response time and input lag around 2,8ms... I was playing better due to motion blur difference and I needed to get used to that

So response time in MS is for me bullshit, it doesnt matter, 2ms, 6ms, 3ms, you dont see difference, what interesting me it's motion blur and ghosting.

So my question is:
- How is the motion blur on that MSI (S tier) compare to the Asus?

Did you test it?

Is it better or worse ? Thats what I want to know. And for me that is most important, the next one is visibility in games (for example shadow boost). How is that if you compare asus vs Msi?

I don't care about colors, I care about motion blur and visibility only. And in that case any TN should be better compare to IPS. Unfortunately.

Edit.
What about: Acer Nitro VG252QXBMIIPX? It is even 0,5ms~ but ofc no tests about that.

Edit2.

i found the motion blur on that MSI MAG, for me its trash, if this is so much ghosting and bluring, here is the picture:

And here is the motion blur of the asus vg279qm(no elmb! 240hz)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title

RLCSContender*

Re: 04/18/2020. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by RLCSContender* » 18 Apr 2020, 17:49

forii wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 08:04
Well, I have 144hz TN with 5-6ms response time and input lag around 7ms and I was playing better on that compare to my Asus VG259QM with 4~ms response time and input lag around 2,8ms... I was playing better due to motion blur difference and I needed to get used to that

So response time in MS is for me bullshit, it doesnt matter, 2ms, 6ms, 3ms, you dont see difference, what interesting me it's motion blur and ghosting. My nano ips viewsonic elite xg270qg will EASILY smoke your TN monitor.

So my question is:
- How is the motion blur on that MSI (S tier) compare to the Asus?

Did you test it?

Is it better or worse ? Thats what I want to know. And for me that is most important, the next one is visibility in games (for example shadow boost). How is that if you compare asus vs Msi?

I don't care about colors, I care about motion blur and visibility only. And in that case any TN should be better compare to IPS. Unfortunately.

Edit.
What about: Acer Nitro VG252QXBMIIPX? It is even 0,5ms~ but ofc no tests about that.

Edit2.

i found the motion blur on that MSI MAG, for me its trash, if this is so much ghosting and bluring, here is the picture:

And here is the motion blur of the asus vg279qm(no elmb! 240hz)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title
You shouldn't be taking advice or information from review websites because a lot of them spread misinformation to get commissions from affiliate marketing. Financial incentive is a major problem among the review communities. I'm a perfectionist and i just wanted to see for myself and because of the covid-19 lockdowns, i had plenty of time in my hands.

your TN is less blurry because at 144hz, your monitor is compliant with the refresh rate(no overshoot and no pixel smearing). My viewsonic elite xg270qg (Nano IPS with G sync hardware) will easily smoke your TN in terms of g2g average.

THe 280hz asus and the MSI 251rx does have slight overshoot since it's not 100% compliant with the 240hz refresh rate. however, both monitors are 90% compliant at 240hz which is very good and NOT noticeable at all and both monitors will give everyone a true 240hz experience.

if i put my MSI's refresh rate down to 144hz, it's STILL faster than your TN w/ no overshoot. At 60hz, it's not even close. the MSI is the best CONSOLE monitor and the fastest IPS monitor in terms of g2g average.

I''ve photographed the UFO ghosting tests on the FASTEST 1440P IPS MONITOR, and the best overall monitor TODAY. This is WITH g-sync and variable overdrive. The MSi still smoked it easily. These UFO tests isn't indicative of actual gameplay btw because even with variable overdrive at 165hz and pushing 4ms response time on its standard setting, it's STILL not as fast as the MSI.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 18 Apr 2020, 18:38

Before i even post results of the MSI, i want you to prove to me the UFO ghosting tests for your TN. A video is a PERFECT proof of this. If what you said is true that your TN can smoke a 240hz IPS monitor, then FOR SURE, your "TN monitor" can smoke my Viewsonic elite xg270qg EASILY. We compare the results and if your TN monitor has better results, then I WILL post my MSI results.

Vewsonic ELITE XG270QG (the best OVERALL monitor today 1440p g-sync 165hz 98% DCI-P variable overdrive V sync ON)

Visual acuity distance STATIONARY camera.

VIDEO of ghosting test. (stationary in the beginning and as the video continues, will use pursuit. This is on standard overdrive setting, v sync on).*Thanks Chief for telling me that all u needed was a regular smart phone camera. I assumed you needed those expensive equipment that the youtubers use.

phpBB [video]

if you can PROVE your TN ghosting test can beat my viewsonic elite xg270qg on the pursuit test. Then i will post my results with the MSI optix MAG251rx.

Here's a TEASER(STATIONARY of my MSI Optix MAG251RX

i'm fairlyl certain you have a defective product. RMA y our ASUS and get a replacement.(presuming if that you said is TRUE that your TN can smoke your asus)

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 18 Apr 2020, 18:55

the Acer predator XB253QG/XB273QG who's claiming 0.5ms response time. It's not yet sold in the United States so i'm not able to purchase it and test it yet.

Will defnitely order it once they start selling it here in the United States. Due to covid-19 lockdowns and banning/limiting new shipments, it probably won't be here for a while.

I will compare it to the MSI. i want to see if the predator can beat the MSI becuase the MSI has beaten EVERY 240hz IPS panel so far(and i've tested almost all of them).

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 18 Apr 2020, 21:34

Alienware AW2521HF would've been the best monitor if it had

1. Backlight strobing
2. the option to turn g-sync/v-sync OFF (and still have no overshoot on its extreme mode)
3. HDR

if it abided by those three reasons, it would undoubtedly be the BEST IPS 240hz monitor PERIOD.

These three reasons are the main reasons why it's not remotely close to being as good as the MSi or the 280hz asus because the MSI/Asus has backlight strobing, HDR, and doesn't need adaptive sync to avoid overshoot becuaes at overdrive "80"on the asus and overdrive "faster" on the MSI, although there is slight overshoot (90% compliance butmoreso on the MSI), it's not nearly as noticeable at 240z framerates.

Also, future proofing isn't great for the alienware because you are STUCK at 240hz(237hz if u want to use g sync) framerate due to adaptive sync being needed to keep overshoot in check. with GPUs becoming more powerful, there will be GPus that will enable very very high framerates and monitors(particularly the upcoming 360hz G-SYNC monitor).

what Dell did not understand is that when you implement a 240hz panel from AO optronics, the people who purchase these types of products are going to use it for high competitive gameplay. I believe the input lag you get from forcing our hand on turning Gsync/freesync ON and being stuck at 240hz framerate to keep it on, WHILE no backlight strobing and HDR are the MAIN reasons why it's not even REMOTELY close to being as good as the 280hz asus and the 240hz MSI

I know most people will not like reading this...it but i'm a big proponent of being "blunt" and "honest". Again, the Alienware is a phenomenal monitor, and if you don't like backlight strobing, and prefer to have your framerate capped at 237hz to have adaptive sync on(thus NO tearing and buttery smooth gameplay), then YES, pick the alienware. But can you beat someone using a TN benq zowie, or TN omen x25, or tn Nitro XV272u w/ uncapped framerate and virtually zero input lag with those specs?..

For most people who play esports titles, the meta is generally adaptive sync OFF while capping framerates to avoid input lag. Low Input lag is among the most important aspects of competitive gameplay. If there are two skilled players, one has lower input lag then the other and their skill is very similar, the person with the lowest input lag wins(especially in rocket league where ONE small delay, that 90 degree flick will turn into a 45 degree flick. It's a very dexterity heavy game and input lag is the major variable that will negatively impact your mechanics.

enescelik

Post by enescelik » 19 Apr 2020, 04:57

This is some solid work man thank you for your efforts. Just to clarify things, did you put xg270 to s tier because it's a 27 inch 1080p monitor? I mean would you put it to SS tier if it were a 24 inch 1080p monitor?
Last edited by enescelik on 19 Apr 2020, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

forii

Post by forii » 19 Apr 2020, 05:52

RLCScontender wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 18:38
Before i even post results of the MSI, i want you to prove to me the UFO ghosting tests for your TN. A video is a PERFECT proof of this. If what you said is true that your TN can smoke a 240hz IPS monitor, then FOR SURE, your "TN monitor" can smoke my Viewsonic elite xg270qg EASILY. We compare the results and if your TN monitor has better results, then I WILL post my MSI results.

Vewsonic ELITE XG270QG (the best OVERALL monitor today 1440p g-sync 165hz 98% DCI-P variable overdrive V sync ON)

Visual acuity distance STATIONARY camera.

VIDEO of ghosting test. (stationary in the beginning and as the video continues, will use pursuit. This is on standard overdrive setting, v sync on).*Thanks Chief for telling me that all u needed was a regular smart phone camera. I assumed you needed those expensive equipment that the youtubers use.

phpBB [video]

if you can PROVE your TN ghosting test can beat my viewsonic elite xg270qg on the pursuit test. Then i will post my results with the MSI optix MAG251rx.

Here's a TEASER(STATIONARY of my MSI Optix MAG251RX

i'm fairlyl certain you have a defective product. RMA y our ASUS and get a replacement.(presuming if that you said is TRUE that your TN can smoke your asus)
My asus isnt defective product, why it should be..

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear and that's why we didn't understand each other. When I wrote about motion blur, I meant clarity during movement on that ufo test. How is the clarity of the "enemy"(ufo) during movement. And all of the TN's monitors 240hz or even 144hz always has better clarity while moving, unfortunately. Im not talking about ghosting, while this is very minimal.

I have seen your Vievsonic Video of ghosting test and trust me, my TN has 3x better clarity of that "ufo" while moving.

I downgrade my 240hz ASus to 144hz and the motion clarity is even worse on 144hz compare to 240hz.

But it's good that you posted a picture of that MSI, now I know its not so blurry while moving and quite similar to my asus, unfortunately not same like on 144hz TN panels, but IPS will never have same motion clarity, cuz its IPS. But now I know that MSI/ASus has only 2x less visible clarity compare to my old TN. I think I just need to get used to this.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 19 Apr 2020, 06:36

with all due respect, i won't even dignify replying to you if you cannot provide evidence of your claims. Because quite frankly, i don't believe you.

a 144hz, 5ms response time TN is faster than a 240hz, 4ms(3.7ms when i measured it) IPS like the asus? That is literally impossible. Because at higher refresh rates, the better the motion clarity.

TN is TN, not even the covid-19 pandemic will get TN monitors to sell. Your defective Asus vg259qm doesn't speak for every asus monitor. Get it RMA'd and please show me a stationary and pursuit video of the UFO test on your 144hz TN. I would definitely love to see if you think it's remotely faster than a 165hz viewsonic nano monitor. if you do show evidence disproving me, i will show you how much clearer the 240hz MSi is when it comes to fast moving objects.

With that being said, i will take everything you said with a grain of salt unless you provide video evidence backing up your claims. No video=no reply from me.

Gonna be honest with ppl here. 1-2 yrs from now, TN's advantage over IPS is gone. The 240hz IPS monitors are here and a few of them can stand toe to toe with the best TNs, with the luxury of the best viewing angles, most accurate colors, and better contrast ratios.

if a nano IPS 240hz monitor come out, sign me up.

PS i've remained cordial with that post, so don't feel as if i'm being condescending. I wasn't. however, nobody will belileve anything you are saying unless YOU can provide direct evidence of your claims WITHOUT using words. Talk is cheap

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 19 Apr 2020, 06:48

enescelik wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 04:57
This is some solid work man thank you for your efforts.
Thanks, i have a lot of time on my hands due to quarantine so i made it a hobby checking out all the 240hz IPS monitors.

i think my amazon ban is imminent since those douchenozzles keeps on harassing me about my returns. Then again, i've already made up my mind on which monitors i will main for the time being.

can't really discuss the g2g average of the AW since dell watches this forum like a hawk. Here's a hint, it has 3 overdrive settings just like the MSI using the same AU optronics model.