G-sync + V-sync on 240Hz with often fps under 240fps

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
forii

G-sync + V-sync on 240Hz with often fps under 240fps

Post by forii » 13 May 2020, 17:23

Yo guys,

I wonder what is an advantage to keep on both g-sync + v sync on 240hz in a shooter game when fps are much often bellow 240hz.

Does it need to cap fps using RTSS if my fps are always never above 240, only for a sec?

I play CoD MW/Warzone and in-game limiter is bugged because it works only at 250fps cap/200 fps cap/166 fps cap/140 fps

When I had 144hz and I wanted to use g-sync and v-sync in same time I had to cap fps, because my fps was much often above 144fps... but... on 240Hz in Cod I much often go fps bellow 240hz, like 220-200, even 170.

Should I turn g-sync compatible only? Or is a must to have also v-sync on?

What is the advantage with fps bellow 240hz to keep:
1) G-sync ON
2) only v-sync on
3) G-sync + v sync on

Does NULL at ultra might help to cap automaticly fps bellow 240hz? I heard for lowest input lag we should use NULL turned ON only, not ultra or never off.

I don't want any kind of input lag but I want the smooth as butter vision.

NULL at ultra can lock fps without input lag? ofc I can't do that in game limiter because I would need to cap fps at 200, even tho my avg fps are 200 actually, but sometimes 220~ and on 220 it feel smoother.
also as we know capping fps causes input lag.

Can't decide on this, if I really should bother with g-sync comp or v-sync in a quite competive game, even tho its not e-sport.

I would not ever think about g-sync/v-sync in games with fps above 244 fps like overwatch, quake etc...
but in this case it might gives me some advantage i think

jorimt

Re: G-sync + V-sync on 240Hz with often fps under 240fps

Post by jorimt » 13 May 2020, 17:49

forii wrote:
13 May 2020, 17:23
I wonder what is an advantage to keep on both g-sync + v sync on 240hz in a shooter game when fps are much often bellow 240hz.

Does it need to cap fps using RTSS if my fps are always never above 240, only for a sec?
It's not mandatory in this case, but there's no harm in keeping it enabled, just in cases the FPS does exceed 240 (for instance, in some game menus, looking up at the sky, down at the ground, etc).
forii wrote:
I play CoD MW/Warzone and in-game limiter is bugged because it works only at 250fps cap/200 fps cap/166 fps cap/140 fps
Yes, it's bugged, keep using RTSS.
forii wrote:
When I had 144hz and I wanted to use g-sync and v-sync in same time I had to cap fps, because my fps was much often above 144fps... but... on 240Hz in Cod I much often go fps bellow 240hz, like 220-200, even 170.
Capping for consistency reasons is perfectly fine with G-SYNC. Also, if you cap to a level that prevents max GPU usage, you will reduce/eliminate the pre-rendered frames queue (not related to G-SYNC, but notable).
forii wrote:
Should I turn g-sync compatible only? Or is a must to have also v-sync on?
If you want 100% tear-free G-SYNC within the refresh rate, leave the V-SYNC option on, within this range, it isn't V-SYNC, but part of G-SYNC operation.
forii wrote:
What is the advantage with fps bellow 240hz to keep:
1) G-sync ON
2) only v-sync on
3) G-sync + v sync on
1) Reduced tearing, no sync-induced stutter.
2) No tearing, increased input lag, sync-induced stutter.
3. No tearing, no sync-induced stutter.
forii wrote:
Does NULL at ultra might help to cap automaticly fps bellow 240hz? I heard for lowest input lag we should use NULL turned ON only, not ultra or never off.
NULL auto-caps FPS with G-SYNC, but not without G-SYNC. With G-SYNC disabled, you typically want to use Ultra, but in the case of CoD (if you're talking about the latest one), since it runs in DX12, Low Latency Mode is not supported. LLM isn't supported in Vulkan either.
forii wrote:
G-SYNC + V-SYNC within the refresh rate is the smoothest, lowest lag no-tear configuration possible.
forii wrote:
NULL at ultra can lock fps without input lag? ofc I can't do that in game limiter because I would need to cap fps at 200, even tho my avg fps are 200 actually, but sometimes 220~ and on 220 it feel smoother.
Again, NULL at Ultra with G-SYNC might auto cap in CoD (haven't tested it), but the pre-rendered frames reduction portion of the setting won't do anything in DX12 and Vulkan games.
forii wrote:
Can't decide on this, if I really should bother with g-sync comp or v-sync in a quite competive game, even tho its not e-sport.

I would not ever think about g-sync/v-sync in games with fps above 244 fps like overwatch, quake etc...
but in this case it might gives me some advantage i think
That's up to you, try both G-SYNC and no sync. What I can say is the input lag difference between G-SYNC + V-SYNC and no sync at the same FPS within the refresh rate is virtually 0 @240Hz (one tears and the other doesn't).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

forii

Post by forii » 13 May 2020, 18:09

jorimt wrote:
13 May 2020, 17:49
forii wrote:
Yes, it's bugged, keep using RTSS.
forii wrote:
Capping for consistency reasons is perfectly fine with G-SYNC. Also, if you cap to a level that prevents max GPU usage, you will reduce/eliminate the pre-rendered frames queue (not related to G-SYNC, but notable).
forii wrote:
NULL auto-caps FPS with G-SYNC, but not without G-SYNC. With G-SYNC disabled, you typically want to use Ultra, but in the case of CoD (if you're talking about the latest one), since it runs in DX12, Low Latency Mode is not supported. LLM isn't supported in Vulkan either.
forii wrote:
G-SYNC + V-SYNC within the refresh rate is the smoothest, lowest lag no-tear configuration possible.
forii wrote:
Again, NULL at Ultra with G-SYNC might auto cap in CoD (haven't tested it), but the pre-rendered frames reduction portion of the setting won't do anything in DX12 and Vulkan games.
So actually NULL can be even off? I remember while having in on ultra it locked my fps = Hz of monitor and I had 143-144 fps on 144hz, and it never go above.

So lets put this in this way:

1) Enabling G-sync and v-sync (which I believe is best configuration even in shooters) will cause me = few ms of input lag, lets say extra 4ms but give me smooth vision and no tearing. (which can be help only on fps bellow 240, like on 160 fps etc, because on stable 240hz tearing and stutter is not visible)

2) Capping fps in RTSS will also cause 2 ms and same does the NULL at ultra ? or maybe with using Null at ultra we can get 0ms input lag (?)

Its like 5ms extra of input lag only thanks to no stutter or tearing.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 13 May 2020, 19:03

forii wrote:
13 May 2020, 18:09
So actually NULL can be even off? I remember while having in on ultra it locked my fps = Hz of monitor and I had 143-144 fps on 144hz, and it never go above.
Assuming you had G-SYNC on + V-SYNC on (or just V-SYNC), then NULL wasn't doing anything in that instance. Whatever V-SYNC method you were using was causing that.

Also yes, in DX12 games you don't have to have NULL enabled, as, again, it doesn't work in that engine or in Vulkan.
forii wrote:
1) Enabling G-sync and v-sync (which I believe is best configuration even in shooters) will cause me = few ms of input lag, lets say extra 4ms but give me smooth vision and no tearing. (which can be help only on fps bellow 240, like on 160 fps etc, because on stable 240hz tearing and stutter is not visible)
G-SYNC does not add input lag, it prevents tearing. G-SYNC delivers single, complete frames within the refresh rate the fastest possible; any faster would require tearing (which almost never delivers a complete frame, only parts of frames in a single refresh, thus the tearing artifacts).
forii wrote:
2) Capping fps in RTSS will also cause 2 ms and same does the NULL at ultra ? or maybe with using Null at ultra we can get 0ms input lag (?)
RTSS doesn't quite "add" input lag either. It's effectively neutral, and in fact, can have one less frame of input lag than uncapped at the same framerate (mainly when you're GPU bound). RTSS only has "more" input lag than some in-game limiters, and only because they "reduce" input lag more than usually possible.
forii wrote:
Again, G-SYNC doesn't cause "extra" input lag, it prevents tearing. As for RTSS, it typically has up to 1 frame more input lag than an in-game limiter, but can be lower lag than uncapped at the same FPS, so no, we're not talking 5ms "added" input lag vs no sync at the same framerate (using the same FPS cap) within a 240Hz refresh rate, more like < 1ms, if that.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

forii

Post by forii » 14 May 2020, 12:32

jorimt wrote:
13 May 2020, 19:03
forii wrote:
Assuming you had G-SYNC on + V-SYNC on (or just V-SYNC), then NULL wasn't doing anything in that instance. Whatever V-SYNC method you were using was causing that.

Also yes, in DX12 games you don't have to have NULL enabled, as, again, it doesn't work in that engine or in Vulkan.
forii wrote:
G-SYNC does not add input lag, it prevents tearing. G-SYNC delivers single, complete frames within the refresh rate the fastest possible; any faster would require tearing (which almost never delivers a complete frame, only parts of frames in a single refresh, thus the tearing artifacts).
forii wrote:
RTSS doesn't quite "add" input lag either. It's effectively neutral, and in fact, can have one less frame of input lag than uncapped at the same framerate (mainly when you're GPU bound). RTSS only has "more" input lag than some in-game limiters, and only because they "reduce" input lag more than usually possible.
forii wrote:
Again, G-SYNC doesn't cause "extra" input lag, it prevents tearing. As for RTSS, it typically has up to 1 frame more input lag than an in-game limiter, but can be lower lag than uncapped at the same FPS, so no, we're not talking 5ms "added" input lag vs no sync at the same framerate (using the same FPS cap) within a 240Hz refresh rate, more like < 1ms, if that.
So can I keep the Ultra low latency at ON only instead of Ultra or its better just to disable it? I have it globally turned on (on all aps/games). Should I turn it off for dx12/vulkan? or keeping turned 'on' its fine

Also, if g-sync doesnt add any input lag, what about v-sync? v-sync adds some input lag, isnt it?

I aggree with your thought about RTSS limiter, it make some sense.

ALso, extra question, is it correct that we should always keep the nvidia drivers updated? I heard some old drivers are better, with e.g 1% low fps, or even max fps

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 14 May 2020, 13:58

forii wrote:
14 May 2020, 12:32
So can I keep the Ultra low latency at ON only instead of Ultra or its better just to disable it? I have it globally turned on (on all aps/games). Should I turn it off for dx12/vulkan? or keeping turned 'on' its fine
Yes, keeping it globally set to "On" is fine.
forii wrote:
Also, if g-sync doesnt add any input lag, what about v-sync? v-sync adds some input lag, isnt it?
Yes, standalone V-SYNC adds lag, more or less depending on the scenario. But since you have G-SYNC, there is typically no reason to use G-SYNC off + V-SYNC on.
forii wrote:
ALso, extra question, is it correct that we should always keep the nvidia drivers updated? I heard some old drivers are better, with e.g 1% low fps, or even max fps
That's up to you. I personally keep mine up-to-date, but there is a whole group of people that prefer to test multiple drivers and stick to certain older versions.

This may or may not have merit in all instances. Generally, if you have a newer GPU, it doesn't, and you're typically safe to keep your drivers up-to-date.

ca_Koppin

Post by ca_Koppin » 15 May 2020, 14:49

@jorimt

Quick question. I'm using these settings for Apex legends on Alienware AW2521H:

1. Gysnc on - Vsync On in NVCP, Low Latency Mode set to On
2. Alienware set to 240Hz - Overdrive set to Extreme, Freesync set to on - I have NVidia 2070 Super card and monitor is Gsync compatible
3. Apex settings all set to Low and in game cap set at 237

I have tested with Gsync on and off and I cannot notice any input lag with Gsync on. MY FPS average is around 180-240

My question is this. When I turn Gsyc on in the monitor and since it's a "Gsync Compatible" Monitor does the overdrive setting, even though it's set to Extreme, automatically set itself to Fast? There's 3 overdrive modes. Fast, Faster, and Extreme. Or does it pick the appropriate overdrive setting based on the FPS? Variable overdrive? Or does that not work on "Gsync compatible" monitors?

I think it does this as if I turn Gsync off and set overdrive to extreme, there's a lot of ghosting. So I'm assuming it's setting overdrive back down to fast which from what I understand is around 3.5ms GTG average.

Just curious what it's actually doing. Also, when you look at other IPS 240Hz panel reviews of the same panel type (like MSI monitor) they talk about picking different overdrive settings based on the FPS you're getting. For example, if you're close to 144 pick a different Overdrive setting.

With Gsync on, it seems I don't have to mess with that. But I'm not sure what's actually going on. Or maybe I don't have to mess with it as my FPS isnt dropping lower.

Thanks for the help,

Rick

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 16 May 2020, 09:47

ca_Koppin wrote:
15 May 2020, 14:49
My question is this. When I turn Gsyc on in the monitor and since it's a "Gsync Compatible" Monitor does the overdrive setting, even though it's set to Extreme, automatically set itself to Fast? There's 3 overdrive modes. Fast, Faster, and Extreme. Or does it pick the appropriate overdrive setting based on the FPS? Variable overdrive? Or does that not work on "Gsync compatible" monitors?
For G-SYNC Compatible, this behavior is dependent on the monitor model. And correct, variable overdrive is not supported on 99% of existing FreeSync/G-SYNC Compatible monitors, only on native G-SYNC monitors.

For G-SYNC Compatible, it will usually lock to a specific overdrive preset, regardless of framerate. Again, what it sets itself to is dependent on the monitor model itself, so I couldn't say.