Asus VG279QM Youtube Review by Hardware Unboxed

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
bigni

Re: Asus VG279QM Youtube Review by Hardware Unboxed

Post by bigni » 13 May 2020, 12:06

What's the lowest refresh rate for strobing on this (these) monitors?
Looking for 60hz strobing since I'm good at that

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 May 2020, 12:16

bigni wrote:
13 May 2020, 12:06
What's the lowest refresh rate for strobing on this (these) monitors?
Looking for 60hz strobing since I'm good at that
Unfortunately, manufacturers have artificially locked most models from being able to do 60Hz strobing.

See Dear ViewSonic: Please Add 60 Hz Single-Strobe for PureXP on XG270.

Theoretically, it is only a minor firmware change in any monitor to support 60Hz single-strobe.

If you want to buy something with 60Hz single-strobe today, you have very few options such as the BenQ XL2411P (which supports Blur Busters Strobe Utility).

60Hz single-strobe is more common in some TVs due to gaming consoles. For televisions, some do support. You can get a Sony HDTV with "Motionflow Impulse", LG OLED TV with "BFI". RTINGS can tell you which television models support 60Hz single-strobe. Try to stick to 60fps console titles to avoid the 30fps duplicate image effect (like CRT 30fps at 60Hz).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 13 May 2020, 23:00

Dirty Scrubz wrote:
13 May 2020, 00:18
RLCScontender wrote:
12 May 2020, 17:41

Sorry chief, but i myself dont' see it and i have 20/20 vision> So any person with 20/20 vision probalby can't see the crosstalk either.

i will upload a better video in a bit.
I see it clearly and I've also got 20/20 vision. I guess when defending ones purchase, they'll see what they want to see despite evidence to the contrary.
wasn't referring to the UFO test, but the video that i posted demonstrating backlight strobing on the MSI. Basically, i was looking for any form of dbl images/crosstalk while in an actual videogame. Tried moving my camera very quickly, tried hittng the ball in rocket league super hard, etc. I didn't see any subtle dbl images of crosstalk. My point was, IN PRACTICE, that isn't noticeable from my perspective. I only speak for myself and obviously.(i have to get used to phrasing my words here more carefully so that i don't speak for anyone else but myself)

the crosstalk on the MSI's strobing isn't even that aggressive, as a matter of fact, i think it's above average. Is it as good as the viewsonic xg270? NO way! but it's decent enough that it's a legitimate option to be used competitively from my point of view.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 13 May 2020, 23:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
12 May 2020, 17:44
RLCScontender wrote:
Sorry chief, but i myself dont' see it and i have 20/20 vision> So any person with 20/20 vision probalby can't see the crosstalk either.
Your eyes.

Even with the smartphone noise filtering, there is a slight amount of crosstalk visible. Please obtain a camera such as Sony Alpha a6000 and use burst-shoot instread of video, and the strobe crosstalk will be more visible in the images than vidoe.

However, if you look closer, there is a faint fringe at left/right of that UFO. It may not be problematic to you, but even that level of crosstalk sometimes bother people massively especialy for screen top edge and bottom edge (go full screen and drag the Ghosting near top/bottom edges, rather than screen centre).

Respect is mandatory here: Further putting words aggressively in other people's mouths may lead to locking all your threads, RLCSContender...

You can word it differently ("Strobe crosstalk is much less visible on this panel to my eyes, and I don't see it in normal real-world game for the games that I play") but absolute phraseology -- especially when also you're distorting the truth by piggybacking on video compression noisefiltering of faint crosstalk (that some people are extremely sensitive to) -- gets you closer to thread lockings. We encourage discussions and debate here, but we don't allow such absolutisms because everyone sees differently.
don't really want to derail this thread any further but i'll have to address this before i go back on topic.

I agree that there is definitely subtle amounts of crosstalk and moreso on different points of views on the MSI. Even the UFO tests confirms it. So yes, definitely agree with you there. I'm not going to deny the tests and i'm not going to deny the variables that will give inaccurate yet biased readings. Those are all true and as a realist, i'm compelled to agree.

The point i was trying to make was, "will the subtle amount of crosstalk be a distraction to a typical videogamer in a way that will hinder/obstruct/distract them from playing the game?". From my point of view, it definitely didn't hinder or obstruct or cause any distractions when i played the game IN PRACTICE. Again, i speak for myself and i'm sure everyone's different. That was my point, so i think this was all a big misunderstanding. But yes, I am guilty of phrasing my words in a way where i speak for others and making claims invalid inferences without much tact> That, i will be more mindful of when i phrase my words in this forum.

lol as for the photography classes are concerned. No, i've never taken a photography class. I don't know a lick about monitors, pc hardware, or even cameras before the covid-19 quarantines. I learn from trial and error. I've done more reading about hardware in the past 3 months than my entire life, but it's a hobby that i recently picked up. But yes, i have a samsung galaxy 10+, but i didn't know that my camera will cause these sorts of inaccuracies when it comes to providing gameplay footage of double images.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 May 2020, 14:37

Final word on debates about display nuances:

10 years ago, more people didn't believe motion blur reduction modes could help LCD panels -- they were just all blurry. That helped launched Blur Busters when LightBoost came out.

It is true that people don't always care about motion blur either. For example, I am comfortable watching a Hollywood Movie, at its original 24 frames per second, in Movie Maker Mode, with all its original blur and glory. Yet, I like it when weak links removed from a display for whatever reason, whether be VR nausea or wanting original CRT motion clarity. Or millions of other reasons.

We are a safe space for all motion artifacts that humans can see (regardless of majority or minority). Forum discourse respect that too.
Remember that people who register for our forums will be overweighted towards the picky side. Forum discourse respects that too.

We don't assume scopes and we keep an open mind. Just like VHS versus DVD versus HDTV, a lot of less experienced people didn't notice the difference right away until differences were pointed out & they got better TVs that were bigger, that made the differences more visible. So "minority of population" can become "bigger minority of population" or even "majority of population" when some variables are changed (experience + increase in attributes such as resolution/refresh/contrast/HDR/FOV/size/etc).

There is no getting around the mandatory respect that Blur Busters has for the entire universe of all possible visible display artifacts (by any fractions of human population).
RLCScontender wrote:
13 May 2020, 23:15
That, i will be more mindful of when i phrase my words in this forum.
Please. And thank you.

___

OK, now back to OP, to continue discussion (if they want) about Hardware Unboxed's review of ASUS VG279QM.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 14 May 2020, 18:01

RLCScontender wrote:
13 May 2020, 23:00
Dirty Scrubz wrote:
13 May 2020, 00:18
RLCScontender wrote:

i will upload a better video in a bit.
I see it clearly and I've also got 20/20 vision. I guess when defending ones purchase, they'll see what they want to see despite evidence to the contrary.
wasn't referring to the UFO test, but the video that i posted demonstrating backlight strobing on the MSI. Basically, i was looking for any form of dbl images/crosstalk while in an actual videogame. Tried moving my camera very quickly, tried hittng the ball in rocket league super hard, etc. I didn't see any subtle dbl images of crosstalk. My point was, IN PRACTICE, that isn't noticeable from my perspective. I only speak for myself and obviously.(i have to get used to phrasing my words here more carefully so that i don't speak for anyone else but myself)

the crosstalk on the MSI's strobing isn't even that aggressive, as a matter of fact, i think it's above average. Is it as good as the viewsonic xg270? NO way! but it's decent enough that it's a legitimate option to be used competitively from my point of view.
I posted a very clear image of crosstalk in your 3 strip ufo test. I still haven't seen a full screen crosstalk capture of the MSI either which paints a more accurate picture of how this would look in practice. Lastly, if it is losing half its brightness then it's just your average pointless BFI IMO. So far nobody can do what benq does with dyac. If it looks good to your eyes then that's cool but at least you're finally learning that doesn't mean others would feel the same way.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 15 May 2020, 03:50

^
^
reread my reply. I wasn't talking about that photo, i was talking about a video i posted on youtube showing that from the crosstalk wasn't visible at all in practice from my point of view(and my camera's point of view)

brightness? ? a lot of workarounds. The app "controlmymonitor" is the one i use to increase the brightness if in case i use the MSI's BFI. That or nvidia control panel works too.

here's my personal anecdote.

MSI's BFI is pretty good, its crosstalk is among the lower end in aggressiveness relative to the monitors that i've used. Is it as good as the Viewsonic XG270 pureXP strobing? NO, but is it competent enough so that u can use it competitively? to me, it works well and i use it fairly often to break monotony or to enhance my gameplay experience with the MSI monitor. i never had issues. The "crosstalk" (which i did NOT see) didn't obstruct, distract, or hinder my performance when i played.

anyway, not going to address anything that isn't related to the initial thread content. But i just had to reply to this due to the misunderstanding of what i "said" relative to that image.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 15 May 2020, 04:04

Back to the topic.

This review is probably one of the more accurate reviews that i've seen from that Australian tech review website hardware unboxed aka techspot. Other than their SUPER inaccurate 60hz input lag(which is horrendous for the vg279qm) and intentionally(or mistakenly) using the MSI's "fast" overdrive setting instead of "faster" to compare it to the 240hz IPS LG and 280hz Asus> they probably did that on purpose to make it seem like the LG 27gn750 is the "fastest" 240hz monitor among the other two.

Yes, i really do recommmend that 280hz should be used at all times. Gaming at 240hz on the asus doesnt' make any sense. that's no different than playing on a very slow TN with good viewing angles. 280hz is what i used to play competitively with the vg279qm and it delivered quite well.

among the ELMB-SYNC iterations, the Asus VG279qm/VG259qm is in my opinion, the best interation of ELMB-SYNC because of the added refresh rate of the display.

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 15 May 2020, 04:42

RLCScontender wrote:
15 May 2020, 03:50
^
^
reread my reply. I wasn't talking about that photo, i was talking about a video i posted on youtube showing that from the crosstalk wasn't visible at all in practice from my point of view(and my camera's point of view)

brightness? ? a lot of workarounds. The app "controlmymonitor" is the one i use to increase the brightness if in case i use the MSI's BFI. That or nvidia control panel works too.

here's my personal anecdote.

MSI's BFI is pretty good, its crosstalk is among the lower end in aggressiveness relative to the monitors that i've used. Is it as good as the Viewsonic XG270 pureXP strobing? NO, but is it competent enough so that u can use it competitively? to me, it works well and i use it fairly often to break monotony or to enhance my gameplay experience with the MSI monitor. i never had issues. The "crosstalk" (which i did NOT see) didn't obstruct, distract, or hinder my performance when i played.

anyway, not going to address anything that isn't related to the initial thread content. But i just had to reply to this due to the misunderstanding of what i "said" relative to that image.
I know you were talking about the video, that's why I specifically said I captured a frame(the best one) that clearly showed crosstalk and blurring vs the xl2746S side by side. No amount of software adjustment can compensate for a dim backlight in BFI--xl2746s can hit 480 nits with BFI on while MSI drops to around 180.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 15 May 2020, 05:45

I just received the VG259QM, I used it for about 30 minutes (I played Overwatch).
First of all, the panel is 10bit, but only in the 59-144hz range.
ELMB-Sync is actually quite good, the motion clarity is slightly improved compared to stock settings at 280hz(When you spray and your entire screen shakes you notice 0 blur).
I just installed an icm profile from Asus' site (file name ASUS_VG259QM_WHQL_Driver), it slightly improved the color quality.
I don't notice any overshoot at 80 OD 280hz, the improvement over 60 OD is noticeable.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he