Overclocking Laptop Display - 75hz to...?

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Simone

Overclocking Laptop Display - 75hz to...?

Post by Simone » 15 May 2020, 10:12

After playing a game called World War Z and seeing the grey coloured supressor on a Sniper ghost like a sideways unstablly built multi-layer salami sandwich.. I decided to do some google doodling, and came across our precious little Alien you see to the left on your screen. <3

Blur Busters! You are awesome, I love your tool, it's simply fantastic for gauging my ghosting, and I've been using it quite a bit in the last few hours with my testing.

So I've been reading a few of the posts here, and found you can overclock your monitor on Laptops, which sounds fantastic, and I've given it some goes, however I have some questions to ask.

1: I looked up the model of my screen, apparently it's 60Hz, but when I install Windows fresh with no drivers, I believe it's 75Hz by default.. is it already overclocked, or is it natively 75Hz?

2: I found I can overclock my screen all the way to 103Hz, any higher and instead of instantly transitioning during the test phase via NVidia Control Panel, the screen goes black as if it's loading the new refresh rate. 105Hz takes like 10 seconds, 120Hz takes like 30 seconds. Both are accepted, but the higher I go, the longer it loads.. it seems Explorer seems to need to restart itself, too. What does all this mean?

3: Even though I can go to 103Hz without issue, I'm currently at 90Hz, and will test it with some games. Image below. Could 100Hz be safe?

4: What would I see, what errors or problems would I come across that would be a sign to 'Back off' and reduce my Hz?

More Questions maybe later as these get answered. Thanks!

Specs..

Laptop: G752VS (ROG)

Screen: Monitor Name: LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF6 -- LP173WF4-SPF3 (Not sure which. More info in picture: https://i.imgur.com/Dn0U9rL.png)

CPU: 6700HQ
GPU: GTX 1070 8GB

Last edited by Simone on 15 May 2020, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

Simone

Re: Overclocking Laptop Display - 75hz to...?

Post by Simone » 15 May 2020, 11:33

Thank you to the mod who approved me!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Overclocking Laptop Display - 75hz to...?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 May 2020, 12:10

Simone wrote:
15 May 2020, 10:12
1: I looked up the model of my screen, apparently it's 60Hz, but when I install Windows fresh with no drivers, I believe it's 75Hz by default.. is it already overclocked, or is it natively 75Hz?
Most 60 Hz screens can natively do 75 Hz, though sometimes 75 Hz is an overclock, sometimes it is not.
Simone wrote:
2: I found I can overclock my screen all the way to 103Hz, any higher and instead of instantly transitioning during the test phase via NVidia Control Panel, the screen goes black as if it's loading the new refresh rate. 105Hz takes like 10 seconds, 120Hz takes like 30 seconds. Both are accepted, but the higher I go, the longer it loads.. it seems Explorer seems to need to restart itself, too. What does all this mean?
That is very weird. Possibly a driver bug or firmware interaction of some kind, where initialization messes up, or some initialization hangs, until it resumes.

You could try downloading ToastyX CRU and running "restart64.exe" (included with it) immediately after switching resolutions to see if it will reinitialize faster. Running it without seeing the screen will be hard though, but there are methods.
Simone wrote:
3: Even though I can go to 103Hz without issue, I'm currently at 90Hz, and will test it with some games. Image below. Could 100Hz be safe?
Yes, 100 Hz should be. I'm not sure how unsafe the driver bugs will be, it will be more of a software risk than a hardware risk, with that weird initialization delay. I think it would be safe even to tolerate the initialization delay though.
Simone wrote:
4: What would I see, what errors or problems would I come across that would be a sign to 'Back off' and reduce my Hz?
Increased crashes, severe on-screen glitching, etc.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!