Fluctuating variable refresh rate / Gsync going crazy

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Danny960

Fluctuating variable refresh rate / Gsync going crazy

Post by Danny960 » 19 May 2020, 16:47

Hello,

I have a problem with gsync and I could use some help. I have an AOC C24G1, which is a 144hz VA panel paired with a GTX 1060 and running in dual monitor setup with an old 60hz LG E2350v. I can get gsync to work, but it has two major problems: brightness flickering and the refresh rate going crazy. I know VA panels change brightness depending on their refresh rate, that's fine, but my refresh is all over the place even is the fps is rock solid. For example: in Call of Duty Modern Warfare my fps is exactly 60, but the refresh rate in OSD is showing constant jumps from 48 to 144, causing the flickering. I tried changing the range with CRU to 90-144, but then it just goes crazy in this range. I changed the cable to a more expensive one, unplugged the other monitor, reinstalled windows and drivers multiple times. What can I do to fix this?

Thank you

TTT

Re: Fluctuating variable refresh rate / Gsync going crazy

Post by TTT » 20 May 2020, 05:08

It sounds like the gsync isn't working properly.

I'm guessing it isn't a Nvidia certified monitor to work with Gsync? It might just not be compatible.

Danny960

Post by Danny960 » 20 May 2020, 14:04

The monitor isn't nvidia certified, but every review I've read says it works well with gsync. I feel like there's something wrong on software side rather than hardware because sometimes it kinda works properly. It seems to be working ok when I'm at or around 144fps, then it's pretty much 1:1 refresh to fps. Only when frame doubling or trebling comes into play it stops working.

TTT

Post by TTT » 21 May 2020, 08:15

It should just mirror fps all the time, by software the only thing you can mean is GPU drivers?

Seeing as it isn't certified though maybe its hit and miss if it works or not.

No mixture of settings would cause what you are saying is happening though.

Danny960

Post by Danny960 » 21 May 2020, 16:06

After many tests I found that my mouse movements are causing stutter leading to huge frame drops which don't show up on most FPS monitors, only on the OSD. I believe this is the reason why it was seemingly going crazy and out of sync. So now I have a new problem to solve.

TTT

Post by TTT » 22 May 2020, 08:26

If it was that causing stutter and frame drops it would be affecting everything though, that wouldn't be the reason both readouts are different, with Gsync on both will be the same even if you are getting drops and stutters.

noipanpawel

Post by noipanpawel » 06 Mar 2022, 15:46

Hi,
digging up this thread as I'm having similar issues, only my monitor is G-Sync certified.

I have a Lenovo G27q-20 (165Hz) and when G-Sync is on, I'm experiencing flickering and crazy refresh rate fluctuations. I have a second monitor (Acer KG241Q), and this one works fine, even though it's not G-Sync certified (it has Freesync). The refresh rate mirrors fps closely, while my main monitor goes insane, constantly jumping from 165Hz to as low as 49Hz, even with steady FPS readouts.

In case it's of importance, some other specs:
- RTX 3060 Ti gpu, Ryzen 5 3600 cpu
- monitors connected by DP using cables provided with monitors
- latest drivers installed for monitor and gpu

Any ideas?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Mar 2022, 18:55

noipanpawel wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 15:46
Hi,
digging up this thread as I'm having similar issues, only my monitor is G-Sync certified.

I have a Lenovo G27q-20 (165Hz) and when G-Sync is on, I'm experiencing flickering and crazy refresh rate fluctuations. I have a second monitor (Acer KG241Q), and this one works fine, even though it's not G-Sync certified (it has Freesync). The refresh rate mirrors fps closely, while my main monitor goes insane, constantly jumping from 165Hz to as low as 49Hz, even with steady FPS readouts.

In case it's of importance, some other specs:
- RTX 3060 Ti gpu, Ryzen 5 3600 cpu
- monitors connected by DP using cables provided with monitors
- latest drivers installed for monitor and gpu

Any ideas?
1 -- Try temporarily disabling multimonitor and see if the problems still occur
2 -- If using multimonitor, play only on the primary monitor and use fullscreen exclusive (not windowed or borderless)
3 -- Try swapping DisplayPort jacks on your GPU

Failing that, repeat step 3 with G27q-20 only connected while uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, before introducing your Acer.

Multimonitor creates some rather erratic interferences in frametimes / framerates / stutters. Even worse if it's a different-Hz multimonitor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!