Why i aim better with my 27GL850 rather than my 240hz monitors ?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Why i aim better with my 27GL850 rather than my 240hz monitors ?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 May 2020, 14:15

ptuga wrote:
20 May 2020, 02:17
You can use the monitor's sRGB profile, much better match than Nvidia digital vibrance.

Also, I'm curious on how much better on average you do on aim trainers with the omen, since I have the 27gl850 and I think I do pretty good in kovaaks.
Agreed, the monitor native profiles are the proper way to do it.

Trying to do it by NVIDIA is just like recompression, it adds more errors/artifacts if it’s redoing what the monitor electronics can do more natively.

The NVIDIA adjustments are useful as a last line of defense though, when there are no other options at the monitor level in preserving color gamut / bit depth.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PirateNinjaInPijamas

Post by PirateNinjaInPijamas » 21 May 2020, 00:37

So, first of all thank you all for your time to answer to my aim journey ! I tweaked the colours at the x25f as close as i could to match the Lg's (It's almost impossible to match it even close but i did get to a point), and i saw a huge improvement in game in Overwatch ! Maybe even the same performance or better but that will require for me a month+ testing to be accurate, can't go in conclusions after an afternoon's 2.5 hour gameplay cause it's always different opponents and situations. BUT, the aim was very very very good. I continued to leveling up i am even getting close to masters. So what i thought was unimportant, the colours, are really quite important in game ! And to answer the question for the Kovaks, with the Lg for example at a tracking small targets(which i practice more) i gave a max 11.200 with the LG while i can constantly hit about 13.500 with the omen. The difference in tracking is HUGE. The targets are so much more crystal clear with the x25f that i cant even explain it just typing it, and the microtransitions (left right like ADADAD spam) is much easier to follow. When i switch to the LG i can see the motion blut at the targets so much that it really annoys me. But colours dont matter in Kovaks cause you have one clear target with no background disruptions etc, but in game the colours seem to matter cause there's so much going on! Thank you for your help, i'll keep posting as i get to my personal experience conclusions.

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 22 May 2020, 09:19

Strange thing, but I had the similiar situation with any 240hz TN panel which I have tried.

My main monitor was Asus VG248QE, I tried AW2518HF, XL 2540, LG 27GK750F, XF252QX, and my aim always become worse in CS GO after vg248qe.

Want to mention that LG 27GK750F is 27 panel, and I could not play the same as with like Asus vg248qe.

But now I have Asus vg279qm 240hz fastIPS panel and my aim accurate as with vg248qe and sometimes better.

I connected this with input latency of 240hz TN panels..

PirateNinjaInPijamas

Post by PirateNinjaInPijamas » 22 May 2020, 11:19

Hm that's really interesting. Correct me if i'm wrong but we are speaking about processing lag right ? I've read that these new ips panels have close to zero. Haven't thought about that cause i'm pretty sure that the LG has lower Processing lag than the Omen but i'm not quite sure how much and i can't find anywhere the comparison between same measurements..

PirateNinjaInPijamas

Post by PirateNinjaInPijamas » 22 May 2020, 11:21

I'm so tempted to buy the VG279QM, i think i'll go for it and test it myself too..

forii

Post by forii » 22 May 2020, 16:01

@PirateNinjaInPijamas

x25f its 1080p and has terrible colors (TN) - I remember than I needed to boost the saturation in NVCP way up to 80% in any TN Panel.
Imo you playing better in OW because of higher resolution (you see more) + you also see enemies much cleaner due to better colors on the IPS. ;)

Response time is similar, ghosting doesnt matter at all, yea ofc x25f will have better motion clarity, but difference is minimal and it doesnt stop you to hit correct on the enemy on ur a little more "blurred" ips. The blur is not like a 2 meter tail behind enemy :lol:

Also 144hz vs 240hz is very similar, esspecialy in situation where the enemies are not peaking behind the wall. If there is a lot of peeking, ofc 240hz wins much often. (CS GO. cod, etc);)

That is why 240hz IPS are most balanced now and they can win with 240hz TN in a lot of situations due to better colors, overshoot is only trade off but it doesnt make any negative things in accuracy. Also 240hz Ips like Msi Mag251rx or VG259qm/vg279qm has insane low input lag, lower than any TN - as far I know (0,5ms processing lag) :twisted:

This is same with 1440p, there is some advantage of having higher resolution (esspecialy in games when enemies are flying around your screen - overwatch, quake :ugeek: ) - this is clearly like higher field of view in game, without creating Fish eyes effect. 1440p are OP for overwatch :) , and in games where enemies can be eveywhere and not only in front of you or in places where you can predict their moves (cs go, cod multiplayer, etc - for this games its good to have 240Hz IPS or TN 1080p, because having higher resolution (1440p) in games like that doesnt help that much) ;)

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 23 May 2020, 02:01

PirateNinjaInPijamas wrote:
22 May 2020, 11:19
Hm that's really interesting. Correct me if i'm wrong but we are speaking about processing lag right ? I've read that these new ips panels have close to zero. Haven't thought about that cause i'm pretty sure that the LG has lower Processing lag than the Omen but i'm not quite sure how much and i can't find anywhere the comparison between same measurements..
Yep, as you can see for example, according to TFTcentral review, Acer Nitro XF252QX has 2ms Estimated Signal Processing Lag, https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/ac ... xf252q.htm

Whereas VG279QM has 0.30ms https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/as ... g279qm.htm

I feel mouse moves with VG279QM pretty consistent, really happy with purchase of VG279QM already for 2 months.

One more thing, I tried many settings of VG279QM and have theory(but I am not sure exactly about this :D) that any kind of adding some new settings in monitor menu add slighly input latency, it can be shadow boost, also If I do FPS mode become available settings like saturation and tone and all these new settings add slightly input latency like some post proccessing. And best results in CS GO I always have with default settings: racing mode, color mode normal, OD 60, 240hz it's like the monitor was programmed to work in stock mode more properly, but of course it's only mine theory ...