G-SYNC not working properly.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
nikoisconfused

G-SYNC not working properly.

Post by nikoisconfused » 22 May 2020, 18:00

Hello! A week ago i bought a HP 24x G-SYNC compatible monitor , although im not fully sure if it works as intended. I am having issues with Dead By Daylight and the devs told me to lock the game at 60FPS , i did , and god its awful. I have tried using , G-SYNC + VSYNC/G-SYNC ON + VSYNC OFF , nothing works and i have no idea why. On the Pendulum demo G-SYNC seems to be working perfectly , but sadly not in-game. Any ideas?

mds83

Re: G-SYNC not working properly.

Post by mds83 » 23 May 2020, 00:39

G-Sync does not work properly if the game is not using exclusive fullscreen.

nikoisconfused

Post by nikoisconfused » 23 May 2020, 06:14

mds83 wrote:
23 May 2020, 00:39
Oooh , makes sense , the game doesnt seem to minimize when i tab out.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 23 May 2020, 08:29

nikoisconfused wrote:
23 May 2020, 06:14
mds83 wrote:
As mds83 already suggested, before you troubleshoot further, make sure G-SYNC is actually active in that game.

1) Have you enabled the "G-SYNC Indicator" option and verified the notification is appearing in-game?
2) Which mode is G-SYNC set to in the NVCP? Because If the game only supports borderless or windowed mode, you'll need to select "Enable for windowed and fullscreen mode":

If you don't want that mode enabled globally, you can enable it per game as I instruct in my article's Closing FAQ here:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ttings/15/
it is recommended to keep G-SYNC set to “Enable for full screen mode” globally, and then to use Nvidia Profile Inspector (download here) to set both “G-SYNC – Application Mode” and “G-SYNC – Global Mode” to “Fullscreen and Windowed” per game profile, as needed:

(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

nikoisconfused

Post by nikoisconfused » 23 May 2020, 09:25

jorimt wrote:
23 May 2020, 08:29
nikoisconfused wrote:
23 May 2020, 06:14
mds83 wrote:
As mds83 already suggested, before you troubleshoot further, make sure G-SYNC is actually active in that game.

1) Have you enabled the "G-SYNC Indicator" option and verified the notification is appearing in-game?
2) Which mode is G-SYNC set to in the NVCP? Because If the game only supports borderless or windowed mode, you'll need to select "Enable for windowed and fullscreen mode":

If you don't want that mode enabled globally, you can enable it per game as I instruct in my article's Closing FAQ here:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ttings/15/
it is recommended to keep G-SYNC set to “Enable for full screen mode” globally, and then to use Nvidia Profile Inspector (download here) to set both “G-SYNC – Application Mode” and “G-SYNC – Global Mode” to “Fullscreen and Windowed” per game profile, as needed:

Still , no success. Yesterday i managed to play my game smoothly somehow (the skill checks in-game didn't look jittery like they usually do on 120fps) But not today. It said that G-SYNC is on and everything.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 23 May 2020, 17:14

nikoisconfused wrote:
23 May 2020, 09:25
Still , no success. Yesterday i managed to play my game smoothly somehow (the skill checks in-game didn't look jittery like they usually do on 120fps) But not today. It said that G-SYNC is on and everything.
Probably that specific game then. G-SYNC only fixes V-SYNC stutter, it can't do anything about engine stutter, or make a lower framerate feel higher than it is, or correct animation issues caused by a locked simulation/physics rate.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

nikoisconfused

Post by nikoisconfused » 24 May 2020, 06:22

jorimt wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:14
nikoisconfused wrote:
Probably that specific game then. G-SYNC only fixes V-SYNC stutter, it can't do anything about engine stutter, or make a lower framerate feel higher than it is, or correct animation issues caused by a locked simulation/physics rate.
Eh , whatever :D. I guess you are right, DbD has a really weird engine.

nikoisconfused

Post by nikoisconfused » 29 May 2020, 14:10

jorimt wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:14
nikoisconfused wrote:
Hello once again :D ! Yesterday i got a new HDD and installed a couple of games. I was playing GTA 5 with G-SYNC indicator on and everything , the game was still choppy once the fps went below 90? Its not only GTA. I have no idea what is causing this. Once again in the pendulum demo g-sync does wonders at 60FPS , but not in actual games.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2020, 16:58

Different games behave very differently with G-SYNC.

Some games are fixed by doing this:
1. Enable G-SYNC + VSYNC ON in Control Panel
2. Disable VSYNC in the game (use VSYNC OFF)

Not all games are G-SYNC friendly, because of their programming. GTA V is known to have problems with G-SYNC, so check your framerate range of GTA V, and cap to roughly the valley of the frame rate range, as its engine has some issues above ~100-120fps. GTA V predates the invention of G-SYNC, so its engine hasn't really been tested with high-Hz monitors so it's not Hz-futureproof. Some engines (such as CS:GO) ended up being futureproof but not all.

Also, do you mean HDD or SSD? G-SYNC won't fix diskload stutter, so make sure to install your games on an SSD where possible. The low-framerate moments is also when lots of assets are often loaded from HDD, creating HDD stutter that are unfixable by G-SYNC.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nikoisconfused

Post by nikoisconfused » 29 May 2020, 18:25

I have tested games on both SSD and HDD , no difference.
It's just that the games don't really feel smooth at around 70-80FPS , but if it's above 90 it's smooth as butter.
I will test what you said , will update on how it went.