Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Nessie

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Nessie » 05 Jun 2020, 03:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 10:15
It's usually a continuum of improvements:

From strobe crosstalk (including crosstalk ghosts /crosstalk coronas)
75Hz PureXP is better than 100Hz PureXP
100Hz PureXP is better than 120Hz PureXP
120Hz PureXP is better than 144Hz PureXP
144Hz PureXP is better than 180Hz PureXP
180Hz PureXP is better than 240Hz PureXP
224Hz PureXP is better than 240Hz PureXP

So the lower Hz, the less crosstalk, at least at the calibrated refresh rates.
How would this work if i play on 240hz but cap my FPS in-game to 120fps and activate strobing? would that still cause any inconsistencies?

Ansive

Post by Ansive » 05 Jun 2020, 07:14

You get a double image effect. (clear image, but double)
Cap to 80 fps, and get a triple image effect.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jun 2020, 11:29

Nessie wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 03:52
How would this work if i play on 240hz but cap my FPS in-game to 120fps and activate strobing? would that still cause any inconsistencies?
You don't want to do that due to the future descendants of CRT 30fps @ 60Hz double-image effect.

Just play uncapped VSYNC OFF at max-Hz strobing or 224Hz strobing -- overkill frame rates will do fine, and this is how BenQ DyAc users usually do it. It can still be used the same way.

That said, with PureXP+ you do have a choice:

PureXP+ Motion Quality Priority: Framerate matching Hz, 120Hz (or lower)
PureXP+ Latency Priority: Choose framerate above Hz, 224Hz (or higher)

Overkill framerates can compensate even if still slightly rougher-motion than VSYNC ON 120Hz PureXP+
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dmoney405

Post by Dmoney405 » 07 Jun 2020, 16:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 16:59
There was tuning targeted towards standard refresh rates, with the strobe tuning rounding-down to nearest tuned Hz, as no tuned refresh rates were done between 100Hz and 120Hz. 119Hz probably activates the same strobe-tuning as the tuning done for 100Hz. So any Hz between 100Hz-119Hz activates the 100Hz strobe tuning. (On my side, overriding 120Hz tuning with the 100Hz tuning makes things appear worse, so I can't recommend that solution... fixing you but breaking other users)
Can you disclose what the tuned refresh rates are? I'm guessing 75, 100, 120, 144, ???, ???, ???, 240.

Also and perhaps more importantly, have we found a solution to using 'Full Color Control' paired with the 'Fastest' response time OD setting? If it has been buried or forgotten about the issue is some, (maybe all?), users get CRAZY overdrive when these settings are chosen together. Everything turns extremely oversharpened with massive corona overshooting. I can provide pictures if you can not replicate the issue. I am running the latest firmware (updated yesterday). I experience this regardless of the refresh rate chosen.

donnie

Post by donnie » 08 Jun 2020, 01:20

Dmoney405 wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 16:15
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 16:59
There was tuning targeted towards standard refresh rates, with the strobe tuning rounding-down to nearest tuned Hz, as no tuned refresh rates were done between 100Hz and 120Hz. 119Hz probably activates the same strobe-tuning as the tuning done for 100Hz. So any Hz between 100Hz-119Hz activates the 100Hz strobe tuning. (On my side, overriding 120Hz tuning with the 100Hz tuning makes things appear worse, so I can't recommend that solution... fixing you but breaking other users)
Can you disclose what the tuned refresh rates are? I'm guessing 75, 100, 120, 144, ???, ???, ???, 240.

Also and perhaps more importantly, have we found a solution to using 'Full Color Control' paired with the 'Fastest' response time OD setting? If it has been buried or forgotten about the issue is some, (maybe all?), users get CRAZY overdrive when these settings are chosen together. Everything turns extremely oversharpened with massive corona overshooting. I can provide pictures if you can not replicate the issue. I am running the latest firmware (updated yesterday). I experience this regardless of the refresh rate chosen.
I posted about this issue numerous times and seems it got ignored... It really should be fixed. Some of us found the solution is actually in reducing timings. Once you make a CRU resolution with LCD Native instead of Standard timings, the full color control doesn't break anymore, seems the issue is timing related.

But nevertheless I completely agree with you, Viewsonic can't expect users to actually use CRU lol. This should work out of the box cmon..

Dmoney405

Post by Dmoney405 » 08 Jun 2020, 09:05

donnie wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 01:20
I posted about this issue numerous times and seems it got ignored... It really should be fixed. Some of us found the solution is actually in reducing timings. Once you make a CRU resolution with LCD Native instead of Standard timings, the full color control doesn't break anymore, seems the issue is timing related.

But nevertheless I completely agree with you, Viewsonic can't expect users to actually use CRU lol. This should work out of the box cmon..
To be fair Chief has been extremely active in this forum and could have overlooked it so hopefully we get something soon from him.

Ill try that on CRU. You should only need 2 resolutions right since it isn't used with VRR. Just one at 224 and one at 240 to use with adaptive sync. Well maybe a third for 60 fps games.

donnie

Post by donnie » 08 Jun 2020, 10:37

To be really honest, I've send him pictures and details about this issue, and even when he asked me to mail him everything, I've sent him an email, to which I never gotten a reply.

This isn't something he can fix, but needs to be checked at Viewsonic and probably fixed in the firmware.

After it has been found that Native timings in CRU fix the issue, it was kindof shrug off as an acceptable solution, if you ask me this isn't acceptable solution, the monitor is being shipped with a buggy feature out of the box - its 500€ monitor and you need to hack the driver to actually use a basic RGB option on OD Fastest..

I do highly appriciate this forum and him being active though don't get me wrong, but he did say he will rely this to viewsonic some times ago and there has been no word about it since, they are probably all just busy, but hopefully this can get resolved.

Dmoney405

Post by Dmoney405 » 08 Jun 2020, 14:02

donnie wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 10:37
After it has been found that Native timings in CRU fix the issue, it was kindof shrug off as an acceptable solution, if you ask me this isn't acceptable solution, the monitor is being shipped with a buggy feature out of the box - its 500€ monitor and you need to hack the driver to actually use a basic RGB option on OD Fastest..
Yeah, I agree it needs to be fixed. He didn't exactly sign up to be our spokesperson but ended up there anyways so something needs to be relayed back to us. On a different note I only paid $415 usd for mine. 500 seems rather steep.

Kosti

Post by Kosti » 08 Jun 2020, 14:28

I'm also having the weird color issues when using fastest overdrive and not using native colors. And it would be really nice to get a solution for this since i like the fast picture but dislike the exaggerated amount of red color coming from choosing "native".

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jun 2020, 17:03

Kosti wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 14:28
I'm also having the weird color issues when using fastest overdrive and not using native colors. And it would be really nice to get a solution for this since i like the fast picture but dislike the exaggerated amount of red color coming from choosing "native".
donnie wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 10:37
To be really honest, I've send him pictures and details about this issue, and even when he asked me to mail him everything, I've sent him an email, to which I never gotten a reply.
About the apparent bug:

I have already forwarded the info. I'm still waiting to hear back actually -- stand by.

I will remind/ping to make sure they've reproduced the issue. Apologies for the delay...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!