Freesync broken/ not working properly

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
theycallmetheprophet

Freesync broken/ not working properly

Post by theycallmetheprophet » 17 Apr 2020, 13:59

Hi everyone, i am having some issues with my newly purchased LG 24GL600F 144hz monitor.
Strangely after a while that my pc is on freesync just goes "out of sync" and the gameplay starts to look rough and micro-stuttery. If i check on the monitors OCD it shows that the refresh rate is greatly different from the framerate (say 80hz when i'm pushing 110fps).
The only way to make it work properly again is by power cycling my pc. I am well between the extended freesync range so i am sure it has nothing to do with LFC. If i turn off freesync from the radeon software the microstuttering goes away but i am losing the benefits of freesync of course. Turning it back on makes the problem come back. I tried 3 versions of the adrenalin software but the issue is always present. I even tried reseating the GPU and reinstalling the OS with no luck. I don't know if it has something to do with my monitor's firmware or with my gpu drivers.
I am losing my mind over this as i spent quite a bit of money on my new setup and it makes me frustrated that i keep facing issues.. If needed i can provide slow-motion footage that clearly shows the micro-stuttering. Thanks in advance to whoever is willing to help me!

PS: my gpu is an MSI RX 570 Armor MK2 OC 4GB.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Freesync broken/ not working properly

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Apr 2020, 03:11

theycallmetheprophet wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 13:59
Hi everyone, i am having some issues with my newly purchased LG 24GL600F 144hz monitor.
Strangely after a while that my pc is on freesync just goes "out of sync" and the gameplay starts to look rough and micro-stuttery. If i check on the monitors OCD it shows that the refresh rate is greatly different from the framerate (say 80hz when i'm pushing 110fps).
The only way to make it work properly again is by power cycling my pc. I am well between the extended freesync range so i am sure it has nothing to do with LFC. If i turn off freesync from the radeon software the microstuttering goes away but i am losing the benefits of freesync of course. Turning it back on makes the problem come back. I tried 3 versions of the adrenalin software but the issue is always present. I even tried reseating the GPU and reinstalling the OS with no luck. I don't know if it has something to do with my monitor's firmware or with my gpu drivers.
I am losing my mind over this as i spent quite a bit of money on my new setup and it makes me frustrated that i keep facing issues.. If needed i can provide slow-motion footage that clearly shows the micro-stuttering. Thanks in advance to whoever is willing to help me!

PS: my gpu is an MSI RX 570 Armor MK2 OC 4GB.
Do you have a 2nd monitor running at the same time? This can cause some issues.

Also, some monitors have firmware bugs that interfere with VRR, I've seen VRR microstutters with firmware and GPU driver issues. Reseating will not work.

Slow-motion footage would be useful!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mechag

Post by mechag » 04 Jun 2020, 17:33

I have this monitor, and I too get quite a different hz number for like 1 second and then it goes back to closer to fps and then goes to another lower number for like 1 second and so forth ...

However, I do not get microstutters (as of yet).

There's also quite a bit of flickering. How do I reduce this?

Thanks.

mechag

Post by mechag » 10 Jun 2020, 16:11

@theycallmetheprophet

I hope this finds you well.

When I use 'basic' freesync mode the flickering goes away. As for the 'extended' mode, I will try to use CRU to extend the freesync range (lower the minimum) in the hope of removing the flickering.

mechag

Post by mechag » 11 Jun 2020, 07:16

Also, resetting the Nvidia 3D settings to default removes the micro stuttering for me.

Further, make sure your display port cable is VESA certified and that the display port on your computer actually works.

Good luck.