[fixed] Big issue with 3D Vision 2 after upgrading XL2411Z

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 16 Apr 2014, 14:56

Today, 9 days after upgrading my monitor firmware, I just wanted to play a game in 3D. But I had some issues:

- The monitor doesn't switch to Lightboost mode when starting a game, nor does it when I choose to use 3D "always" in Nvidia Control Panel (which previously made it switch to Lightboost in desktop).
- When entering a game in 3D, it spends several more seconds than usual at activating 3D (the emitter flashes on and off once per second, and after a few seconds 3D activates).
- In 3D, I have full control of the monitor OSD. I can even deactivate Motion Blur Reduction. Tried with and without being able to access the service menu.
- It seems to use different timings rather than my custom timings. There's crosstalk at the top and at the bottom of the screen.
- If 3D is activated at desktop, Google Chrome takes a lot of time to open.
- MSI Afterburner reports very large (seemed to hit a limit) ammounts of VRAM usage (my 760 has 2GB) during the whole Windows session after activating 3D (if I disable 3D and I play an emulator, it still shows a lot of VRAM usage). It doesn't affect performance.
- It may sound nice to have full control of the monitor while in 3D, but it isn't. You may remember that I complained about the overdrive artifacts in this monitor. Well, it's acceptable in 2D, but it ruins the complete experience of 3D. There are silhouettes all over the place!

First, I thought it was because of the new Nvidia drivers. I rolled back to the previous ones, which worked fine when my monitor had the V1 firmware. Problems remained. Even after doing a clean install of both drivers, with the dotclock unpatched and no profiles or custom resolutions, it was the same.

tl;dr: monitor doesn't use Lightboost in 3D with firmware V2, and applications take a hell lot of time to open. More rage about artifacts.

Do any of you have this problem?
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Big issue with 3D Vision 2 after upgrading XL2411Z

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Apr 2014, 17:10

Can you do this:
1. Load Blur Busters Strobe Utility, and disable the "Override" checkbox
2. Power cycle your monitor (unplug and replug monitor)
3. Try 3D Vision again, with NVIDIA driver default timings (no tweaks such as VT1350).

Let me know what happens when you do this.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 16 Apr 2014, 17:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Can you do this:
1. Load Blur Busters Strobe Utility, and disable the "Override" checkbox
2. Power cycle your monitor (unplug and replug monitor)
3. Try 3D Vision again, with NVIDIA driver default timings (no tweaks such as VT1350).

Let me know what happens when you do this.
None of these 3 things worked. Example of what happens after disabling the single strobe and power cycling the monitor:

- I'm at 144Hz, not modified (custom resolutions of 100 and 120 Hz are disabled).
- I go to the Nvidia Control Panel, then check the "Activate stereoscopic 3D" (Nvidia CP is in Spanish, so this may be inaccurate).
- I change the "Select when the screen is in 3D mode" to always. I hit the apply button.
- Bam! The Nvidia CP window turns black. I can't click on anything, and seconds later a black screen appears, and the mouse cursor can be moved.
- Few seconds later the image reappears, at 120Hz (monitor also reports 120Hz, so it isn't using custom timings). It isn't Lightboost.
- Enter a game. Black screen for a few seconds. Emitter flashes. Now ingame, 3D works, but without Lightboost.

Now I'm going o sleep. It's 00:39 here. I wonder if the firmware didn't install correctly. The strobe utility never worked for me...

Edit: in firmware v1, the switch to Lightboost was almost instantaneous.
Edit 2: simply changing resolution in a Windows session in which I used 3D (even if it's completely off right now) takes more time than usual (that black screen with cursor, etc).

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Apr 2014, 00:53

The blur busters strobe utility has NEVER worked for you?
When you change an option, it doesn't do anything?

@Chief:
Have you gotten lightboost mode working with V2?

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 17 Apr 2014, 03:09

Falkentyne wrote:The blur busters strobe utility has NEVER worked for you?
No. I get the "Unable To Hail Monitor" window. I reinstalled the monitor drivers many times and powered it off and on. I haven't tried using other port (it doesn't have Display Port, and HDMI and VGA don't have the bandwith I need for high frequencies, I guess) or using it in another PC.
Falkentyne wrote:When you change an option, it doesn't do anything?
After that error, the application opens, but changing settings there doesn't do anything. All configurations I made until now were done at the service menu, and it worked fine.
Falkentyne wrote:@Chief:
Have you gotten lightboost mode working with V2?
I need to know that too. I can't believe I'm the only one with a V2 monitor and a 3D kit.

I won't be at home today (rare situation). I'll be back in maybe 12 hours.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Apr 2014, 07:46

The same "Unable to Hail Monitor" problem will also lead to LightBoost not working for 3D Vision too, since LightBoost also needs to communicate to the monitor too. So now I suspect this is a different kind of problem, possibly unrelated to V2

-- Try a different cable
-- Try a different port on your graphics card
-- If using DVI, use DisplayPort. If using DisplayPort, use DVI.

I think you already tried at least some of the above, but just want to make sure all the bases are covered.
If Strobe Utility won't work, then LightBoost likely won't work either. This is because of a requirement to communicate DDC/CI between the computer and the monitor, in order for it to work.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 17 Apr 2014, 16:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:The same "Unable to Hail Monitor" problem will also lead to LightBoost not working for 3D Vision too, since LightBoost also needs to communicate to the monitor too. So now I suspect this is a different kind of problem, possibly unrelated to V2
Interesting. I hope it can be solved. Before the tings I'm goint to say, I've reinstalled the monitor drivers once again.
Chief Blur Buster wrote: -- Try a different cable
Done. It didn't work. I used a VGA cable and another SL-DVI (I don't have 2 DL-DVI). With the VGA you application said that a BenQ Z monitor wasn't detected. I guess that's because it's an analog connection. With the other DVI, I had the same problem as with the one I use.
Chief Blur Buster wrote: -- Try a different port on your graphics card
Also done, and it also didn't work. I tried the other cables with the other DVI port of my GTX 760 (the monitor doesn't have a DP port). Same error as always.
Chief Blur Buster wrote: -- If using DVI, use DisplayPort. If using DisplayPort, use DVI.
Like I said before, the XL2411Z doesn't have DP.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:I think you already tried at least some of the above, but just want to make sure all the bases are covered.
If Strobe Utility won't work, then LightBoost likely won't work either. This is because of a requirement to communicate DDC/CI between the computer and the monitor, in order for it to work.
I think those cases are covered. Maybe I need to reinstall the V2 firmware :( , because Lightboost worked fine in V1.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Apr 2014, 17:05

Make sure you're not in Service Menu mode -- I bet you already tried this, but I wanted to make sure.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 17 Apr 2014, 17:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Make sure you're not in Service Menu mode -- I bet you already tried this, but I wanted to make sure.
Yeah, I made sure of that, in case that could interfere :lol: .
Maybe tomorrow I'll do again the firmware update process.

Hey, wait, even if the service menu doesn't appear, the button at the right shows the burn in menu. Can it be that the problem? Well, it's a menu that saus Auto Color, Color Temp, EDID PASS, etc. I turned BurnIn off in that menu just in case.

Aaaaand that's it, disabling the burn in menu made you utility work. I feel so stupid. I'll chech 3D right now. Sorry for wasting your time (if everything is OK).

LOL, I edited this post too much, I hope you've seen it all.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 17 Apr 2014, 17:14

Yeaaaah, Lightboost is back :D . Again, sorry about all this. If this happens to anyone else it may be of some help.

Damn, LB at 10% is too bright XD.