Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
GammaLyrae

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by GammaLyrae » 08 Jun 2020, 17:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 17:03
Kosti wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 14:28
I'm also having the weird color issues when using fastest overdrive and not using native colors. And it would be really nice to get a solution for this since i like the fast picture but dislike the exaggerated amount of red color coming from choosing "native".
donnie wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 10:37
To be really honest, I've send him pictures and details about this issue, and even when he asked me to mail him everything, I've sent him an email, to which I never gotten a reply.
About the apparent bug:

I have already forwarded the info. I'm still waiting to hear back actually -- stand by.

I will remind/ping to make sure they've reproduced the issue. Apologies for the delay...
While we're on the subject of bugs, I'd like to check in on something: With the default resolution settings (No CRU tweaks), the monitor set to 240hz with Adaptive Sync enabled, I get screen blackouts if the refresh rate dips to below certain thresholds. This is most noticeable if the game I am playing temporarily hitches, like if the engine is paused while it's loading in assets. I've first seen it in games like MMOs where player and enemy models are dynamically loading in, but I've seen it on other titles that exhibit similar temporary hitching. Loading screens for games can occasionally cause this too.

I took some advice from a post earlier in the thread and used CRU to adjust the VRR range from 48-240 to 55-240 and can at least confirm this has reduced the blackouts, but I haven't been able to confirm with 100% certainty that they're eliminated. Are you/viewsonic aware of this issue? This is while using the latest firmware, the latest Nvidia drivers, and the Displayport 1.3/1.4 firmware update supplied by Nvidia on a GTX 1080.

As a loose commentary; I knew to expect this kind of behavior if I was using a non-certified freesync monitor on an Nvidia graphics card, but G-Sync certified monitors are supposed to avoid problems like this and was one of the reasons I was OK moving away from a G-Sync module-based monitor. The blackouts do not happen in fixed refresh rate modes, with or without PureXP.

donnie

Post by donnie » 09 Jun 2020, 01:43

While we're on the subject of bugs, I'd like to check in on something: With the default resolution settings (No CRU tweaks), the monitor set to 240hz with Adaptive Sync enabled, I get screen blackouts if the refresh rate dips to below certain thresholds. This is most noticeable if the game I am playing temporarily hitches, like if the engine is paused while it's loading in assets. I've first seen it in games like MMOs where player and enemy models are dynamically loading in, but I've seen it on other titles that exhibit similar temporary hitching. Loading screens for games can occasionally cause this too.

I took some advice from a post earlier in the thread and used CRU to adjust the VRR range from 48-240 to 55-240 and can at least confirm this has reduced the blackouts, but I haven't been able to confirm with 100% certainty that they're eliminated. Are you/viewsonic aware of this issue? This is while using the latest firmware, the latest Nvidia drivers, and the Displayport 1.3/1.4 firmware update supplied by Nvidia on a GTX 1080.

As a loose commentary; I knew to expect this kind of behavior if I was using a non-certified freesync monitor on an Nvidia graphics card, but G-Sync certified monitors are supposed to avoid problems like this and was one of the reasons I was OK moving away from a G-Sync module-based monitor. The blackouts do not happen in fixed refresh rate modes, with or without PureXP.
Changing to 55-240 for me has eliminated all the blackouts. Where are you experiencing them after raising the limits?

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 09 Jun 2020, 10:20

Viewsonic is triying to fix backlight bleeding in new units ?

search.php?keywords=bleeding&t=5998&sf=msgonly

Is reported here, in Rtings review, and also in comments inside shops. Realy worries many buyers, and is the cause of some returns.

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 09 Jun 2020, 13:24

donnie wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 01:43

Changing to 55-240 for me has eliminated all the blackouts. Where are you experiencing them after raising the limits?
I didn't mean to imply I'm still having them, but until I've done enough testing with games and content I knew caused problems before the tweak, I can't say with 100% certainty that it's fixed.

I also would still call this a bug because something that has passed Nvidia's certification process should not require a 3rd party app and a reduction in the range of VRR to function correctly. We here are savvy enough to fix it, your average buyer would return the monitor.

fansc

Post by fansc » 09 Jun 2020, 23:28

^ I also have the AW2518HF and was happy with it when i first got it, strictly for csgo. After a few months though, something didn't allow the monitor to maintain that level of smoothness; everything in motion looked "noisy" as if frames were stuttering. The fucked up thing is, sometimes the monitor is smooth for a game, then afterwards it's choppy again. What does that mean?

KissyKissy

Post by KissyKissy » 10 Jun 2020, 17:59

Hey guys,

So this thread and more specifically Chief's posts in here convinced me to get this monitor.

I am however facing an issue at the moment. My Display controller suddenly stopped showing the options menu to configure the screen. I can only see the RGB settings tab in the main menu. Did I somehow disable it in any way? I can't seem to find anyone with a similar issue on the internet. Is there anyone here that has seen this before on their xg270?

I am still on version 1.2.0.0(I can see the different PureXP settings from light to ultra).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jun 2020, 22:38

KissyKissy wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 17:59
I am however facing an issue at the moment. My Display controller suddenly stopped showing the options menu to configure the screen. I can only see the RGB settings tab in the main menu. Did I somehow disable it in any way? I can't seem to find anyone with a similar issue on the internet. Is there anyone here that has seen this before on their xg270?
Any system change or configuration such as switching ports with the cable? Or disabling DDC/CI via monitor menus? (It should be enabled for Display Controller to work reliably)

- Try a hard reboot (monitor unplug)
- Can you do a Memory Recall (factory reset) with your XG270 and to a full reboot?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

KissyKissy

Post by KissyKissy » 11 Jun 2020, 02:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 22:38
- Can you do a Memory Recall (factory reset) with your XG270 and to a full reboot?
Just did that, no effect.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 22:38
- Try a hard reboot (monitor unplug)
Also didn't resolve the problem sadly.

I just found their technical support site. I'll create a ticket and report back their solution in case anyone else has this issue. Thanks for the troubleshooting tips Chief!

donnie

Post by donnie » 11 Jun 2020, 06:31

Guys I have some bad news,

I've just spoken to Viewsonic support about the Full color control issue. After sending their technicians a video of the issue, they have simply confirmed me that this is a known limitation of this model and that the two modes should not be used together.

Wow. Now this is something that's actually beyond me. Basically we are stuck in few color profiles if we wanna use the fastest mode. I never had this on any monitor I used. That is ofc if we do not lower the timings in CRU ourselves. I am not sure why they don't grey out the option if its a known limitation.

If you want proof of their correspondence lemme know I'll post emails of their official responses.

Donnie

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jun 2020, 15:22

donnie wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 06:31
Wow. Now this is something that's actually beyond me. Basically we are stuck in few color profiles if we wanna use the fastest mode. I never had this on any monitor I used. That is ofc if we do not lower the timings in CRU ourselves. I am not sure why they don't grey out the option if its a known limitation.
Hmmm.

Given I encounter thousands of displays over the last decade, I've accidentally seen this problem recur quite often. Not on a majority of displays, but it's not unique to ViewSonic.

Different perspective:
The lack of grey-out feature may be the confusing issue itself.
They already fixed it for disabling gamma adjustment in profiles (e.g. "Vibrant") where gamma is not supported. Formerly, some settings were not greyed-out in earlier firmwares, then they added the grey-out to the Gamma adjustment for profiles not supporting Gamma. I'll relay this suggestion to their department.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!