Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Dmoney405

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Dmoney405 » 11 Jun 2020, 15:38

donnie wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 06:31
Guys I have some bad news,

I've just spoken to Viewsonic support about the Full color control issue. After sending their technicians a video of the issue, they have simply confirmed me that this is a known limitation of this model and that the two modes should not be used together.

Wow. Now this is something that's actually beyond me. Basically we are stuck in few color profiles if we wanna use the fastest mode. I never had this on any monitor I used. That is ofc if we do not lower the timings in CRU ourselves. I am not sure why they don't grey out the option if its a known limitation.

If you want proof of their correspondence lemme know I'll post emails of their official responses.

Donnie
Ugh, that's annoying. If it's onboard memory space then get rid of silliness like HZ limiter, "OC" mode, or one of the preset custom modes. It's definitely not hardware limitations because we can easily form a solution through software so they should as well, right? It feels a bit lazy.

Dmoney405

Post by Dmoney405 » 11 Jun 2020, 15:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 15:22
donnie wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 06:31
Wow. Now this is something that's actually beyond me. Basically we are stuck in few color profiles if we wanna use the fastest mode. I never had this on any monitor I used. That is ofc if we do not lower the timings in CRU ourselves. I am not sure why they don't grey out the option if its a known limitation.
Hmmm.

Given I encounter thousands of displays over the last decade, I've accidentally seen this problem recur quite often. Not on a majority of displays, but it's not unique to ViewSonic.

Different perspective:
The lack of grey-out feature may be the confusing issue itself.
They already fixed it for disabling gamma adjustment in profiles (e.g. "Vibrant") where gamma is not supported. Formerly, some settings were not greyed-out in earlier firmwares, then they added the grey-out to the Gamma adjustment for profiles not supporting Gamma. I'll relay this suggestion to their department.
I'd rather not have the option removed because with our simple fix it works. That sounds like the wrong direction to go with a monitor purely used for blur reduction, even if it is minor.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jun 2020, 16:10

Dmoney405 wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 15:42
I'd rather not have the option removed because with our simple fix it works. That sounds like the wrong direction to go with a monitor purely used for blur reduction, even if it is minor.
Yeah, that's a consideration -- due to a known workaround.

Looking further in the tool being used (ToastyX CRU.exe from www.monitortests.com)

Default ViewSonic 240Hz shows these numbers in ToastX (in the CEA-861 Block)
- Refresh Rate 239.760 Hz
- Pixel Clock to 564.59 MHz
- Horizontal Scan Rate of 278 KHz

Creating a new 240Hz mode under "LCD Native" generates these numbers:
- Refresh Rate 240.000 Hz
- Pixel Clock 594.00 MHz
- Horizontal Scan Rate of 270 KHz

So a number increases, and a different number decreases. It appears that the Horizontal Scan Rate is the number that gets bigger (Scan Rate is a fixture of displays for a century, since the first analog TV broadcasts. Digitally, it represents the number of pixel rows per second). Internally, it can represent processing time per pixel row (1/270,000sec versus 1/278,000sec).

That said -- In an ideal world, they could reprogram the CEA-861 Extension Block (EDID/DisplayID) to use the LCD Native (while also adding 180Hz / 224Hz modes), then it becomes Plug-n-Play. But this could have unforeseen effects/interactions (Increase in Pixel Clock going out-of-spec on older GPUs, despite the lower Horizontal Scan Rate). As well as potentially disrupt existing users due to unexpected interactions and pre-configured settings may no longer work after firmware upgrade.

Sorry that there has been this unexpected issue -- sent you a PM.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

donnie

Post by donnie » 11 Jun 2020, 17:24

My question is, given that we use the LCD Native timings and this numbers changing, I am not sure how this affects latency and input lag? You've mentioned processing times per pixel row changing.

Is there a significant difference between the originally programed CEA-861 and the Native timings in terms of lag?

slurp

Post by slurp » 11 Jun 2020, 18:06

What are the optimal settings for playing CSGO/Valorant with the intent of maximizing frames/low input lag?

My initial intent was to set it to 240Hz, fps capped at 240, Adaptive Sync On, V-sync off to take advantage of PureXP. However, it seems like that’s not ideal, and it appears PureXP is less advantageous than playing on a MOBA (and I also play on a low DPI at 400). Thanks!

Kryptik

Post by Kryptik » 11 Jun 2020, 20:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 15:48
witega wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 23:45
Yeah 120hz strobed is incredible with this monitor. I am not seeing any crosstalk, just remarkable. With the color accuracy of an IPS, it's time to retire the Sony FW900 (well I already did, but if I still had it).
That's quite the testimonial!

Right now, used FW900 CRTs are priced at several thousand dollars, partially thanks to DigitalFoundry and Vice. And shipping costing several hundred...

I love CRTs as much as the next person, but Blur Busters is striving to keep improving LCDs to try to match ever closer and closer to CRTs. The XG270 is much cheaper, easier to carry and ship, and has other benefits like tack-sharp 1080p. Sure, you have to throttle back the Hertz a bit to make the crosstalk disappear, but even the FW900 barely does 120Hz at 1080p.

I have a FW900 CRT loan offer. I might head-head XG270 versus FW900 in early 2020 because I feel the XG270 wins in most categories except absolute-blacks.

For most people, I feel that is no longer enough to compensate for the XG270 winning categories, now that the crosstalk-free strobe color problem is finally solvable with 240Hz 1ms IPS panels.
Like many others I've been looking for a CRT like monitor for a long time. I started to hear about this monitor recently and how people compare it to CRTs. To me that's important because I do digital art and play fps games like quake so having a monitor with accurate colors, motion clarity and very low input lag is what I'm looking for.

These 240HZ IPS monitors seems to be be what I'm looking for but I have some questions about this monitor. I'm sorry if you have already answered some of them before but it's hard for to go through 50 pages to find what i'm looking for.

First of all why has this monitor specifically been compared to CRT monitors like the FW900. What advantages does it have over other 240HZ IPS monitors when it comes to motion clarity.

I've posted in the other thread about the 240hz IPS monitors tier list where RLCScontender has concluded that the MSI MAG251RX and Asus VG259QM were the best 240HZ IPS monitors available. I'm curious to know how the Viewsonic XG270 compares to them and what advantages does it have over them if any. I'm still interested in it and would like to know more about it.

Also i keep reading that to get that CRT like motion clarity this monitor should be used at 100-120HZ. Why is that and what about using it at higher refresh rates like 240HZ? For example what would be the best way to use it for a game like quake live to get that CRT like feeling?

Also what about using it at lower resolutions but with higher refresh rates like 240hz, would that make a difference or will it still have some issues?..when using CRTs I'm used to use lower resolution because that's the only way to get higher refresh rates.

Another question, you mentioned earlier in this thread that you are not aware if Viewsonic is going to release a 24 version. Has this changed and are they planning to?

Sorry my technical knowledge about monitors and how they work is a bit limited so hopefully you can explain in simpler terms..thanks

donnie

Post by donnie » 12 Jun 2020, 01:03

slurp wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 18:06
What are the optimal settings for playing CSGO/Valorant with the intent of maximizing frames/low input lag?

My initial intent was to set it to 240Hz, fps capped at 240, Adaptive Sync On, V-sync off to take advantage of PureXP. However, it seems like that’s not ideal, and it appears PureXP is less advantageous than playing on a MOBA (and I also play on a low DPI at 400). Thanks!
CSGO -> 240 hz, no cap, no gsync and overkill frames (300-400 fps). OD Fastest
Valorant-> 224hz OD Fastest G-Sync on and cap 4 on 220fps. You can also try 240hz, G-Sync on 236fps cap. I prefer not using V-Sync.

If you are not able to overkill frames by a lot then just use the G-Sync with fps cap 4fps below your choosen hz. I found that PureXP profits more in MOBA's and games that have a lot of scrolling as for FPS, I prefer not to use it.

qgshadow

Post by qgshadow » 12 Jun 2020, 13:34

So what's the prefered way to create the custom 224hz resolution now?

CRU or Nvidia Control Panel and which settings to use?

KissyKissy

Post by KissyKissy » 13 Jun 2020, 04:15

Are any of you guys using G-sync? I'm getting black screen flickering when I'm in game menu's with this turned on.

I'm trying to run Gsync On/Response Time OD: Fastest/ 224hz. I should have the latest drivers.

EDIT: I managed to resolve the issue by reinstalling the game ready drivers and selecting the "delete profiles and settings" during the uninstall process
Last edited by KissyKissy on 13 Jun 2020, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

donnie

Post by donnie » 13 Jun 2020, 14:14

qgshadow wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 13:34
So what's the prefered way to create the custom 224hz resolution now?

CRU or Nvidia Control Panel and which settings to use?
Cru under CEA block because in NVCP created res you wont be able to set the 10bit color setting. I find nvcp has a bug where any custom resolution is jumping back to 8bit.

The gsync blackouts are fixed by raising the vrr limit to 55.