05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
kofman13

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by kofman13 » 12 Jun 2020, 09:53

I wish someone would make a godly TN tier list like this. But maybe it would be pointless since everyone probably thinks Zowie is best TN anyway?

asukachan

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by asukachan » 12 Jun 2020, 10:06

What difference does it make if I don't have "native" next to my resolution ? I have a BENQ XL2411P
Attachments
gaegsr.png
gaegsr.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 46628 times

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 12 Jun 2020, 10:34

kofman13 wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 09:53
I wish someone would make a godly TN tier list like this. But maybe it would be pointless since everyone probably thinks Zowie is best TN anyway?
I think he mentioned before that the omen 25f is one of the best if I am not mistaken

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 12 Jun 2020, 12:41

Ryno24 wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 08:28
1. download cru and create a custom resolution of 1920x1080p at 240hz refresh rate. Once you do that, exit the screen and go to nvidia control panel and under "PC" it will show 1920x1080 as NATIVE instead of the HD/4k/etc. This means it will use display scaling isntead of GPU scaling which reduces input lag

(credits to pedrodd for providing this photo)

Thank you for this info but is there anywhere that explains this easier for a dummy like me?
First you have to know the backstory. I was wondering WHY, under PC resolutions(under nvidia control panel) that it doesn't say "NATIVE" on it but in Ultra HD, HD, SD TV resolutions, it shows as "native". The problem with its "native" resolution under UHD, HD, SD, you cannot set the refresh rate any higher than 120hz but under the non-native 1080p resolution, i'm able to put it at 240hz refresh rate.

at the time, i thought it wasn't a big deal but i didn't understand the magnitude of this importance. Basically, if you leave it on its native resolution(under UHD, HD, SD), it will be on display scaling, the problem was, i cannot go higher than 120hz. Whereas on the non native 1080p resolution under PC, i'm able to get 240hz but because the computer considers it "non-native", it will scale with the GPU, giving it a slightly more blurry screen and MORE input lag. i WAS THIS CLOSE TO RETURNING THE MONITOR.

thank god for CRU. where i was able to switch the native resolution to PC instead of Ultra HD, HD, SD. Once I did this, it's now officially scaling on the DISPLAY instead of my GPU. The differences are subtle but noticeable.

step 1 download/install CRU (i have windows 10) so this is for windows

https://custom-resolution-utility.en.lo4d.com/windows

step 2 Open Cru.exe (DBL click on it)

step 3 uncheck ALL of the resolutions on the left side

step 4 click on DELETE ALL, then click on ADD, it will take you to a different screen.

step 5 TYPE In 240.000, then click Ok. Click OK then exit.

here are pictures(for the sake of convenience, i'm using pedro and foriis photos, so credits to them)

Image (FOLLOW THE RED MARKERS)

Image (FOLLOW THE GREEN MARKER)

step 6. on NVIDIA control panel, go to resolution.1080p or 1920x1080 will show up "NATIVE" under PC resolutions and NOT on Ultra HD, HD, SD(TV resolutions). I tested this and i was shocked when at 120hz refresh on its native TV resolution, the input lag was slightly better than the intput lag at 1080p non native PC resolution at 240hz.

Nvidia control panel lies to you. even if you you set it as "display scaling" if it's NOT on its native resolution, it will just automatically do GPU scaling(added input lag).

and guess what i found out when i was tinkering with all that? that the MSI MAG251rx is 10bit+FRC(12 bit color depth) under HDMI connection @120hz

i killed TWO birds with ONE stone that day. Actually 3 birds (less input lag, less blurry screen, and 12 bit color depth)

EDIT: you can also use CRU to have a custom resolution LOWER than 1080p, that way if you want to have more FPS, it will still scale on the display and NOT on the GPU. Another thing, other 240hz ips monitors do not have this problem. Their native resolution is automatically set under PC(right out the box). So if u own a 240hz ips monitor OTHER than the msi mag251rx, you don't need to do all of this(unless u intend to use ur monitor on a lower resolution(more FPS) while STILL able to scale on the display instead of GPU)

Gunta0

Post by Gunta0 » 12 Jun 2020, 12:56

RLCScontender wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 12:41
Ryno24 wrote:
1. download cru and create a custom resolution of 1920x1080p at 240hz refresh rate. Once you do that, exit the screen and go to nvidia control panel and under "PC" it will show 1920x1080 as NATIVE instead of the HD/4k/etc. This means it will use display scaling isntead of GPU scaling which reduces input lag

Thank you for this info but is there anywhere that explains this easier for a dummy like me?
First you have to know the backstory. I was wondering WHY, under PC resolutions(under nvidia control panel) that it doesn't say "NATIVE" on it but in Ultra HD, HD, SD TV resolutions, it shows as "native". The problem with its "native" resolution under UHD, HD, SD, you cannot set the refresh rate any higher than 120hz but under the non-native 1080p resolution, i'm able to put it at 240hz refresh rate.

at the time, i thought it wasn't a big deal but i didn't understand the magnitude of this importance. Basically, if you leave it on its native resolution(under UHD, HD, SD), it will be on display scaling, the problem was, i cannot go higher than 120hz. Whereas on the non native 1080p resolution under PC, i'm able to get 240hz but because the computer considers it "non-native", it will scale with the GPU, giving it a slightly more blurry screen and MORE input lag. i WAS THIS CLOSE TO RETURNING THE MONITOR.

thank god for CRU. where i was able to switch the native resolution to PC instead of Ultra HD, HD, SD. Once I did this, it's now officially scaling on the DISPLAY instead of my GPU. The differences are subtle but noticeable.

step 4 click on DELETE ALL, then click on ADD, it will take you to a different screen.

here are pictures(for the sake of convenience, i'm using pedro and foriis photos, so credits to them)

step 6. on NVIDIA control panel, go to resolution.1080p or 1920x1080 will show up "NATIVE" under PC resolutions and NOT on Ultra HD, HD, SD(TV resolutions). I tested this and i was shocked when at 120hz refresh on its native TV resolution, the input lag was slightly better than the intput lag at 1080p non native PC resolution at 240hz.

Nvidia control panel lies to you. even if you you set it as "display scaling" if it's NOT on its native resolution, it will just automatically do GPU scaling(added input lag).

and guess what i found out when i was tinkering with all that? that the MSI MAG251rx is 10bit+FRC(12 bit color depth) under HDMI connection @120hz

i killed TWO birds with ONE stone that day. Actually 3 birds (less input lag, less blurry screen, and 12 bit color depth)
Hi,

You have a good video tutorial here Force Display Scaling v2 - YouTube

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 12 Jun 2020, 13:25

kofman13 wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 09:53
performance wise that i've seen on some review sites, the omen x25f is the fastest TN @240hz with 2ms response time. if not the omen, then its the nitro xv253 since these two consistenty rank the best out of some of the review websites.

basically the fastest 240hz TN is around 2ms response times(Omen x25f/nitro xv253) while the fastest 240hz IPS is 3ms response times(MSI) but if the framerates goes ABOVE 240hz, the fastest monitor in the world is the asus VG259qm, my official review is coming up VERY soonn. Does that 1ms response time make a difference? In my opinion, not really.

I'm still surprised why esports are still running on TN, when the Asus VG279qm and the asus vg259qm surpassed TN when it comes to peak performance. Then again, TN still KING if the FPS is 240hz and below. so if the framerates of those esports titles are below 240hz, it's understandable why they use TN. And yes, many esports games have an FPS cap
Last edited by RLCScontender on 12 Jun 2020, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 12 Jun 2020, 13:38

About to YOLO it and give 0.5ms g2g response times of the asus vg259qm on OD 100 a try.

0.5 ms response times with roughly 70-80% overshoot error rate. I think that is the lowest i've EVER seen whether its IPS or TN. You only live once right? Hopefully i don't get sick with all the blue artefacs running. It's saturday, i might as well give it a try.

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 12 Jun 2020, 13:44

Will you ever do a test with the 25f just to see if the 1ms response time difference will change your performance in rocket league on 240hz or are you sticking to ips?

sanoff

Post by sanoff » 12 Jun 2020, 14:43

Gunta0 wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 12:56
RLCScontender wrote:
Ryno24 wrote:

Hi,

You have a good video tutorial here Force Display Scaling v2 - YouTube

If I want to play rocket league in 240hz then how to set this whole cru doesn't want 120hz but 240

Ryno24

Post by Ryno24 » 12 Jun 2020, 14:50

RLCScontender wrote:
Ryno24 wrote:

EDIT: you can also use CRU to have a custom resolution LOWER than 1080p, that way if you want to have more FPS, it will still scale on the display and NOT on the GPU. Another thing, other 240hz ips monitors do not have this problem. Their native resolution is automatically set under PC(right out the box). So if u own a 240hz ips monitor OTHER than the msi mag251rx, you don't need to do all of this(unless u intend to use ur monitor on a lower resolution(more FPS) while STILL able to scale on the display instead of GPU)
Thank you so much for explaining this more for me. Its so much better!