05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RLCSContender*

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by RLCSContender* » 12 Jun 2020, 15:41

fowteen wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 13:44
Will you ever do a test with the 25f just to see if the 1ms response time difference will change your performance in rocket league on 240hz or are you sticking to ips?
I've already done it back in january of this year

The moderation staff doesn't take it too kindly when i post divisive yet TESTABLE/observable facts and opinions. Even if it's true, it's really not something (especially a TN owner) would want to hear, so out of empathy, i wil refrain from answering your question in a blunt manner.

but yes, i've already done it. And my performance suffered because i play a game where i need 100% clarity on my monitor, and the distortions of TN technology(since our eyeballs aren't falt, it's curved) and the saturation shift from top/bottom/corners/etc despite looking at the monitor directly in front of me are the main factors. this is game dependente however, i play rocket league so it's easier for me to know what the goalkeeper is doing on the TOP of my screen on an IPS than using a TN. On shooters, it's probably not a big deal.

Even if there was no saturation shifts and that there's no image distortation, the slightly added input lag will play a role in my performance. Not saying the omen x27/omen x25f have bad input lag, i believe rtings has the input lag equal to that of their most recently reviewed 240hz ips monitor, 27gn750 a slower 240hz IPS monitor

but when it comes to the 25" predator input lag or the 24.5" MSi input lag, these omens aren't as snappy. I tested the 27" version, which is basically just as fast as the fastest TN (x25f). 2.1 and 2.3 response times are basically nothing. For a point of reference, these are the FASTEST of the FAST, the top 99%(if not the fastest). There maybe unreviewed TN that maybe faster but generally speaking, the OMENs consistently get ranked the best in basically every reviewer website(along with the acer nitro xv253q

2019 taurus sho 0 60

when it comes to motion blur, i did'nt see any differences comparing my MSI to the omen in practice but the UFO tests are slightly better for the omen. then again, in practice i didn't see it. When ppl "whine" and complain as to why 240hz ips is so "blurry" it's bcuz they are probably comparing to much slower 240hz IPS. alienware/msi rarely gets compared to TN.(that reviewer compared all 3 of the alienwares he claimed that the aw2521HF as the fastest alienware(even faster than his TN alienware)

phpBB [video]

Joel D

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by Joel D » 12 Jun 2020, 17:34

Just got my MSI guys ! I think I lucked out a lot as I am satisfied with this one (first try). Just a tiny almost unnoticeable BLB on right hand side, rest is flawless. And thats in a dead pitch black room. Once I have a touch of ambient light in the room, I see no BLB anywhere. No dead pixels.

Trying to attach the short video I made, but it won't let me. It shows the BLB the best. Pics here don't show it too well as I had to have some light on or the pic was too nasty looking.

That said, I'm keeping it ! Love it ! But I need massive help. I would PLEASE like a detailed list of exactly all settings you are using RLCS.. please. I just read the display scaling thing, lol and I was wondering why that is happening to me, so I will need to download that app and do that.

So including that I'd like *ALL* your in-monitor settings used and *ALL* the Nvidia Control Panel settings your using on this panel... please. I know its a "gotta try and see for yourself thing", but I am getting super confused as most of these settings make no difference I can pick up on quick enough and it's frustrating. I'd like to start with yours then tinker from there over time slowly.

Also I'm a little confused about the Windows "System Settings" on the display/graphics. Should those be set to anything other than default ? Theres one in particular that says: "Choose a App to Set Preference: Classic, Universal or Add One" - Its on Classic. What is best to do here ?

Nowhere in the Monitor settings does it allow me to change the refresh rate, it seems to only give option of Refresh Rate "Location" off/on. Whats best there ? But rather refresh rate is slaved to what Nvidia is set to. And I did the thing where I went to PC to get it to 240 for now. lol And even though I do not have Anti-Motion Blur turned on, my contrast and brightness controls are grayed out.

Why does Game Mode FPS seem to turn my screen black and white, or definitely gray out colors ? Am I doing something wrong ? What is RGB LED ? Response time ? Etc.. Please help

Other than those settings, I will purchase the recommended Calibration stuff now and do that one it comes. iDisplay Pro and DisplayCAL are the best for the buck right ? For someone like me ? Or what do you recommend ?

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 12 Jun 2020, 17:36

Thats just out the box settings. At that point I had tweaked nothing due to seeing if I was going to pack it up and send it back.
BLBPic1.jpg
BLBPic1.jpg (981.9 KiB) Viewed 45904 times
BLBPic2.jpg
BLBPic2.jpg (950.3 KiB) Viewed 45904 times

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 12 Jun 2020, 17:53

No Dead Pixels:
DPTPic1.jpg
DPTPic1.jpg (911.59 KiB) Viewed 45893 times
DPTPic2.jpg
DPTPic2.jpg (887.62 KiB) Viewed 45893 times
DPTPic3.jpg
DPTPic3.jpg (931.52 KiB) Viewed 45893 times

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 12 Jun 2020, 17:58

lucky you, took me FOUR attempts and i won the panel lottery. Let me know the saturation levels once you install my recommend ICC profile. With mine, it looks like it's just as good as the 98% dci-p3 133% srgb nano IPS panels.

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/support/Opt ... own-driver

download the folder and install the ICM profile in the folder (yes, the mag272's icc profile is the best for the mag251rx, it USED to be on the MSI'251rx as well before they took it off for some weird reason). **keep in mind, every panel is different so if you aren't satisfied with waht you see, then don't use it.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 12 Jun 2020, 18:03

Thanks man. Its got some bleed though- Here is video showing the BLB best - pitch black room. Notice it on the right hand side (everything else is just ips glow or something):

phpBB [video]

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 12 Jun 2020, 18:50

grab a soft napkin cloth and gently wipe where you get blb towards the corners. This should reduce or eliminate the bleed.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 12 Jun 2020, 20:35

RLCScontender wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 17:58
Let me know the saturation levels once you install my recommend ICC profile. With mine, it looks like it's just as good as the 98% dci-p3 133% srgb nano IPS panels.

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/support/Opt ... own-driver

download the folder and install the ICM profile in the folder (yes, the mag272's icc profile is the best for the mag251rx, it USED to be on the MSI'251rx as well before they took it off for some weird reason). **keep in mind, every panel is different so if you aren't satisfied with waht you see, then don't use it.
Thanks so much. Remember, I have absolutely no clue what I am doing as I am new to this and also PC's (first PC). So I'm not sure how to do things and def will need like super layman instructions. I also could mess something up too.. lol So wanna be careful. That said, I am super savvy in general (at anything) and Mac's especially, so I will catch on quick if you're patient. I'm just literally 2 days experience on a PC so far. And 1 day experience with the MSI monitor and Nvidia control panel.

btw, I want to make sure I got the latest driver for my card too.. I notice mine happens to be the "Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC edition O11G". Still Nvidia I was told, but they just tweak it and sell it as their's. My control panel is indeed "Nvidia Control Panel" so I know its legit. Now on PC's how do I check to see what version driver I have for this card ? I was told by Asus that the latest is v445.87.

Yes sir, I totally understand about every panel not being the same, so sometimes copying settings doesn't translate identical. I won't hold you to any expectations. I appreciate all help

RLCScontender wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 18:50
grab a soft napkin cloth and gently wipe where you get blb towards the corners. This should reduce or eliminate the bleed.
Wow ! Really ? Awesome, let me give that a try. Pro best to just use a camera lens cloth right ?

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 13 Jun 2020, 00:59

RLCScontender wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 15:41
fowteen wrote:
Will you ever do a test with the 25f just to see if the 1ms response time difference will change your performance in rocket league on 240hz or are you sticking to ips?

but when it comes to the 25" predator input lag or the 24.5" MSi input lag, these omens aren't as snappy. I tested the 27" version, which is basically just as fast as the fastest TN (x25f). 2.1 and 2.3 response times are basically nothing. For a point of reference, these are the FASTEST of the FAST, the top 99%(if not the fastest). There maybe unreviewed TN that maybe faster but generally speaking, the OMENs consistently get ranked the best in basically every reviewer website(along with the acer nitro xv253q
Interesting. My goal it's to get the panel with a lowest input lag. I have vg279qm with 2.3-2.4ms as I understand from different reviews(and of course from your measurements). I considered Omen x27 after this video https://youtu.be/2Ybm_LOKWB4?t=659 , but now have doubts after these words about Omens "snappy". And now look for Acer nitro xv253qx. How do you think, is it noticable difference in input delay between 1.6-2.0ms(Acer) and 2.4ms(VG279QM) ? According to your measurements.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 13 Jun 2020, 01:32

sk1p wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 00:59
RLCScontender wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 15:41
fowteen wrote:

Interesting. My goal it's to get the panel with a lowest input lag. I have vg279qm with 2.3-2.4ms as I understand from different reviews(and of course from your measurements). I considered Omen x27 after this video https://youtu.be/2Ybm_LOKWB4?t=659 , but now have doubts after these words about Omens "snappy". And now look for Acer nitro xv253qx. How do you think, is it noticable difference in input delay between 1.6-2.0ms(Acer) and 2.4ms(VG279QM) ? According to your measurements.
i feel it because i play a very dexterity heavy game called rocket league. For example, if you are even half a frame off when moving your joystick or 1/16 of a second off, that will determine a 65mph booming shot or a WHIFF that gets counterattacked.

if you want the lowest input lag, the Acer clones(the nitro/predator) were seemingly the most snappy. For some odd reason, there's no processing delay throughout the refresh rate range. Acer Predator xb253q gx and the nitro xv273 x were tied for the lowest input lag i've ever experienced.

the fastest TN has more input lag and it gets UGLY if you play at lower refresh rates. For example, the Alienware aw2521hf's input lag is generally consistent throughout its refresh rate range, Even on 60hz, the input lag is still low(240hz, it's almost as low as the acer clone). But when i had the omen x27, the input lag was unbearable (especially at 60hz). Even the fastest TN omen x25f, the input lag gets UGLY if the FPS is below 240hz(according to rtings).

Another thing about response times,, yes the omen x27 and omen x25f have very fast response times, a good 1ms advantage, but it's NOT consistent within its refres rate range. For example, the MSI MAG251rx, all i gotta do is set it to "faster" and i'm set for life. Because FASTER OD on the MSI is Excellent throughout its refresh rate range, 3ms response times at 240hz? no problem, 3ms response times at 60hz? no problem. Hardware unboxed claims at 144hz, faster OD gave too much overshoot, but i beg to differ since i didn't see that much overshoot. imagine playing halo 6 on the series x at 3ms response times, i can't think of any other monitor with such a low response time at 60hz unless it has massive overshoot. The overshoot remains 5-6% throughout the refresh rate range of the MSI(although Tim claims at 144hz, there's too much overshoot, but i didn't see it when I measured it)

for First person shooters, these small differences in input lag probably doesn't matter especially if your brain is accustomed to the delay, but for a dexterity heavy game likr rocket league, it ADDS UP. I press my button so many times per minute that all of the input lag that i've experienced WILL eventually catch up to me, and that ONE final 50/50 will determine if i win the game or not.

unfortunately for the vg279qm owners, i ranked it LAST in input lag at 60hz. It was so horrendous, i didn't even want to use it for general computer activities like browsing the internet. But at 240hz-280hz, the input lag is excellent and snappy.

for console gaming, the viewsonic elite xg270, alienware aw2521hf and the msi mag251rx are excellent.