Theory, how to do G-Sync with reduced blur

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
chatterbot

Theory, how to do G-Sync with reduced blur

Post by chatterbot » 18 Apr 2014, 08:01

If I had a choice, I'd prefer to reduce tearing/stutter than motion blur. My rig has an Nvidia GTX 690 card so I can game with ultra settings at 60 fps, using smooth vsync to eliminate tearing. However, I also greatly dislike motion blur. So, I was thinking about how I can reduce tearing, stutter, and motion blur at 60fps....all while gaming at Ultra. (I can't game at ultra above 60 fps normally)

1) I could get the 27" BenQ Z display and enable strobing. I hear I can do strobing at 60 hz. If I smooth vsync my display at 60 fps and do 60hz refresh rates, with strobing at 60 hz, this would in theory reduce motion blur, tearing, and stuttering....all at 60 fps with Ultra settings. So this solves my problem? Strobing hurts image quality and brightness I hear, which I don't like.

How well does strobing work on the BenQ Z monitor at 60fps/hz? If the image quality is okay and the LED isn't too dim, I might go with this option.

2) Alternatively, what if a display had G-sync to eliminate the tearing and stuttering at variable rates....AND this display had motion blur reduction via insertion of an interpolated frame in between real frames?....this is how many TVs reduce motion blur. This could do an okay job at reducing motion blur and u get the benefits of G-sync. The main downside is that insertion of the interpolated frame could create a slight lag (which occurs when I game on my Samsung tv). This lag isn't that bad though for the most part.

Are there any high quality monitors that do motion blur reduction like this through artificially high refresh rates?

Or, instead of relying on the display to reduce motion blur, the graphics card could output variable frame rates between 30 and 60fps but then insert the interpolated frame in between using a quick method that doesn't tax the GPU....and display this all on a fast 120hz monitor that has gsync enabled. This would eliminate the input lag but reduce real frame rates since the GPU is taxed more. This is possible?

3) I actually sometimes game on my TV which is "240 hz". It uses the frame insertion technique to reduce blur. With smooth vsync enabled it has no tearing, stuttering, and low motion blur. But, TVs aren't meant for gaming, thus there is the slight input lag issue and other issues due to the fact that the tv isn't meant for gaming. But, the image quality, color, and brightness are far far better than with a computer display (that is non IPS). So far I think I'm just going to stay with this solution....until something better comes along.

It appears that the artificially high refresh rate doesn't reduce motion blur as well as strobing....but may do an adequate job at 60fps.

4) If they can figure out how to do both gsync and strobing at the same time at 60fps/hz....but I'm not sure what would happen to image quality and brightness. Is strobing effective at 60fps/hz?

chatterbot

Re: Theory, how to do G-Sync with reduced blur

Post by chatterbot » 18 Apr 2014, 08:18

Just read that gsync doesn't work well with SLI....I'm assuming this issue will be solved eventually. So, it looks like I should go with option(1) or (3) for now. But, I'll do research on if strobing works at 60 fps/hz.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Apr 2014, 09:55

The problem with G-Sync and strobing isn't only low refresh rates. It's also the timing needed to adjust strobing frequency on the fly. They haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Also note that interpolation would increase input lag quite dramatically. The technique works by computing an in-between frame. That means you need at least two frames to work with, so at least one frame is going to get buffered. In low refresh rate situations, the lag will get worse. So if they solve the timing problem, then the solution for this would be to double the framerate instead and display each frame twice rather than doing frame interpolation.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Apr 2014, 15:29

Having all three simultaneously:
- Stutter free
- Tearing free
- Blur free
Equals you must use VSYNC ON + strobing.

Yes, it means more lag, but that's the compromise you get, if you want the perfect motion effect (stutter/tearing/blurfree) at this moment.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

chatterbot

Post by chatterbot » 18 Apr 2014, 17:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Having all three simultaneously:
- Stutter free
- Tearing free
- Blur free
Equals you must use VSYNC ON + strobing.

Yes, it means more lag, but that's the compromise you get, if you want the perfect motion effect (stutter/tearing/blurfree) at this moment.
So the 27" BenQ Z display strobing is effective at 60fps/hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Apr 2014, 18:21

chatterbot wrote:So the 27" BenQ Z display strobing is effective at 60fps/hz.
Yes; or 75fps@75Hz, or 85fps@85Hz.
You will want to increase your GPU horsepower so you can do blurfree/stutterfree/tearfree motion with less flicker of strobe-backlight-based motion blur elimination.

Or if you play consoles, you can do 60fps@60Hz as the Z-series "LightBoost" equivalent works with consoles too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Apr 2014, 18:22

chatterbot wrote:So the 27" BenQ Z display strobing is effective at 60fps/hz.
What do you mean with "effective?"

It will work, but the picture will be a flickerfest. Looking at a 60Hz flicker for 10 minutes makes the whole world continue to flicker even when you walk away from the monitor.

If you watched lots of TV on old 50Hz or 60Hz CRT TVs close up, then you know what's coming.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Haste

Post by Haste » 20 Apr 2014, 15:16

Some things to consider:

- 60fps@60Hz is only the minimal frequency players have started to regard as being smooth. But for some people (me included), it's not enough. And a much higher feeling of smoothness and fluidity will be obtained by going to higher refresh rates such as 120fps@120Hz

- 60Hz strobbed is a flicker fest. Don't ruin your eyes with that.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Apr 2014, 17:23

Haste wrote:60Hz strobbed is a flicker fest. Don't ruin your eyes with that.
It certainly is, but no worse than a low-persistence Panasonic VT50 plasma display in a well-lit television room. People who are used to staring at plasma, and don't mind sitting a little faster, won't mind the BENQ XL2720Z as a micro-plasma kitchen display for console/TV/gaming use, when the persistence is adjusted towards slightly less visible flicker. And you've sit 3-4 feet away from the BENQ XL2720Z while watching hockey or football with BENQ Blur Reduction enabled...

That said, at computer monitor distances, it's a bit painful. But I had more eye discomfort with the plasma!

MORAL OF THE STORY: "it depends on the environmental factors"...