IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Uli

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by Uli » 22 Jun 2020, 07:08

Unboxed it and hooked it up, oddly I didn't really see anything happening with the Lagom Inversion test (Had both the page 50% and 75% of screenwidth with dark grey and even a mid grey colour). Went back to the image I posted earlier and the Inversion was instantly there.

With the Lagom it was never anything standing out that with my example image, sometimes it felt the grey background would flicker a bit when I swapped from 4b to 5 but don't think I saw any leakage when moving the page around the background.

ItwasLuck

Post by ItwasLuck » 22 Jun 2020, 17:13

filipeazev wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 09:39
ItwasLuck wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 14:15
The Acer Predator XB3 line of monitors have pretty good Q/C. So far I've heard of 5 people who had great experience with their monitor. Not a single case yet of anyone having issues.
Unfortunately, I have an issue with my 253Q GX. When I'm on Reddit (dark theme) or any site with a predominantly dark background, vertical lines and ghost(persistent) images appear. It sucks because other than that I'm really enjoying this monitor.

Image its
That is odd, I would get a replacement for sure. I have no such issues at all. In fact I just did my second calibration for the monitor and I am getting these results!
2ndcalibration1hr (2).png
2ndcalibration1hr (2).png (76.31 KiB) Viewed 7278 times

ItwasLuck

Post by ItwasLuck » 22 Jun 2020, 18:19

Uli wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 13:23
filipeazev wrote:
Unfortunately, I have an issue with my 253Q GX. When I'm on Reddit (dark theme) or any site with a predominantly dark background, vertical lines and ghost(persistent) images appear. It sucks because other than that I'm really enjoying this monitor.
I gotten 3x 240hz IPS monitors, 2x Acer XB253GQX's and the Alienware AW2521HF. All 3 had this issue, the Alienware I had to get a different image up to cause it to happen vs the Acer Predator.

I think all the 240hz IPS Monitors have the issue, I can't imagine being so unlucky to get it with 3 of them. Also all 3 have an annoying issue with pixel inversion on a static image which essentially takes up the entire row.

Weirdness thing about the monitor though is you can change between full/limited range in nvidia control panel and it won't change colourwise but that issue you got on reddit dark theme it will probably stop the image retention, or changing the dark boost option in the OSD will stop that issue just for that site and will change what website with the right dark/lights you need to trigger.

Static Pixel Inversion will trigger on this image

Will extended the "/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\" both left and right and even over the OSD. Can faintly see it in this picture.

But all in all the image retention issue is what kills it for me, I'm super worried the 360hz IPS monitors coming later will have the same issue and I think they could firmware update to fix the image retention but doubt it will be a solution we could do at home.
You must be very unlucky. I highly recommend trying to get another XB253Q GX. Mine covers 83% of DCI-P3 and it has the lowest input lag of any monitor ATM. I've never played this good before. I am simply stunned by how good this monitor is.

I came from a Samsung VA 144HZ monitor and am primarily using the Acer with VRB @120HZ, despite the lower refresh rate this monitor feels WAY more snappy. And lets not get started on the motion clarity, with VRB on @120HZ, I honestly feel this has the best MBR out of all the other Fast IPS monitors.

The only exception is the ASUS VG259QM, if you are primarily gaming at 200HZ+, I would recommend that monitor over this.

Bend3r

Post by Bend3r » 22 Jun 2020, 21:33

filipeazev wrote:
ItwasLuck wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 14:15
The Acer Predator XB3 line of monitors have pretty good Q/C. So far I've heard of 5 people who had great experience with their monitor. Not a single case yet of anyone having issues.

Image its
Hey, I also got this same problem and looked on internet for some info about it. Tried also some feedback from Acer support and they suggested to install the latest driver for the monitor, after i did it that issue didn't appear again. My workarround when this happen is change the HDR settings in windows/monitor, after a few changes, the screen back to normal. If you still with the monitor i suggest you do the same. And for sure, if the problem came back even if the driver install I'll notice here :)

V1.0 Driver Download
source

Uli

Post by Uli » 23 Jun 2020, 11:34

Bend3r wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 21:33
Hey, I also got this same problem and looked on internet for some info about it. Tried also some feedback from Acer support and they suggested to install the latest driver for the monitor, after i did it that issue didn't appear again. My workarround when this happen is change the HDR settings in windows/monitor, after a few changes, the screen back to normal. If you still with the monitor i suggest you do the same. And for sure, if the problem came back even if the driver install I'll notice here :)

V1.0 Driver Download
source
Driver didn't fix the issue for me but using their colour profile provided with the driver however did stop the issue from happening because it tweaks the colours a tiny bit so the colour pattern that caused the issue was no longer there.

So I still feel its possible to run into the issue unless their colour profile completely nukes whatever specific colour that causes the issue.

It is such a good monitor but its so sad the panel has this issue, I can't really work past it

Bend3r

Post by Bend3r » 23 Jun 2020, 19:04

Uli wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 11:34
Bend3r wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 21:33

V1.0 Driver Download
source
Driver didn't fix the issue for me but using their colour profile provided with the driver however did stop the issue from happening because it tweaks the colours a tiny bit so the colour pattern that caused the issue was no longer there.

So I still feel its possible to run into the issue unless their colour profile completely nukes whatever specific colour that causes the issue.

It is such a good monitor but its so sad the panel has this issue, I can't really work past it
Now a good point, I also installed and set up the Profile Color for XB253Q at the same time I installed the driver, maybe I test latter if I use only the driver with another color profile I have some screen problem, but for now everything is going well :)

Really liked the monitor btw! - but I agree, it's not cool pay for a product and you need to work around it by yourself to use. If it's necessary, at least they must provide a better manual for they product.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 24 Jun 2020, 12:59

My XB253Q GX has no such image retention issues. AT ALL. The monitor has been perfect actually. I have no complaints. There must be something else that is causing this issue in both cases, what video card are the people using that have this issue?

Uli

Post by Uli » 24 Jun 2020, 13:07

STOPchris wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 12:59
My XB253Q GX has no such image retention issues. AT ALL. The monitor has been perfect actually. I have no complaints. There must be something else that is causing this issue in both cases, what video card are the people using that have this issue?
Like I said before I've been through 2x XB253QGX's and 1x Alienware AW2521HF and had the issue on both but needed different imagery to cause it.

They were tested on 2 different PCs, one win7 with a GTX 1080 and the other was Win10 with a GTX 1660ti. I can guarantee its not an issue with the GPU because if I swapped inputs from display port from one PC to the hdmi which is hooked up to the other the image retention stays.

Furthermore I managed to replicate the issue on both HDMI and Displayport. There is a chance you will randomly get the issue in the future, just all about finding the right imagery unless it truly is a x% of panels have the issue and I've been unlucky (Or that x% is high ish)

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 24 Jun 2020, 13:21

Uli wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 13:07
STOPchris wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 12:59
Like I said before I've been through 2x XB253QGX's and 1x Alienware AW2521HF and had the issue on both but needed different imagery to cause it.

They were tested on 2 different PCs, one win7 with a GTX 1080 and the other was Win10 with a GTX 1660ti. I can guarantee its not an issue with the GPU because if I swapped inputs from display port from one PC to the hdmi which is hooked up to the other the image retention stays.

Furthermore I managed to replicate the issue on both HDMI and Displayport. There is a chance you will randomly get the issue in the future, just all about finding the right imagery unless it truly is a x% of panels have the issue and I've been unlucky (Or that x% is high ish)
Do you have Gsync turned on? How about "adaptive sync" in the monitor's OSD? I believe my issue here was because of Gsync: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6192&p=49523#p49523

It was flickering on both my PG258Q and my new XB253Q GX. It hasn't flickered since I completely turned off Adaptive Sync in the monitor's OSD.

Uli

Post by Uli » 24 Jun 2020, 13:51

STOPchris wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 13:21
Do you have Gsync turned on? How about "adaptive sync" in the monitor's OSD? I believe my issue here was because of Gsync: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6192&p=49523#p49523

It was flickering on both my PG258Q and my new XB253Q GX. It hasn't flickered since I completely turned off Adaptive Sync in the monitor's OSD.
Windows 7 doesn't have freesync support, Win10 I tried it both on and off.

In all honesty, the problem with the monitor is somewhat similar to the Acer Predator X35 and PG35VQ which ended up getting fixed via a firmware update and those issues would occur due to certain colour patterns. From what I mostly gather from others who have the issue it seems to be "dark mode" websites.

When this specific issue happens there are vertical interlaces lines going across the entire monitor and the longer you leave the imagery up the harder it ends up "sticking", thats why in the other persons picture its all interlaced. Its a super weird issue and more people are mentioning it as they get their hands on these 240hz IPS monitors so hard to say when info will actually come out about a true fix or if it is x% are defected.