Desktop window manager's affect on input latency

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
RamenRider

Re: Desktop window manager's affect on input latency

Post by RamenRider » 29 Jun 2020, 17:30

MT_ wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 15:36
Haha fr33thy. Yeah that guy looks alright but I doubt he has much clue onto what most of his tweaks do and what side effects they can give.
Yeah he has a lot of good information mixed in with misinformation LOL. I tried his HPET guide before, and it's confusing as shit. He didn't even organize his info correctly or lay out the right steps, even posted wrong info he later had to correct. Messing with timers messes up game engines and wildly breaks hit registration. Other than his imprecise info, he seems pretty chill.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mic ... st28358776

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 29 Jun 2020, 22:41

who play competitively in windowed mode? ) when game is in fullscreen mode there is no additional latency from dwm.

deama

Post by deama » 30 Jun 2020, 07:07

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 22:41
who play competitively in windowed mode? ) when game is in fullscreen mode there is no additional latency from dwm.
exclusive fullscreen for some reason doesn't really work for me. Whenever I enable it, the game just starts stuttering like crazy, or giving me 3 tear lines at the same time, even though disabling dwm straight up makes it nice and smooth without tearlines.
I am on windows 8.1, but I keep occasionally hearing people having problems on windows 10 as well.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 Jun 2020, 14:23

deama wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 07:07
exclusive fullscreen for some reason doesn't really work for me. Whenever I enable it, the game just starts stuttering like crazy, or giving me 3 tear lines at the same time, even though disabling dwm straight up makes it nice and smooth without tearlines.
I am on windows 8.1, but I keep occasionally hearing people having problems on windows 10 as well.
If you don't see tearing, that means you get vsync from somewhere.

Have you tried fastsync (nvidia) or enhanced sync (amd) in exclusive fullscreen? It gets rid of tearing by running the game uncapped and using only the latest frame, like DWM does, but without the DWM lag.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

deama

Post by deama » 30 Jun 2020, 15:26

RealNC wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 14:23
deama wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 07:07
If you don't see tearing, that means you get vsync from somewhere.

Have you tried fastsync (nvidia) or enhanced sync (amd) in exclusive fullscreen? It gets rid of tearing by running the game uncapped and using only the latest frame, like DWM does, but without the DWM lag.
Ah yes, I just retested and made sure vsync was disabled, looks like last time I had it on by accident.