Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jul 2020, 13:37

Immelman wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 13:11
I need a help here please... The Elite Display Controller don't start, and it dissapear. I try on 3 differents PCs and with differents HDMI and DP cables... I can't update the firmware with this issue :/
Can you specify the GPUs that you used? I’ll relay this report to ViewSonic.
Also, you should open a ViewSonic tech support ticket too (and mention ticket #)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Immelman

Post by Immelman » 05 Jul 2020, 14:37

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 13:37
Immelman wrote:
I need a help here please... The Elite Display Controller don't start, and it dissapear. I try on 3 differents PCs and with differents HDMI and DP cables... I can't update the firmware with this issue :/
Also, you should open a ViewSonic tech support ticket too (and mention ticket #)
I tried on 3 differents PCs anyone with different hw: 1080ti, 1070 and 1660. Cables: 2 HDMI and 3 DPs. I installed the Display Controller app on each one for the first time.

I will open a ticket and I'll give you the #

Thanks

Immelman

Post by Immelman » 05 Jul 2020, 18:48

This is the Ticket # 79481

GhostCow

Post by GhostCow » 06 Jul 2020, 21:44

I just bought this monitor today and am waiting for Amazon to ship it. After I'd already bought it I saw in a review that you can't use PureXP and gsync at the same time. That's a big bummer. Is it possible this could be fixed with a firmware update? If not, why can't both be used at the same time? Also, would I be better off using PureXP or gsync?

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 07 Jul 2020, 08:09

Immelman wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:48
This is the Ticket # 79481
If you use CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) when you edit something, especially the EDID name, EDID is virtualy modified and this is what OS, GPU driver and software read, and maybe Viewsonic software can't detect monitor correctly if some EDID setting is modified, and automaticaly close because none Viewsonic product is detected. Try save the CRU profile, and restore to default.

You have connected USB from PC to monitor ? speed ? and type of connectors ?

Ansive

Post by Ansive » 07 Jul 2020, 08:22

GhostCow wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 21:44
I just bought this monitor today and am waiting for Amazon to ship it. After I'd already bought it I saw in a review that you can't use PureXP and gsync at the same time. That's a big bummer. Is it possible this could be fixed with a firmware update? If not, why can't both be used at the same time? Also, would I be better off using PureXP or gsync?
Warning - Amateur level knowledge

Gsync updates the refresh when the frame is ready. Within a wide margin. This makes the action look smooth, since you don't get any double frames or tearing.
Strobbing is done with a fixed refresh rate in order to hide sample and hold motion blur. It does this by emulating a CRT where a picture was only shown on screen for a very short amount of time (a few ms), leaving the screen dark for the remainder of the refresh cycle. Basically you only see each frame for a short moment, your brain is free to track and interpolate any movement that's happening on the screen. But in sample and hold, the same frame is shown on the screen for the entire refresh period, and then a new frame appears and it is also displayed for the entire cycle. This is jarring and makes it harder for your eyes to track movement, generating blur.

LCDs also have the disadvantage of pixel transition artifacts which also contribute to blurring (it takes potentially many ms for a pixel to fully transition from one color to a different one). Strobbing can hide some of this pixel transition in the off stage of the refresh cycle. But this is not perfect. The longer the off stage the easier it is to hide the artifacts, which is why strobbing at 100hz looks much better than 240hz.

In theory gsync and strobbing can be combined, and some monitor brands have implemented it, but the results have been lacking (lack of proper tuning or hardware capability).
I don't know how it would look, but you would have variable flickering, bad at low fps. You would also have more pixel transition artifacts as the framerate rises (halos, color inversion due to overdrive).
As the tech gets better I think it will become a more common feature.

For now the best we can do is use gsync for demanding games where the framerate fluctuates, and strobbing for games that can hold a high stable refresh rate (and even there the lowered brightness and flickering is only worth it for some games with lots of smooth movement).

rrisk93

Post by rrisk93 » 08 Jul 2020, 04:55

Is there any chance i can get 1440p gaming monitor with blur busters approved in this year??

brownvim

Post by brownvim » 08 Jul 2020, 08:51

In the recent Digital Foundry video they reviewed a Viewsonic monitor that was 1440p and mentioned it had PureXP.

I'm not sure if its the same as this monitor though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM9v6klj_7E&t=0s

rrisk93

Post by rrisk93 » 08 Jul 2020, 17:02

brownvim wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 08:51
In the recent Digital Foundry video they reviewed a Viewsonic monitor that was 1440p and mentioned it had PureXP.

I'm not sure if its the same as this monitor though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM9v6klj_7E&t=0s
Oh, this monitor have curved VA panel launched at 2020/5/20. It looks great, but is it's motion good as xg270? I wonder Chief's opinion...

Mroverst

Post by Mroverst » 08 Jul 2020, 23:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 13:37
Immelman wrote:

Chief!

Im having the same issue. EDC was working fine until I updated to the latest version. I've reinstalled several times along with the accompanying codec.

Any clues as to why this might be happening?