Does Nvidia FREESTYLE add input lag if it doesn't drop my FPS? EDIT: yes it does

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
nexina7350

Does Nvidia FREESTYLE add input lag if it doesn't drop my FPS? EDIT: yes it does

Post by nexina7350 » 03 Jul 2020, 20:39

Does anyone know if Nvidia Freestyle (the filters you can add in-game) add any input lag, assuming my FPS remain constant? Does anyone have a technical article, or quantitative data? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I messed up the first title, wrote freesync instead of freestyle.
Last edited by nexina7350 on 07 Jul 2020, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

Dirty Scrubz

Re: Does Nvidia FREESTYLE add input lag if it doesn't drop my FPS?

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 04 Jul 2020, 01:06

If it doesn’t affect your FPS then no. I use it for warzone with no issues.

nexina7350

Post by nexina7350 » 04 Jul 2020, 09:48

Hey, thanks for the answer! However, input lag does not merely depend on FPS. For example, I could create a filter that executes very very fast, but requires a few frames to do whatever I want. Push it to the extreme, and consider that my filter requires 1 second worth of frames. It wouldn't affect your FPS, but you would feel a huge delay when gaming.

FPS is a variable in the input delay equation, but doesn't tell the whole story. That's why I was looking for a technical article, or measurement data. For example, it's possible that the filters require the frame to exist already, to then apply post processing on it. This would cause, in the best case scenario, 1 frame of input lag.

As for my subjective opinion, I'm playing Valorant found some simple filters that greatly enhance enemy visibility which translates to faster reaction times when spotting an enemy. However, something feels off when I play with these filters, and I do much better without them on. This might be a placebo effect however, which is why I created this thread :D

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 04 Jul 2020, 18:35

That’s not how post processing works. You either get an FPS impact and minor input lag increase or not.

nexina7350

Post by nexina7350 » 07 Jul 2020, 09:12

If anyone is curious, I tested it at my friend's house since he has 2 identical fast TN monitor (xl2540) and the nvidia freestyle filters do add input lag even if it does not cause FPS drops. This explains why my aim felt weird with filters on.

theangryregulator

Re: Does Nvidia FREESTYLE add input lag if it doesn't drop my FPS? EDIT: yes it does

Post by theangryregulator » 07 Jul 2020, 09:36

I was using the sharpen filter for a short while with Apex but it seemed to affect my performance negatively :( .

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 07 Jul 2020, 17:55

nexina7350 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 09:12
If anyone is curious, I tested it at my friend's house since he has 2 identical fast TN monitor (xl2540) and the nvidia freestyle filters do add input lag even if it does not cause FPS drops. This explains why my aim felt weird with filters on.
I highly doubt this. There’s no technical reason it would unless you lost significant FPS or piled on every single filter there is.

ptuga

Re: Does Nvidia FREESTYLE add input lag if it doesn't drop my FPS? EDIT: yes it does

Post by ptuga » 07 Jul 2020, 18:32

theangryregulator wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 09:36
I was using the sharpen filter for a short while with Apex but it seemed to affect my performance negatively :( .
Yes, I feel the same, it's not a huge difference but I can definitely feel the mouse feeling less sharp with filters on while fps remains locked at 144fps.

Also, a bit off topic, but I've also tried the new hardware scheduler and my aim is much less consistent in Apex legends(can't wingman) with it on. On kovaaks it's the opposite, a hair snappier and same consistency. Best to leave I off I guess...

nexina7350

Post by nexina7350 » 07 Jul 2020, 18:58

Dirty Scrubz wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 17:55
nexina7350 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 09:12
I highly doubt this. There’s no technical reason it would unless you lost significant FPS or piled on every single filter there is.
We tested with simple filters such as sharpening only, and even the brightness/contrast filter only. According to our tests the amount of input lag does not depend on the quantity nor complexity of filters (as long as FPS don't drop). Still, there was a constant input lag caused by nvidia filters. I believe the other comments in this thread also corroborate this.

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 07 Jul 2020, 21:14

Tested with what tools and methods? It’s easy to claim you tested something without empirical evidence.