Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jul 2020, 16:28

Mroverst wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 23:34
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 13:37
Immelman wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 13:11
I need a help here please... The Elite Display Controller don't start, and it dissapear. I try on 3 differents PCs and with differents HDMI and DP cables... I can't update the firmware with this issue :/
Can you specify the GPUs that you used? I’ll relay this report to ViewSonic.
Also, you should open a ViewSonic tech support ticket too (and mention ticket #)

Chief!

Im having the same issue. EDC was working fine until I updated to the latest version. I've reinstalled several times along with the accompanying codec.

Any clues as to why this might be happening?
Can you open a ticket with ViewSonic too? I'll relay that one along as well.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Smo

Post by Smo » 12 Jul 2020, 17:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 16:28
Mroverst wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 23:34
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 13:37
Immelman wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 13:11
I need a help here please... The Elite Display Controller don't start, and it dissapear. I try on 3 differents PCs and with differents HDMI and DP cables... I can't update the firmware with this issue :/
Can you specify the GPUs that you used? I’ll relay this report to ViewSonic.
Also, you should open a ViewSonic tech support ticket too (and mention ticket #)

Chief!

Im having the same issue. EDC was working fine until I updated to the latest version. I've reinstalled several times along with the accompanying codec.

Any clues as to why this might be happening?
Can you open a ticket with ViewSonic too? I'll relay that one along as well.
Add me to the list, firmware updated just now and EDC won't start for me :(

vonkar

Post by vonkar » 14 Jul 2020, 12:19

same for me... 540 € for this screen, ....

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jul 2020, 14:21

Hello,

I am expediting feedback to ViewSonic -- they are aware of the issue with the latest version of Elite Display Controller.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Reihn

Post by Reihn » 15 Jul 2020, 07:48

Viewsonic seems to have way to many quality control issues i got my xg270 7 days know and every day i get a new dead pixel and so far viewsonic doesnt want to replace it. Sadly i didnt buy it from Amazon but still i payed 530euro(europe) i was at least expecting decent support. Super disappointed with Viewsonic and sad on the other hand cause i really like Chief tunning on the monitor sadly i cant recommend this company to anyone

donnie

Post by donnie » 20 Jul 2020, 14:58

Reihn wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 07:48
Viewsonic seems to have way to many quality control issues i got my xg270 7 days know and every day i get a new dead pixel and so far viewsonic doesnt want to replace it. Sadly i didnt buy it from Amazon but still i payed 530euro(europe) i was at least expecting decent support. Super disappointed with Viewsonic and sad on the other hand cause i really like Chief tunning on the monitor sadly i cant recommend this company to anyone
Every day your getting new dead pixel? Are you exaggarating or very bad panel lottery, I have zero dead pixels, and have had this monitor for a while now..unlucky dude

Other then few weird quirks that could be polished out, yeah I agree they have some quality issues and bugs here and there, but the monitor is very solid and been working without any issues so far.

Reihn

Post by Reihn » 21 Jul 2020, 05:02

Yea first day second day 0 dead pixels then 1 pixel in the middle of the screen and up went dead in white and green. Next day after that 1 dead pixel in black next day another black dead pixel almost next to the previous one then i got a blue dead pixel. After that i contact the official retailer in my country that i bought it from and they said sorry viewsonic will not change the monitor after that i mail viewsonic in my country and the first reply (i send them pics) was we send courier to get the monitor back next day. Courier took the monitor thursday (16 of the month) i mail viewsonic to ask for an update yesterday and they said they wait for approval to replace the monitor from the manufacturer. I will give a final update to the story when i will get the monitor back cause atm seems that the retailer was the problem and not viewsonic and i dont like to misinform.

GhostCow

Post by GhostCow » 23 Jul 2020, 18:04

So now that I've had this monitor for almost two weeks I'm going to have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed. I've never had buyer's remorse so bad after buying a product until now. First off, I ended up with a deal pixel within a week of owning this monitor. At that point I had already thrown away all the boxes so I can't return it to Amazon.I emailed Viewsonic support and hoping that they'll send me a replacement and let me send this one back with the box that the replacement comes in, but they said I have to have at least three dead pixels for them to consider it an issue. This is extremely lame.

I had read here that the recommended way to run this monitor was 120hz with strobing. This did not turn out as well as I had hoped it would. There are various levels of strobing that you can set the monitor to, but I see crosstalk with anything but the "extreme" setting and at extreme the backlighting is so dark that no one would want to use this mode. This monitor also has some pretty extreme backlight bleed in the lower righthand corner. The QC at Viewsonic seems to be crap for such an expensive monitor.

I really wish I had spent $100 less and just bought a 4k monitor instead. Lesson learned. I'll never bother with Viewsonic again.

Polytech

Post by Polytech » 25 Jul 2020, 15:42

Hi everyone. Long timer lurker... Just registered because i bought Viewsonic XG270 today. The choice wasn't easy, was reading this forum alot and here i am. So, first impressions.

Elite Display Controller - dl from the Viewsonic site, install.. What? K-Lite Code pack? I already have that, why it's attached to the EDC? Canceling K-Lite codec installation. Launch... Error... api-ms-win-shcore-scaling-l1-1-1.dll missing. WTF is that library? Maybe K-Lite codec pack needed or when i cancelled K-Lite codec pack the installation of EDC didnt finish correctly? Installing again, with codec pack now... Error...Checking google, blabla this dll needs to be in the same directory with the exe file. OK, np, dl it, put it in EDC exe folder. Now it works, though every second time when i launch it, EDC sitting in my task panel, but doesnt show up on the screen. At least every other time it works. Checking options. There is no PureXP levels, so an old version obviously and it's also showed me that update is available. Ok, update, launch. There's PureXP levels now hurray... And update available again. Ok, update, launch... doesnt work. Uninstall, reinstall from the first installer which is an older version. Install, launch, doesnt work. At least it changed the firmware on the monitor, because even though EDC is not working, i now have the PureXP levels in the monitor menu. But really, Viewsonic doesnt test the software before they actually launch it? Thats weird for me. Yes i read here that someone had problems with EDC, but older version also doesnt work now (i guess because the firmware is newer now) And the problem is there for at least 10 days now. Not the first priority to fix that eh?

Now impressions about the display. I was switching from the old Benq XL2410T monitor which is 120hz TN. So my main concerns were:
1. Is 240Hz IPS screen good enough compared to 120Hz TN screen to justify the price for it?
2. What mode i will actually use on the new monitor - 240hz or 119hz strobed or 224hz strobed or something in between - for gaming, surfing etc with best blur reduction. Everyone's eyes are different, so what's best for me?
3. Is backlight strobing good enough to not strain the eyes on 100-119-144-224hz or whatever mode is better for blur reduction.

Best blur reduction mode for me is 119hz with PureXP on Extreme setting. With 119hz strobed i can really track the moving window with text and actually read it in the same time. NO other mode allows that, i tried 240 unstrobed, 224 strobed and so on, 120hz strobed doesnt work as well, its even worse than 240hz unstrobed. I think i can safely extrapolate this assumption for other 240hz IPS and 240hz TN panels. So the best mode to use this monitor for surfing, working with text and so on for me is 119hz with PureXP on. Though its not nearly as good as the CRT 120Hz, even though i didnt see one for a LONG time, but still. I think there's noticeable difference. I see small ghosting trail behind a moving window on 119hz strobed . Also i dont notice strobing on 119hz on XG270. Even though my eyes are pretty sensitive. I recall seeing strobing on CRT with 85hz and below, at 100hz i was pretty comfortable and on any frequency above 100 i couldnt really notice it anymore.

The best mode for gaming im not really sure. Havent tried much, though the games i play atm dont run 240fps capped on my computer, so most likely it will be around 119 strobed. Thats the main reason i bought this monitor. My games dont run 240fps capped, so i knew i would use g-sync or some custom mode which this monitor is best for.
So, 119 strobed with PureXP on Extreme setting. Its a bit too bright for me. Ultra is too dim. I would like something in between, but the brightness setting is not available with PureXP turned on. So i have to lower the overall brightness with contrast or gamma. Unless there's option to tweak the amount of backlight strobe window further. What is better to correct the brightness with - gamma or contrast?

Also i noticed when i switch between unstrobed and strobed extreme (which in my case are the closest in overall brightness), the color temperature changes quite a bit. Its very noticeable, especially on white color. Strobed is warm, unstrobed is cold. Why is that? I thought strobing shouldnt act like that at all.

Another interesting thing i noticed when turning PureXP on (extreme) is i now see a trail INFRONT of the moving window. Yes, a ghosting trail INFRONT of it. Its pretty noticeable if you move the window with average speed. If you move it too fast you cant track it, if you move it too slow it doesnt show up. But somewhere in between the trail becomes visible (white window on the black background) and grows with speed further. I dont know why is that. To my understanding strobing only limiting the time frame when we see backlight. But this effect is definitely not present on unstrobed mode.

About my first concern - i still not decided yet. The switch from 120hz to 240hz alone definitely not worth it (not for my pocket anyway). Its pretty minor upgrade. Yes 240hz is better, but the motion is still blurry on 240hz. Not a huge difference. In my case though, switching from TN color to IPS is much more valuable difference than switching from 120hz to 240hz i would say. And this 119 strobed mode is better than the actual 240hz. So yes, thats also another valuable thing. Also i like 27" size more than 24". Easier to read text and notice tiny details on the photo etc.Thats also a plus. There are also some other minor positive things like better stand, mouse cable holder etc, that i wouldnt really count into consideration. I hope that helps to someone who's still chosing the monitor and deciding switch or not to switch.

Turned out to be a really long post. But some of the things i havent seen mentioned before on the forum. So hopefully that helps to someone. Sorry for my broken english.

Polytech

Post by Polytech » 25 Jul 2020, 15:57

GhostCow wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 18:04
but they said I have to have at least three dead pixels for them to consider it an issue.
I read about Viewsonic pixel policy, it has to be 2 or more bright pixels. 4 or more dark pixels or 5 or more combined (for some reason the amount of combined has to be more than dark ones).
GhostCow wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 18:04
I had read here that the recommended way to run this monitor was 120hz with strobing. This did not turn out as well as I had hoped it would.
Try 119hz with PureXP on! 120hz really doesnt give the effect, but 119hz does!
Also make sure you have 32bit colors turned on, otherwise the screen is tearing so bad.

Btw i also noticed one weird thing. When you add a custom resolution in Nvidia CP, then you cant choose some of the standard options through Nvidia CP anymore, 120Hz for example. Only from resolution options from windows control panel.