Awesome a forum! [+Intro of myself, and my LCD work]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Awesome a forum! [+Intro of myself, and my LCD work]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Dec 2013, 12:13

Ahigh wrote:Bad news, is yeah, the 120hz still doesn't work on the 39" Seiki.

Good news is that the cat is entertained with Mark's app.
Very funny. We better hope that cat is declawed!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

shadman

Post by shadman » 30 Dec 2013, 05:37

Ahigh wrote:Bad news, is yeah, the 120hz still doesn't work on the 39" Seiki.

Good news is that the cat is entertained with Mark's app.
My friend was going to buy one soon, what is the situation on those? Does it go to 90Hz at all, or no?

Also, what about the cats claws?!

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 30 Dec 2013, 12:26

I don't think the cat hurt the display with her claws, but I didn't let her do that long. I don't know if the 39" Seiki can handle anything higher than 60hz, but maybe someone else can answer.

edit: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1756171&page=35 -- link says 77hz is max

The Seiki facebook page has plenty of people giving feedback (including me) how they would like 120hz on those 39" displays knowing that it works great on the 50" displays. I am pretty sure that they are aware of the problem by now. I do have a contact at Seiki and I have forwarded them technical information in the past, but I didn't hear anything back from them yet. It's unfortunate that the Seiki engineers are not already on this forum!

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 30 Dec 2013, 18:38

I just sent an e-mail to a Seiki representative inviting them to participate with me, Mark, and Cirthix in helping to push further with what Seiki is doing. It can be very tricky dealing with other cultures in business, and I think this spans the gamut of cultures forming some teamwork between all these people.

If anyone who is paying attention to this effort wants to chime in and encourage Seiki, Mark, me, and Cirthix to improve the low cost gaming displays of the future, make your voice heard. Just getting 120hz mode on the 39" is possibly a first and hopefully simple goal. But I have many goals for working with Seiki to upset the apple cart that is still owned largely by Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, and Sharp!

No matter who is able to ultimately deliver, I sincerely hope it is at the lowest possible cost so that the most people can afford these displays. So I am very hopeful that Seiki responds positively and we are able to get some traction for more features at low costs for increasingly cost effective gaming displays.

shadman

Post by shadman » 31 Dec 2013, 05:11

I can say, I've known a few people that had to contact a certain company in Korea, and it definitely is a large barrier- both language, and time-zone wise. And then how far they want to share their own internal information. So it is tough, and I believe though a little effort, we could get to a good compromise. Seiki is already disrupting the market space, but I believe they could push even harder.

And it isn't even the incredible low price that strikes me the most, but the fact that a company I personally have never heard of is still one of the first to market with what they released with the 4K line of TV's. The prices, honestly, are even lower than they need to be. I know the lower the better, for consumers. But it is nice to get more money for the manufacturer to invest in R&D, or maybe advertising. Of course, this is all complex and depends on many factors, but I'm just hoping the move with the current generation 4K's that are out aren't the only disruptive force we see for awhile.

As a side note, when I get settled in a house sometime in the next while, I will definitely be grabbing myself a 4K TV, hopefully with HDMI 2.0 capabilities.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 31 Dec 2013, 18:17

You know, I don't know a lot of people who have experience with timing controllers and other low-level parts of the electronics of displays. But that may change! These problems are going to get solved if we have to start from scratch in order to do it. But I would hope that we can tackle language and company-secrecy barriers that are impeding progress to get more capable displays to end users. The voices of those who want these displays should make their voices heard here. If the demand for these displays is heard as more people understand the root causes after folks like Mark explain them very clearly to people, things could get better.

The manufacturers, right now, I feel that they are taking a position that the gamers that want displays that can do this stuff just aren't important enough or won't buy enough displays for it to matter.

ASUS and BenQ and even Sony making some strobing solutions is progress. But truly, we need a much higher percentage of displays with HDMI inputs to have options for better motion portrayal and higher framerates.

shadman

Post by shadman » 31 Dec 2013, 19:45

Ahigh wrote: ASUS and BenQ and even Sony making some strobing solutions is progress. But truly, we need a much higher percentage of displays with HDMI inputs to have options for better motion portrayal and higher framerates.
I think you mean DisplayPort, unless you meant HDMI 2.0? ;)

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 31 Dec 2013, 19:51

shadman wrote:
Ahigh wrote: ASUS and BenQ and even Sony making some strobing solutions is progress. But truly, we need a much higher percentage of displays with HDMI inputs to have options for better motion portrayal and higher framerates.
I think you mean DisplayPort, unless you meant HDMI 2.0? ;)
What I am saying is that the "industry" that provides LCD screens, especially in the domain of 40" and larger, only cares about taking care of the needs of the film industry, and ignores people who are doing video games. So I am identifying the problems as being sets that ONLY have HDMI inputs as being those types of sets that are ignoring the needs of gamers.

There should be more convergence than there is, frankly. Why it is that once you get to a 40" or larger set, it's no longer considered a computer monitor and it's all of a sudden only expected to be hooked up to a blue-ray player or a cable box is the problem that I'm talking about.

And that problem is most prevalent on displays that will accept a 1080p60 signal over HDMI from a computer, but not a 1080p120 signal. A signal that could have been accepted for several years now if the industry cared more than they did about folks who want to drive these displays with computers to play games and not just to watch the TV shows and movies at 120hz for smoother scrolling via frame-insertion.

I find it ridiculous that TV manufacturers have advertized 120Hz on their sets while being unable to accept a 1080p120 signal from a computer. A signal that they could have been taking for years and years except that it's just not priority to accept that signal even though the glass can portray it.

That's what I'm talking about.

shadman

Post by shadman » 01 Jan 2014, 06:07

Yes there we go. Man, I can't remember how many times Ive had problems with connecting various computers to "TV's" via HDMI, only to have it not put out a resolution matching the pixels one to one, otherwise known as over/underscan. Its awful. But even more than that, I know what you mean, and I agree.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 10 Feb 2014, 21:04

And we continue to push push push!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nanotech- ... ntentstory

The sign is just the proposal artwork from YESCO and the photo is from before move-in, but just to give you an image...