GSYNC vs GSYNC-compatible

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Yosharian

GSYNC vs GSYNC-compatible

Post by Yosharian » 15 Jul 2020, 22:55

Hi, so it's getting harder and harder to find actual GSYNC monitors as opposed to GSYNC-compatible ones. My question is, what's the consensus here on Blurbusters regarding GSYNC-compatible vs actual GSYNC? Are GSYNC module-equipped monitors still the best, or is it enough to get a GSYNC-compatible one?

jorimt

Re: GSYNC vs GSYNC-compatible

Post by jorimt » 16 Jul 2020, 07:16

Yosharian wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 22:55
Hi, so it's getting harder and harder to find actual GSYNC monitors as opposed to GSYNC-compatible ones.
True. G-SYNC Compatible is a dime a dozen currently, whereas G-SYNC (at least higher than 1080p G-SYNC) is far and few between for some inexplicable reason recently.

I personally have mained a native G-SYNC XB271HU (IPS) for over four years now, and am looking for a hold over replacement with equivalent specs, and, as of July 2020, there is basically only the XG270QG (which has a worse contrast ratio and doesn't clamp to sRGB; something I need), the PG279Q (which is scarcely available, and where available, is being scalped for ridiculous prices) and the PG279QZ, the refreshed model that has recently all but disappeared.

Good luck if you want anything new (and notably superior to the old) over 1080p.
Yosharian wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 22:55
My question is, what's the consensus here on Blurbusters regarding GSYNC-compatible vs actual GSYNC? Are GSYNC module-equipped monitors still the best, or is it enough to get a GSYNC-compatible one?
"Technically" G-SYNC is still better, and potentially, will "technically" always be better due to it being hardware-based and G-SYNC Compatible being software-based. I, personally, would not own a G-SYNC Compatible monitor over a G-SYNC monitor, at least as my main, and at least where I have choice (though, I do now own a LG CX, which is G-SYNC Compatible, but it's a secondary gaming display primarily for console).

But, massive disclaimer, that's just me. In reality, the gap between the two isn't huge in practice, and said gap is closing.

G-SYNC is now primarily only superior, on average, over G-SYNC Compatible (at least those with full LFC support and official Nvidia verification: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/pr ... ors/specs/) in three respects:

1. Dynamic overdrive. This is implemented on all G-SYNC monitors, whereas it's implemented on only maybe two or three G-SYNC Compatible monitors currently.
2. Monitor processing delay. The G-SYNC module still typically allows lower overall monitor input lag than G-SYNC Compatible, but the difference can be small.
3. VRR stability. The G-SYNC module can still provide tighter VRR performance (less frametime drift from frame to frame) over G-SYNC Compatible driver-side functionality, but this really only translates to an improvement with G-SYNC on + V-SYNC off, where you don't have to cap the FPS as low below the refresh rate to reduce the partial tearing seen with that configuration, but it can depend, and honestly, you should be using G-SYNC + V-SYNC (aka actual, complete G-SYNC functionality, aka auto "VRR" Scanline Sync-style) for both G-SYNC and G-SYNC Compatible if you want to prevent all tearing within the refresh rate anyway.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

ramb0

Post by ramb0 » 21 Jul 2020, 19:43

plus, correct me if i'm wrong, but G-Sync Compatible doesn't have ULMB motion blur... whereas genuine G-Sync displays do?
(however, a G-Sync Compatible display manufacturer may have their own Motion Blur tech, such has ASUS who use their own ELMB anti blur tech).

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 21 Jul 2020, 20:05

ramb0 wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 19:43
plus, correct me if i'm wrong, but G-Sync Compatible doesn't have ULMB motion blur... whereas genuine G-Sync displays do?
(however, a G-Sync Compatible display manufacturer may have their own Motion Blur tech, such has ASUS who use their own ELMB anti blur tech).
Correct, G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync displays do not feature ULMB. But not all native G-SYNC displays do either, which is why I didn't include it as a difference.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

ramb0

Post by ramb0 » 22 Jul 2020, 03:51

jorimt wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 20:05
ramb0 wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 19:43
Correct, G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync displays do not feature ULMB. But not all native G-SYNC displays do either, which is why I didn't include it as a difference.
ahh, i thought ULMB was part of all "G-Sync" and "G-Sync Ultimate" displays.. looking at:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... validated/

However, i see they have an asterisk* next to where it says "Ultra-low Motion Blur" - "On applicable models only".

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 22 Jul 2020, 07:20

ramb0 wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 03:51
However, i see they have an asterisk* next to where it says "Ultra-low Motion Blur" - "On applicable models only".
Yup.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Jul 2020, 09:08

As a rule of thumb, a display tends to need to be roughly ~144Hz+ before NVIDIA is willing to add ULMB to it, due to the flicker issue & the need for refresh rate headroom (below max Hz).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 22 Jul 2020, 09:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 09:08
As a rule of thumb, a display tends to need to be roughly ~144Hz+ before NVIDIA is willing to add ULMB to it, due to the flicker issue & the need for refresh rate headroom (below max Hz).
Ah, indeed, a good clarification to note.