The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Okeydoke

Re: The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Post by Okeydoke » 21 Jul 2020, 22:41

@RLCSContender or anyone else that might know,

When I make the custom 1920x1080 resolution at 240hz in CRU so that it gets designated as "native," I lose the option to select 10 bit color, only 8 bit is available in the dropdown. I reverted back to the stock settings with the non native regular 1920x1080 at 240hz that it came with and the option for 10 bit is back. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Are we left with the choice of slightly less blurry and less input lag at 8 bit, or 10 bit with the extra blur and input lag caused by GPU scaling (because its a non native resolution)?
Thanks for any help. First time poster.

PixelDuck87

Post by PixelDuck87 » 22 Jul 2020, 09:50

Did anyone try vg259qm before going to mag251rx? Which has a better motion clarity at static 240hz?

WayUpGaming

Post by WayUpGaming » 23 Jul 2020, 07:42

PixelDuck87 wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 09:50
Did anyone try vg259qm before going to mag251rx? Which has a better motion clarity at static 240hz?
I've tried both, the MSI better imo

'-'@_

Post by '-'@_ » 23 Jul 2020, 09:36

Okeydoke wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 22:41
@RLCSContender or anyone else that might know,

When I make the custom 1920x1080 resolution at 240hz in CRU so that it gets designated as "native," I lose the option to select 10 bit color, only 8 bit is available in the dropdown. I reverted back to the stock settings with the non native regular 1920x1080 at 240hz that it came with and the option for 10 bit is back. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Are we left with the choice of slightly less blurry and less input lag at 8 bit, or 10 bit with the extra blur and input lag caused by GPU scaling (because its a non native resolution)?
Thanks for any help. First time poster.
I have the same issue.

Okeydoke

Post by Okeydoke » 23 Jul 2020, 22:15

Yeah for now I'm just keeping it on the stock 1920x1080 so I can have 10bit. When you look at the change resolution setting in windows, 1920x1080 is listed as "recommended." In Nvidia control panel the 1920x1080 isn't listed as native of course. I don't know how much either of those matter. Maybe a lot, maybe not. RLCS said it mattered that it wasn't labeled native. I can't say I really notice an input lag or blur difference either way. But I'm far from an expert on this stuff.

But also Hardware Unboxed has their review on youtube of the mag251rx. They didn't mention as far as I remember anything about using CRU to set the custom resolution so you can get Nvidia control panel to label it as native etc etc. And the measurements as far as input lag and their review of the monitor's blurriness and what not were all very good. So for now I'm just keeping it stock until I hear something different.

I've only had the monitor 2 days. Tempted to contact MSI support about it and find out why 1920x1080 isn't listed as native. But I dunno how successful that would be heh.

kzxt

Post by kzxt » 24 Jul 2020, 01:53

How are you getting 10bit? I only get 12bit on native 120hz via HDMI (supplied by the box).
Is there a hack to enable 12bit for 240hz?

@RLCSContender how are you able to adjust the brightness via controlmyapp with motion blur enabled? Mine doesn't change at all and I had to resort via nvidia cp

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 24 Jul 2020, 14:51

Yes, I see the same thing. But its greyed out 8bit greyed out. Its greyed out cause I don't use Nvidia settings. I use "Default Profile". SO I figured that number there is meaningless ? That said, same thing with me as you guys, if I remove the CRU custom setting and go back to normal, and choose un-native PC 1920x1080@240hz the option to change to 10bit is there yes BUT only if I choose Nvidia settings, in which I don't use. I use default and that always makes that color bit thing greyed out.

Anyway, I would like a answer to this too, as what's best and why and what is going on, but for now I switched it back to CRU custom "native" PC setting 1920x1080@240hz and let the color bit greyed out thing be 8bit. Someone please figure this out and let me know.

@kzxt - I believe I remember RLCS saying the only way to do it is via the Nvidia CP settings. And thats what he does. So if need be, do it that way. I personally don't use anti-motion blur, as I can't see what this motion blur is, where is it and when do you see it. And I do not want anyone to point it out to me cause obviously it don't effect me and I am enjoying my gaming as is ! LOL Outta sight, outta mind.

Okeydoke

Post by Okeydoke » 24 Jul 2020, 18:37

@kzxt 10 bit option becomes available in the dropdown menu when you go to nvidia control panel, change resolution, scroll down to 3. Apply the following settings. And select Use Nvidia color settings. If you are on the regular 1920x1080 resolution, not the one you make in CRU, then the 10bit option should be there. If you use an nvidia graphics card of course.

@Joel D yeah it's confusing I'd like it resolved too. When I set it to default instead of use Nvidia color settings, I go into Windows display settings, then advanced display settings and in the window I can see Windows is registering the monitor as 8 bit. When I use Nvidia color settings and select 10 bit, Windows registers it as 10 bit. Not that that's surprising or anything. But yeah.

Again I've only had the monitor for a couple days. I'm not even sure I can tell a difference between 8 bit and 10 bit. Or if the things I do on my computer even use 10 bit for me to see it. I don't know how any of this stuff works. But it'd be nice to know whats the deal with color and the native resolution issues.

RLCS definitely touts in his many posts about the MSI the fact that it is 10bit color. It's one of the factors that he says keeps the monitor as his top rated. But yet if you follow all his advice about using the CRU resolution, then you lose the option for 10 bit. And that may just be the way it is, but I'd like a lil clarity.

All that said though, RLCS doesn't owe us any answers. I'm more worried about knowing why MSI markets this as an E sports monitor, but then doesn't make the 1920x1080 resolution that all esports players would use, the one thats capable of 240hz "native." Why do all the other 240hz IPS monitors not have this issue? Will it be fixed? Is it fixable with a firmware or the monitor software thingy update?

And does it even actually matter that the standard 1920x1080 resolution for the monitor isn't listed as native? Hard to even find a straight answer on that. RLCS said it mattered though.
Last edited by RealNC on 25 Jul 2020, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 24 Jul 2020, 19:32

Hey i retested the msi. I really recommend fast over faster at 240hz. The inverse ghosting on faster maybe feint but it will annoy some ppl.

Fast is still fast at 3.46 g2g
Which means no inverse ghosting coronas with slight ghosting. Od fast is the same as od fast on the aw2521HF. I believe its the best OD for the mag251rx at 240hz. Here is a oursuit test at OD Fast at 240hz
phpBB [video]

kzxt

Post by kzxt » 25 Jul 2020, 05:03

Joel D wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 14:51
Yes, I see the same thing. But its greyed out 8bit greyed out. Its greyed out cause I don't use Nvidia settings. I use "Default Profile". SO I figured that number there is meaningless ? That said, same thing with me as you guys, if I remove the CRU custom setting and go back to normal, and choose un-native PC 1920x1080@240hz the option to change to 10bit is there yes BUT only if I choose Nvidia settings, in which I don't use. I use default and that always makes that color bit thing greyed out.

Anyway, I would like a answer to this too, as what's best and why and what is going on, but for now I switched it back to CRU custom "native" PC setting 1920x1080@240hz and let the color bit greyed out thing be 8bit. Someone please figure this out and let me know.

@kzxt - I believe I remember RLCS saying the only way to do it is via the Nvidia CP settings. And thats what he does. So if need be, do it that way. I personally don't use anti-motion blur, as I can't see what this motion blur is, where is it and when do you see it. And I do not want anyone to point it out to me cause obviously it don't effect me and I am enjoying my gaming as is ! LOL Outta sight, outta mind.
I did some search around, especially RGB vs YCbCr, where 4:2:2 will allow you to go up to 8/10/12 bits. However, it seems like sticking to RGB with full colour output is the way to go for the majority.

AMB is more for specific scenario -- it doesn't really change much for the general use, other than more dimmed brightness. It also depends on the games you're playing I feel. However, those with experience, please do chimp in your thoughts as I'd like to know more as well.