Looking to get a new monitor

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
MST

Looking to get a new monitor

Post by MST » 31 Jul 2020, 20:31

Hello.
I've been interested in motion blur reduction for a few years now.
Last year I wanted to get a strobing monitor but realized that it's a complicated matter epecially when you're on a low budget.
Not just because the monitor is expensive, but because it comes with requirements of fps increase which means you need to upgrade most of your PC.

So for the time being I'm giving up on strobing because I can't get my games consistently at 100 hz (I think that's the lowest refresh that support strobing?). I have though just found out that there is such a thing as software BFI. But I'm not sure if it's something I can really consider. I'm thinking maybe it's possible that I get a 144 hz monitor, and have my game run at 72 fps with BFI which would be easier on my graphics card. Is that possible?

I'm expecting that is not possible so I'll go ahead with my other request:
I'd like some advice in buying a new monitor, without caring about strobing due to performance limitations as mentioned above.
I'd like to get a 27 inch 1080p monitor that supports 75 hz (at least with overclock) , and I'd like to choose the one with the least motion blur. I guess I could buy a 144 hz with freesync but then I'd be paying more needlessly right?

So the main question is: Would there be an actual difference in motion blur between a TN at 1 ms and an IPS 4 ms, and is it worth the lower image quality that TN usually offers compared to IPS?

Otzl

Re: Looking to get a new monitor

Post by Otzl » 01 Aug 2020, 16:50

MST wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 20:31
Hello.
I've been interested in motion blur reduction for a few years now.
Last year I wanted to get a strobing monitor but realized that it's a complicated matter epecially when you're on a low budget.
Not just because the monitor is expensive, but because it comes with requirements of fps increase which means you need to upgrade most of your PC.

So for the time being I'm giving up on strobing because I can't get my games consistently at 100 hz (I think that's the lowest refresh that support strobing?). I have though just found out that there is such a thing as software BFI. But I'm not sure if it's something I can really consider. I'm thinking maybe it's possible that I get a 144 hz monitor, and have my game run at 72 fps with BFI which would be easier on my graphics card. Is that possible?

I'm expecting that is not possible so I'll go ahead with my other request:
I'd like some advice in buying a new monitor, without caring about strobing due to performance limitations as mentioned above.
I'd like to get a 27 inch 1080p monitor that supports 75 hz (at least with overclock) , and I'd like to choose the one with the least motion blur. I guess I could buy a 144 hz with freesync but then I'd be paying more needlessly right?
If you can't hit 100 FPS, don't get a high refresh rate monitor. But if you can get 75 FPS, you could always get the Viewsonic XG270 and use it at 75Hz with PureXP - that's if you can tolerate the flickering of the backlight strobing at a refresh rate this low. That said, the motion clarity is really good on this monitor. I use 100 and 119Hz with PureXP, and it's so much better than 240Hz.
Viewsonic XG270 @ 119Hz (VT 2268) with PureXP "Ultra" | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | AMD Radeon RX 5700XT | Patriot Viper Steel Series 4400Mhz @ 3800Mhz 1:1 FCLK

MST

Re: Looking to get a new monitor

Post by MST » 01 Aug 2020, 18:20

Thank you so much for replying!
I was beginning to think I won't get any answers.
Thanks for you recommendation but unfortunately that monitor is way over my price range :(
My current budget is around 200 euros or 250 dollars.

Do you have any cheaper suggestions?