ELMB-SYNC and Adaptive Sync produces a small buzzing noise

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
tngs

ELMB-SYNC and Adaptive Sync produces a small buzzing noise

Post by tngs » 12 Aug 2020, 17:28

Hello,I dont know if this is the right category but I'll post it here, I just bought an ASUS VG259QM, I noticed that when I enable the ELMB-SYNC and Adaptive Sync (G-SYNC Compatible) both are ON monitor start doing a really small frequency buzzing noise, if you disable one of those options the buzzing noise disappears completely, does anyone know if it's normal and if it can affects the monitor in some way? Right now I'm using it with the ELMB-SYNC disabled just in case

What I've tried:
- Disabling and enabling built-in speakers
- Connecting the monitor to another wall outlet

axaro1

Re: ELMB-SYNC and Adaptive Sync produces a small buzzing noise

Post by axaro1 » 13 Aug 2020, 03:12

What do you mean by "small buzzing noise"? I notice some weird smearing when using Adaptive Sync with ELMB-SYNC, you should stiock to fixed refresh rate strobing at 240/280hz
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

tngs

Post by tngs » 13 Aug 2020, 08:03

axaro1 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 03:12
What do you mean by "small buzzing noise"? I notice some weird smearing when using Adaptive Sync with ELMB-SYNC, you should stiock to fixed refresh rate strobing at 240/280hz
No, its not visual. Its like a low frequency sound, kind of like the white noise that produces some speakers when they got interference but in like a really low frequency almost inaudible, you gotta be really close to hear it.

deathshot3264

Post by deathshot3264 » 29 Aug 2020, 16:12

I experienced the same problem, until I found out that the ELMB technology can only be used at FIXED refresh rates. So yes, you were right, they can’t be both turned on at the same time.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Aug 2020, 21:56

deathshot3264 wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 16:12
I experienced the same problem, until I found out that the ELMB technology can only be used at FIXED refresh rates. So yes, you were right, they can’t be both turned on at the same time.
Actually, on some ASUS models with “ELMB SYNC”, both can now be turned on at the same time. It is model dependant.

There are some caveats though, but there shouldn’t be buzzing sounds, unless you are maybe super-sensitive to coil whine, or if the monitor is defective (if it advertises “ELMB-SYNC” and not just “ELMB”)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!