244hz question

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Aesir

244hz question

Post by Aesir » 16 Aug 2020, 20:08

Hey guys! Hope yall doing well.. I have a question. I enabled 244hz in my refresh rate in the "change resolution" option in Nvidia. I was wondering... Is there any perfomance improvement(gaming) on doing this, If I had 144hz before or less while im not enabling Freesync or Gysnc on my monitor? I cap my games on 144FPS, I usually play Apex Legends with controller.

Thanks in advance

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: 244hz question

Post by RealNC » 17 Aug 2020, 02:37

Higher Hz gives you somewhat faster scanout (meaning less input lag.) Note that this is true even if you enable gsync. If you cap your FPS to 144FPS, if you use 240Hz gsync, you still get 240Hz frame scanout speed even at 144FPS. So you might as well enable gsync.

144Hz scanout speed: 6.94ms
240Hz scanout speed: 4.16ms
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Aesir

Post by Aesir » 17 Aug 2020, 09:17

I dont enable gsync in monitor because people say it generates input lag. I dont know if its worth it. But I do have it enabled on the "change resolution" option in nvidia and I was wondering if that makes it better or not without having gsync on. Should I sync if im playing FPS game? what are the pro and cons? Thank you RealNC

Aesir

Post by Aesir » 17 Aug 2020, 09:18

By the way, Im using Alienwar AW2521HF IPS panel.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 17 Aug 2020, 09:33

Aesir wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 09:17
I dont enable gsync in monitor because people say it generates input lag.
*Sigh,* what "people" say this? Because that's not the case.

For example, a recent correction of mine on this:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3303&p=55758#p55744
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Aesir

Post by Aesir » 17 Aug 2020, 09:37

Yea, like pro players, streamers, etc. Most of them have 244hz monitor but they dont enable gsync and they answer that it generates input lag in FPS games. Im ignorant, Ive been trying to read topics in this forums, but theres alot out of my comprension and theres a language cap, my english is limited :(

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 17 Aug 2020, 09:47

Aesir wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 09:37
Yea, like pro players, streamers, etc. Most of them have 244hz monitor but they dont enable gsync and they answer that it generates input lag in FPS games. Im ignorant, Ive been trying to read topics in this forums, but theres alot out of my comprension and theres a language cap, my english is limited :(
Okay, to make this more simple, if your framerate is within the refresh rate on a 240Hz monitor, the input lag difference between G-SYNC on and G-SYNC off is virtually zero, G-SYNC simply prevents the tearing in that range.

However, if your framerate can be sustained at least 2x above a 240Hz refresh rate, G-SYNC off (aka no sync) will reduce input lag further than otherwise possible via tearing artifacts.

However, that does not mean G-SYNC "adds" input lag. It just doesn't reduce it as much as no sync in key scenarios, as it's forced to display a single complete frame at a time to prevent tearing.

In layman's terms, tearing is ultimately a sync-related input lag "hack" or "cheat code"; your display is only intended to show one complete frame at a time, but no sync defeats that by fitting in multiple partial frame scans (aka tearing) into a single frame delivery window.

If you can't tolerate tearing artifacts, use G-SYNC. If tearing artifacts don't bother you, your framerate can exceed your refresh rate by at least 2x times, and you want the lowest input lag possible (in the context of sync lag), turn G-SYNC (and V-SYNC) off, and uncap your framerate.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Aesir

Post by Aesir » 17 Aug 2020, 09:57

jorimt wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 09:47
Aesir wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 09:37
Okay, to make this more simple, if your framerate is within the refresh rate on a 240Hz monitor, the input lag difference between G-SYNC on and G-SYNC off is virtually zero, G-SYNC simply prevents the tearing in that range.

However, if your framerate can be sustained at least 2x above a 240Hz refresh rate, G-SYNC off (aka no sync) will reduce input lag further than otherwise possible via tearing artifacts.

However, that does not mean G-SYNC "adds" input lag. It just doesn't reduce it as much as no sync in key scenarios, as it's forced to display a single complete frame at a time to prevent tearing.

In layman's terms, tearing is ultimately a sync-related input lag "hack" or "cheat code"; your display is only intended to show one complete frame at a time, but no sync defeats that by fitting in multiple partial frame scans (aka tearing) into a single frame delivery window.

If you can't tolerate tearing artifacts, use G-SYNC. If tearing artifacts don't bother you, your framerate can exceed your refresh rate by at least 2x times, and you want the lowest input lag possible (in the context of sync lag), turn G-SYNC (and V-SYNC) off, and uncap your framerate.

Thank you for your answer. So... If I understanded correctly. I should enable gysync because im running 144 fps cap, It wont add more inputlag vs the disabled gsync option and it will also reduce tearing. Is that right?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 17 Aug 2020, 10:23

Aesir wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 09:57
Thank you for your answer. So... If I understanded correctly. I should enable gysync because im running 144 fps cap, It wont add more inputlag vs the disabled gsync option and it will also reduce tearing. Is that right?
If you're already using a 144 FPS cap at 240Hz, and want to use G-SYNC, use G-SYNC on + V-SYNC (NVCP) on + in-game V-SYNC off + your existing 144 FPS cap. Also, use fullscreen mode (not windowed or borderless) both in the NVCP and in-game for the best game and G-SYNC performance.

G-SYNC on vs. G-SYNC off in that range will eliminate tearing. As for input lag, your literal input lag reduction is the tearing seen with G-SYNC off, so that will be the only difference at that framerate within the refresh rate.

That all said, G-SYNC is just an option. Try both G-SYNC on and G-SYNC off, and make your own decision based on your own tolerances and preferences. If it feels better to you, keep it on, if not, turn it off, simple as that.

Aesir

Post by Aesir » 17 Aug 2020, 10:28

jorimt wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 10:23
Aesir wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 09:57
If you're already using a 144 FPS cap at 240Hz, and want to use G-SYNC, use G-SYNC on + V-SYNC (NVCP) on + in-game V-SYNC off + your existing 144 FPS cap. Also, use fullscreen mode (not windowed or borderless) both in the NVCP and in-game for the best game and G-SYNC performance.

G-SYNC on vs. G-SYNC off in that range will eliminate tearing. As for input lag, your literal input lag reduction is the tearing seen with G-SYNC off, so that will be the only difference at that framerate within the refresh rate.

That all said, G-SYNC is just an option. Try both G-SYNC on and G-SYNC off, and make your own decision based on your own tolerances and preferences. If it feels better to you, keep it on, if not, turn it off, simple as that.
Im sorry, when you say NVCP you mean vsync on in the nvidia panel?