Dear ViewSonic: Please Add 60 Hz Single-Strobe for PureXP on XG270

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Dear ViewSonic: Please Add 60 Hz Single-Strobe for PureXP on XG270

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 May 2020, 18:31

Dave1980 wrote:
22 May 2020, 11:23
Any news on it or is it dead ?
It’s not dead. Just may need to wait until a future model of ViewSonic monitor, they are currently aware of this thread.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nuninho1980

Post by nuninho1980 » 26 May 2020, 05:18

InvisibleMan wrote:
24 May 2020, 18:29
please count me in

if it is such an easy fix as you say i wonder if the firmware upgrade can be hex edited to enable 60 hertz single strobe
Ok but I want so 50Hz in the future firmware for XG270 or in the future model of Viewsonic or in of other brand. ;)
CPU: [email protected]
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4@3600MHz
MB: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
GPU: Zotac RTX 4090 non-OC new! <3 :D
Opt. disc: LG BD-RE writer BH16NS40
HDD: SATA 1TB
SSDs: OCZ RD400 0.5TB+Crucial MX500 2TB
PSU: AEROCOOL 1kW 80+ Gold
Disly: CRT 21" Sony E530 :D

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 12 Jun 2020, 16:08

have anyone tried this 60hz hack with this monitor model? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3501

elexor

Post by elexor » 13 Jun 2020, 01:02

I doubt it would work. Man just been fiddling around with retroarch + bfi with my xl2540 it really shows the potential of what single strobe on 240hz panels could look like. Pretty much zero visible cross-talk. Just some bfi artifacts that appear on tn panels that you don't get with ips apparently.

I use custom 120hz videomode with a VT of 2300

What about display level bfi combined with 120hz strobing? I noticed software based bfi is not super consistent you get random flickers what i assume is miss-timed black frames. hardware-based bfi for a lcd could solve this. or a single strobe mode :)

I really wish this monitor could do either single strobe or double strobe with bfi on a display level. Is inserting blank frames on a monitor level very hard? or is single strobe with quick frame transport the answer we have been waiting for?

AnalogueInterface

Post by AnalogueInterface » 17 Aug 2020, 01:28

This monitor is nearly feature complete. All it needs is a 60Hz strobing mode to make it the ultimate flat-panel display to rival the late-great CRT.

To Viewsonic et al, 60Hz mode will make this monitor even more appealing to gamers and content consumers since many modern video sites support 60fps video, and the lack of motion blur at that refresh rate would make this the ultimate sale to many more customers, including console consumers. Playing PS4 Pro Resident Evil 3 Remake on a CRT makes me wish 60Hz strobing was available on my XG270 since it would be the ultimate way to play.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Aug 2020, 19:12

elexor wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 01:02
What about display level bfi combined with 120hz strobing?
That's kinda silly. Mountain out of a molehill. Simple 60Hz hardware single strobe is only a one-line source code modification in a monitor's firmware.

The only reason 60Hz single-strobe isn't happening is mostly bureaucratic/legal/political. (basically fear of hurting people's eyes with 60 Hz CRT flicker, fear of legal issue).

For TVs, the LG/Sony screens have a 60Hz single strobe option on many models. (I think Vizio too, not 100% sure). RTINGS.com already tests which monitors supports 60Hz single strobe, and raises review scores of displays that support 60Hz single-strobe.

The LG C9 and CX OLEDs have a 60Hz single strobe option, but the CX OLED version is even better with a lower MPRT (75% motion blur reduction at about ~4ms MPRT) for 1080p 60Hz and 4K 60Hz.

I now have convinced 2 manufacturers to add single-strobe 60Hz support to some early-2021-model screens.
(One of them is publicly disclosed as Eve Spectrum, the other manufacturer is not yet disclosed).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Nintendude

Post by Nintendude » 25 Aug 2020, 06:27

This thread has given me hope for my favourite hobby.

I'm passionate about video games but since losing my CRTs it's been a nightmare. I had no idea about motion blur/ghosting etc. and how bad it would be. I assumed that today's tech would be superior to the CRTs of old - how is this level of motion blur tolerated by everyone? My LG 4k tv is terrible with tv/films but with games - forget it. The motion blur is off the scale. Sample-and-hold displays ruin most side scrolling games. TruMotion/smoothing etc. does nothing but even if it did, it can't be activated in Game Mode so is pointless anyway. Even with the Switch, which is designed to work with modern TVs, has major motion blur - if you move around the map on Mario Odyssey for example, the text is unreadable and the picture a blurry mess.

I have Master System, Mega Drive, SNES, N64, GC+GBPlayer, Wii, Wii U & Switch all outputting 60hz HDMI but with no way of getting back that CRT motion crispness - it's heartbreaking as I have collected a lot of games/memories over the last 30 years.

I have been reading these threads actively for hope of a solution. There's a lot of talk about emulators + BFI but I really want to use my consoles and carts as that's why I collected them in the first place. I don't know anything about PCs/Freesync/Gsync/GPUs/CPUs I just want to play my consoles as I did just last year when I still has a CRT.

It seems that there is always some issue now. 60hz single strobe could work but is flickery (so much so that manufacturers fear the legal ramifications). But then there are workarounds and room settings that help so maybe it would be okay. Then you get your hopes up about this Eve Spectrum monitor having 60hz SS only to find out it also has a 'red phospher issue?!' I try to remain positive but it's hard when there isn't a clear solution. Would the 60hz single strobe even be applicable for console gaming? I read that the FPS has to match the Hz and refresh rate but I'm guessing that, especially the earlier consoles, aren't running at 60FPS. Does this rule out this option?

Surely there must be a way to recreate or best a CRT with all that's available to us without waiting years/decades for 1000hz displays etc? If a monitor company creates a low motion blur display for someone in my position (60hz console gaming) I would buy it in an instant and I'm not a PC gamer so they're actually gaining a customer who wouldn't ever have need of a monitor normally.

I'm not trying to sound pessimistic - I have hope and I commend the work this team has done and the positive noises coming from you regarding 60hz single strobe activation - it's just frustrating when I never used to consider such things - it was just plug 'n' play.

Ah the good ol' days of CRT... :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Aug 2020, 10:52

Nintendude wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 06:27
My LG 4k tv is terrible with tv/films but with games
I assume it's not the LG C9 (50% blur reduction for 60Hz) or LG CX series (75% blur reduction for 60Hz)

The new LGs do a much better job of blur reduction via rolling-scan OLED BFI.

elexor

Post by elexor » 27 Aug 2020, 19:53

I have been using 120hz bfi on my oled in retroarch and man it makes retrogames bearable. It's so easy to see even a tiny amount of crosstalk with those solid colors NES games have. at medium scroll speeds everything looks perfect with no crosstalk. while still keeping the image nice and bright. I only notice motion blur during faster scrolling. it's not even flickery to me but i seem to have a tolerance for it.

I have yet to see a lcd tv that has single strobe without really bad crosstalk to the point that it's not worth using.

4ms persistence seems perfect for the 2d stuff that's enough for all scroll speeds to not be blurry and for super fast scroll speeds the stroboscopic steps become the limiting factor at 60hz. at-least for my eyes.

cx oled
pros:
60hz single strobe
4ms persistence motion pro high
pristine zero crosstalk.
less flickery then a global strobe

cons:
31ms input lag with motion pro high
75% brightness loss
motion pro medium is a double strobe(why can't we have a 8ms persistence single strobe mode?)

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 28 Aug 2020, 10:21

elexor show here than LG CX BFI has a fatal error in the sequence of game frames and black frames, causing unnecessary extra input lag, and also double image with BFI medium... If this sequence can be fixed by firmware update, input lag with BFI High should be the same than non BFI, and double image fixed.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7161&start=20#p54198

I can't understand how a modern 2020 OLED Gaming screen beyond 1000$, first Nvidia GSync Compatible in the world, high hype, can have these bugs. LG is supposed to have high qualified screen engineers to lead gaming projects... but in this case seems obvious than they not understand fully what they are doing. Hope they fix it with new firmware.