App or method for seeing ingame refresh rate?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
reniak

App or method for seeing ingame refresh rate?

Post by reniak » 28 Aug 2020, 17:39

im looking for a way to see the ingame monitor refresh rate in hertz. some monitors can show this via the monitor menu, but not all

and remember, im not looking for a tool like fraps, because it shows framerate, not monitor refresh rate

frame rate : the number of frames being sent from a computer

refresh rate : how often a monitor is updating its picture

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: App or method for seeing ingame refresh rate?

Post by RealNC » 29 Aug 2020, 03:35

The monitor will run at the Hz you selected in Windows or the GPU driver panel. Unless you want a VRR indicator (freesync or gsync). There are no tools for that, and there can't be. This is something the monitor itself needs to be able to report.

If on the other hand you want to know the exact refresh rate of the currently selected mode to several decimal places, then you can use one of the refresh rate detectors, like:

https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

fowteen

Re: App or method for seeing ingame refresh rate?

Post by fowteen » 29 Aug 2020, 06:41

You can use fraps if you freesync/gsync but apart from that I don't believe there is a program for that.