GSYNC - frequent crashes

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
sharknice

GSYNC - frequent crashes

Post by sharknice » 15 Apr 2014, 15:54

I get frequent crashes when I use GSYNC and I always have. The last driver release has lead to less frequent crashes but I still get them every few hours.
What typically happens is I'll be playing for 1 or 2 hours just fine. Then all of a sudden in the middle of a game it will crash. Windows will say something about the Geforce drivers crashing and recovering. If I try to go back into a game with GSYNC still enabled the game will run super slow and get 1 frame per second then I have to close it in the task manager. If I disable GSYNC I can play games normally, otherwise I have to restart to get GSYNC working again.
I don't get any crashes if I play without GSYNC.

I love GSYNC when it's working but the instability is making it a real pain to use. Has anyone been able to use GSYNC without crashes?

nimbulan

Re: GSYNC - frequent crashes

Post by nimbulan » 24 Apr 2014, 19:23

On a previous driver version, I had issues with games that run at 60 Hz with the screen randomly going black, forcing an alt+tab to keep playing. Other than that it's been completely stable on my GTX 760 across every driver version since release.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Apr 2014, 20:44

sharknice wrote:I love GSYNC when it's working but the instability is making it a real pain to use. Has anyone been able to use GSYNC without crashes?
sharknice, can you tell me if it still happens with the latest NVIDIA drivers?

If you are still having this problem, I'll give ManuelG @ NVIDIA a ping to look into this.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

damstr

Post by damstr » 27 Apr 2014, 18:47

I'm not crashing but am having problems where sometimes Gsync works and sometimes it doesn't. I remember one time I was in Crysis 3 and I noticed stuttering. Checked the monitor menu and it said normal instead of gsync. I went into the Nvidia control panel and gsync wasn't even in the menu. Rebooted and it was working again but seriously wtf? Bioshock doesn't even work at all.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 27 Apr 2014, 19:02

damstr wrote:I'm not crashing but am having problems where sometimes Gsync works and sometimes it doesn't. I remember one time I was in Crysis 3 and I noticed stuttering. Checked the monitor menu and it said normal instead of gsync. I went into the Nvidia control panel and gsync wasn't even in the menu. Rebooted and it was working again but seriously wtf? Bioshock doesn't even work at all.
That's happened to me quite a few times, but not recently. I made a thread about it a while ago: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=320