Input lag and eSport. Every gamer should know this.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
dervu

Re: Input lag and eSport. Every gamer should know this.

Post by dervu » 08 Sep 2020, 11:04

Router AC adapters are SMPS from what I have read? I just placed ferrite filter on each AC adapter cable, just before routers.
Mouse feel and input feels better now. No wonder any thing I did with ethernet cable made difference. Last thing I did - improvement didn't disappear. I hope this will not disappear too.
It looks like in my case this is more about equipment in my apartment.
Tried gaming, best game I had in recent months in CSGO. Tried driving sims and input of my wheel feels different too.
Tried Aimtastic to check how I will do with my aiming and scored more clicks than ever in same time.

Maybe some people don't notice it affecting their PC having this router or anything with such AC adapters.
Once I heard from my ISP while I was discussing my problems that gamers had some complaints, on one reddit post I found that my router model has some issues and person who switched it to other manufacturer model had improvement. Maybe he switched ISP, because you can't replace GPON ONT just like that.

Another similar case, a guy from my city playing FIFA complaining about lag and having same ISP with same router. He had lag, his brother living not so far away from him didn't. Intersting.

All this falls just perfectly with my observations while trying fiber media converters, which has those AC adapters too. It was so bad with them.

Either some people don't see difference and those AC adapters are bad or something else is making equipment vulnerable to this interference and some people like me must have something wrong.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

SSROCK

Post by SSROCK » 08 Sep 2020, 17:01

Just want to chime in and say i've experienced the same thing since roughly 2016, and have spent thousands of dollars attempting to fix it.

Original thread: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... x.3335063/

I have built multiple PC's / monitors / changed ISP's / wires / tried expensive UPS's ($200), and SO MUCH more. I tried absolutely everything there was to try. To this day I still get massive tearing / stuttering / low fps. V-Sync, G-Sync, xbox with vsync, you name it. I brought my entire setup 1:1 identical to dunkin donuts / friends houses, and it runs perfectly smooth and normal. I knew it had to be electric related, and am pursuing installing ground rods this week. If that doesn't solve it, EMF testing.

Really sucks as gaming is my favorite hobby and I cannot play consistently, it's not even fun. Stopped gaming cause of it.

Good luck everyone. Will post updates here.

Meowchan

Post by Meowchan » 09 Sep 2020, 01:06

You mentioned trying a different house and having the same problem. Is that the case and why do you figure it happened at another house? Was it nearby on same electrical grid? Does the occupant of said house experience same problem on his machine?

Have you tried CRU to lower your refresh rate to just under 240 hz? Try 239.964 or some such.

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 09 Sep 2020, 07:02

Ok guys. I was thinking about one more thing. the voltage in the electrical network. For example, in Japan, only 100 volts. Japan have this problem, does anyone know?
I watched Japanese streams, different games(multiplayer). Everything is perfectly smooth and synchronized with them.

You can try a 220 / 240v-100 volt step-down transformer. Modern power supplies in a PC can operate from 100 volts (this is written on the sticker)
Almost all chargers, monitor and console power supplies can also operate from 100 volts.
Can someone test this theory? Many of you have bought different equipment, have you tried a step-down transformer?

dervu

Post by dervu » 09 Sep 2020, 07:24

TN_fun wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 07:02
Ok guys. I was thinking about one more thing. the voltage in the electrical network. For example, in Japan, only 100 volts. Japan have this problem, does anyone know?
I watched Japanese streams, different games(multiplayer). Everything is perfectly smooth and synchronized with them.

You can try a 220 / 240v-100 volt step-down transformer. Modern power supplies in a PC can operate from 100 volts (this is written on the sticker)
Almost all chargers, monitor and console power supplies can also operate from 100 volts.
Can someone test this theory? Many of you have bought different equipment, have you tried a step-down transformer?
If that was the case, it would be more widespread issue. Even if it would work it would be just bypassing real issue.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

dendu

Post by dendu » 09 Sep 2020, 08:11

TN_fun wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 07:02

I have a few good quality step-down transformers, they do not effect the issues described here.

Grounding/earthing does has a noticeable effect though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system
The TT earthing system is used throughout Japan, with RCD units in most industrial settings. This can impose added requirements on variable frequency drives and switched-mode power supplies which often have substantial filters passing high frequency noise to the ground conductor.

In TN-S and TT systems, the consumer has a low-noise connection to earth, which does not suffer from the voltage that appears on the N conductor as a result of the return currents and the impedance of that conductor. This is of particular importance with some types of telecommunication and measurement equipment.

In TT systems, each consumer has its own connection to earth, and will not notice any currents that may be caused by other consumers on a shared PE line.

Appliances in Japan must comply with PSE law, and building wiring uses TT earthing in most installations.
I think Japan has quite high quality standards for major things like power and roads, so these issues might not be as noticeable.

RamenRider

Post by RamenRider » 10 Sep 2020, 06:44

Telling you right now. The #1 cause of input lag for most people is Windows Desktop Rendering. Windows is shit. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7168

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 10 Sep 2020, 09:51

RamenRider wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 06:44
Telling you right now. The #1 cause of input lag for most people is Windows Desktop Rendering. Windows is shit. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7168
LoL , nope.

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 10 Sep 2020, 10:43

RamenRider wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 06:44
dmw killer helo

dervu

Post by dervu » 10 Sep 2020, 11:22

There might be difference with killing dwm, but what people talk about here is probably magnitudes or order higher lag.