The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Stevie66

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by Stevie66 » 24 Sep 2020, 20:57

speancer wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 20:53
Stevie66 wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 20:02
If they don't honor my price error 360hz Asus then this is my final one, I'll see by the end of next month lol. Right now using the one with dead pixels but already started the RMA, waiting for the new one to ship before I send this back.
Ok, well, I guess VG259QM has a chance of being my final choice, too. I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice overall IPS picture quality over top TN performance, but still I will be testing Omen X25f soon and Zowie XL2546K when it's available for the ultimate comparison.

I was also thinking of getting the 360 Hz PG259QN, but I've heard that the first version of this monitor comes without NVIDIA Reflex, so that's a bummer, I'd like to have that feature :( Also, the price point will probably exceed my tolerance range... I expect over 3000 PLN in Polish stores, so that's just too much. Personally I don't think 360 Hz is really worth the fuss, especially coming from 280 Hz.
Yeah I wouldn't pay full price for the 360hz monitors that's for sure.
NVIDIA Reflex is for Nvidia GPUs all the way down to the 900 series, and a game has to support it. I was confused too and it turns out that monitor thing is the analyzer device to show the stats etc(stuff I'll never need by the looks of it). As you can see in this video he tested Nvidia Reflex as it works with all monitors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzmoLJwS6eQ

supremejd

Post by supremejd » 24 Sep 2020, 21:13

Is my monitor toast? I have white-screening issues on my VG259QM. Issue is present even without being connected to a PC. Tried replugging connections and resetting to factory settings.

https://imgur.com/a/XldMxBj

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 25 Sep 2020, 00:12

after looking at a LOT of testufo videos and pictures of the 259qm and the 279qm with ELMB enabled, I can't seem to stop thinking asus kind of made a mistake in calibrating the crosstalk area on these monitors?, what I mean is the bottom of the monitor looks more or less perfect when compared to the middle and top half, example from aperturegrille review of the vg279qm here:

look at the bottom ufo, it looks almost flawless compared to top and middle ufo, this is the same on any vg279qm/vg259qm testufo and frog pursuit examples I could find anywhere,

here is frog pursuit example again from aperturegrille review of vg279qm:

look at bottom frogs, they look more or less perfect and CRT quality almost, compared to middle and top where crosstalk is obvious (but not horrible, just obvious)

is it just me or should asus have calibrated these monitors so that the middle looks like the bottom instead?

I understand in-game its always less noticeable than in these tests, since the tests are designed to amplify crosstalk, but still, I wonder if this could be fixed with a firmware update, or even giving the option to adjust the crosstalk area like on benq monitors would also be a great option...

and for comparison, the new benq monitors (xl2546S/xl2746S) seem to have more or less perfect crosstalk calibration in all 3 areas, top / middle / bottom :

that picture is the xl2746S on 240 hz with dyac+ enabled, screenshot from this youtube video here: https://youtu.be/UptZUPDqTHk?t=27

I believe the video was made by the user "Dirty Scrubz" on this forum, anyway, just wanted to share my observations, thoughts ?

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 25 Sep 2020, 00:25

alexander1986 wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 00:12
after looking at a LOT of testufo videos and pictures of the 259qm and the 279qm with ELMB enabled, I can't seem to stop thinking asus kind of made a mistake in calibrating the crosstalk area on these monitors?, what I mean is the bottom of the monitor looks more or less perfect when compared to the middle and top half, example from aperturegrille review of the vg279qm here:

look at the bottom ufo, it looks almost flawless compared to top and middle ufo, this is the same on any vg279qm/vg259qm testufo and frog pursuit examples I could find anywhere,

here is frog pursuit example again from aperturegrille review of vg279qm:

look at bottom frogs, they look more or less perfect and CRT quality almost, compared to middle and top where crosstalk is obvious (but not horrible, just obvious)

is it just me or should asus have calibrated these monitors so that the middle looks like the bottom instead?

I understand in-game its always less noticeable than in these tests, since the tests are designed to amplify crosstalk, but still, I wonder if this could be fixed with a firmware update, or even giving the option to adjust the crosstalk area like on benq monitors would also be a great option...

and for comparison, the new benq monitors (xl2546S/xl2746S) seem to have more or less perfect crosstalk calibration in all 3 areas, top / middle / bottom :

that picture is the xl2746S on 240 hz with dyac+ enabled, screenshot from this youtube video here: https://youtu.be/UptZUPDqTHk?t=27

I believe the video was made by the user "Dirty Scrubz" on this forum, anyway, just wanted to share my observations, thoughts ?
I don't think any IPS displays do BFI great, they do better on low hz like 144hz. I remember the MSI having a bit less crosstalk than the Asus(which looks the same as the image you posted, bottom better looking than the middle and top of the screen) but heard that the Benq is the best with dyac+

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 25 Sep 2020, 00:47

Stevie66 wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 00:25

I don't think any IPS displays do BFI great, they do better on low hz like 144hz. I remember the MSI having a bit less crosstalk than the Asus(which looks the same as the image you posted, bottom better looking than the middle and top of the screen) but heard that the Benq is the best with dyac+
well, the bottom area looks really really good on the asus imo, so I just feel like it is a calibration issue more than panel issue, idk :S

since the crosshair area is most important for fast paced shooters anyways I figure if they could move the crosstalk-free area from the bottom up to the center it would be great, and would make this monitor even more good value for money than what it already is !

edit: found higher quality video directly comparing xl2546S to vg259qm next to eachother: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7DBqyGf7JE

asus looks really good at bottom once again, and zowie looks as good or better at top/center/bottom, but in practice I think its not that important to have 100% crosstalk-free top and bottom area, only center, thats why I find it strange asus did not calibrate the crosstalk-free area to be in the center instead of bottom :S

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 25 Sep 2020, 02:54

If you take a FULL PANEL crosstalk test at 280hz you'll notice that the top part has average crosstalk and the centre/bottom part are quite good, I think that the bottom part of the panel has better crosstalk at 280hz compared to the top part because it tends to get hotter since the PCB is located at the bottom of the monitor and temperature has been a known factor for speeding up g2g thus reducing crosstalk but it is possible that Asus made errors calculating strobe timings and shifted the good part to the bottom.

Asus completely missed the strobe timing when strobing with Adaptive Sync, even when VRR is not engaged it completely smear the UFO, it is weird because there is absolutely no crosstalk if you take a full panel Crosstalk Test but every single ufo is smeared into a mess.

I prefer strobing at 240hz, there's some crosstalk only in the top 2 and bottom 2 rows of the Strobe Crosstalk test and you have 11 rows that are almost perfect in terms of crosstalk and motion clarity.

But I'm still sticking to 280hz with ELMB-Sync OFF, I do notice the increase in input lag.
look at the bottom ufo, it looks almost flawless compared to top and middle ufo, this is the same on any vg279qm/vg259qm testufo and frog pursuit examples I could find anywhere
The UFO with the dark background has more crosstalk because it's the one that suffers more from a slower G2G, the weakness of high refresh IPS panels at the moment are the dark transitions.
Strobing at 240/280hz on this monitor doesn't look as good as a XL2546s with Dyac but it definitely beats most of the other strobing monitors in terms of crosstalk and brightness.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Boomchakadah

Post by Boomchakadah » 25 Sep 2020, 03:11

speancer wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 18:50
I can sometimes see very visible pixel inversion artifacts on my VG259QM. If I move the character around or move the camera with my mouse, I can see big ass vertical lines popping on the image (more or less pronounced depending on test scenario). Anyone else have this problem? I don't really see them in CS:GO, but I played DOOM Eternal now for a test and damn, it's bad. I also noticed them appearing slightly in Sekiro, but in DOOM these artifacts are very visible. If I set UFO Ghosting Test to 240/360 pixel speed, I also see these vertical lines appearing.

It looks similar to what you can see on the picture below. I found it on Blur Busters forums in a thread about pixel inversion.

I highly recommend returning your VG259QM and trying another until you get one that doesn't have pixel inversion issues. After experiencing pixel inversion issues twice, I'm 100% confident that it's the worst monitor defect a monitor can suffer from. It's crazy how much pixel inversion issues can ruin motion clarity. The 1st time I experienced pixel inversion issues was on an old Samsung monitor many years ago. Back then I didn't even know what pixel inversion was. I think I ended up selling the thing for like $20, and I felt guilty for doing that the buyer.

Very recently I experienced pixel inversion issues for the 2nd time on my Acer XV240Y 165Hz. I had to RMA it twice to get a non-defective unit. There are pixel inversion tests on Lagom and Blurbuster's website that you can run to test for inversion issues, but I heard that those tests can actually trigger pixel inversion issues. So, I avoid doing those. A good and safe way to test for pixel inversion issues that I found is to hop into a game of krunker.io, and then stare at walls while jumping up and down. If you see pixel shivering or changing shapes, return the monitor ASAP.
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 25 Sep 2020, 03:31

speancer wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 18:50
If I set UFO Ghosting Test to 240/360 pixel speed, I also see these vertical lines appearing.
I can reproduce it with an UfoTest, I think that it's because standard background for the ufo is Cyan rgb(0,255,255) so an entire row of red pixels switched OFF is off giving you the impression that there are vertical lines.
Same for the image you took, some subpixels are only partially switched off and others are more bright.
I think it's normal for a LCD panel and it would explain why changing the ufo background to white (255/255/255) has no lines.
I'm not entirely sure that these are not pixel inversion artifacts so take my words with a grain of salt.
You should probably ask the Chief or RealNC about this issue just to be sure.

I tried running the pixel inversion test in Firefox which ended up creating a lot of flickering, I switched back to Chrome and it was fine.

This is the subpixel layout for this monitor:

XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 25 Sep 2020, 06:02

speancer wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 19:28
Stevie66 wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 19:06
If you can make it happen again try and change the monitors contrast and see if it goes away, my Alienware did that and was real odd, not sure why changing the contrast up or down 1 click removes it anyway.
I wonder if the 360hz panels will have this issue too, didn't notice it on my 280hz Asus yet.
I don't need really need to make it happen, it happens all the time, it's just more or less visible depending on the in-game background, clearly visible in DOOM Eternal. Changing contrast did nothing. Duh, that's so disappointing, I was seriously thinking of keeping VG259QM, but with this level of inversion artifacts there's no way I keep it.

Pixel inversion varies between units of the same monitor I guess? My current unit of VG259QM is defective anyway, it has a small cluster of stuck bright pixels and one dead burned pixel, I already opened RMA return ticket a few days ago, but still got some time before I need to return it. I got a brand-new HP Omen X25f in the box, waiting for its turn to be tested.
I've tried 2 times the Omen X25f and both suffered from pixel inversion artifacts (vertical lines) and they were clearly visible in CS:GO.
With the VG259QM I don't see them at all, I think it's a panel lottery issue.
Curious about your experiences with the X 25f maybe you are lucky!
If I had to choose between those 2 (which I did) the VG259QM is a big winner.
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

sephir

Post by sephir » 25 Sep 2020, 07:44

Thanks for the thread! running a vg27 and I've never seen overwatch run so smooth. Reminds me of my old crt back in the day. Really helps a forty year old who's lost some reaction time over the years! Used the regular g-sync low lag settings as found here as well.

-280hz
-Adaptive Sync ON
-OD120
-Shadow boost LVL1
-Brightness 70-90 during the day
-Contrast 80
-VividPixel lvl 50
-Overwatch 275 locked fps with v-sync on in nvidia drivers.