Need help - is there a 4k 120hz OC TV?

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
benJi2D

Need help - is there a 4k 120hz OC TV?

Post by benJi2D » 17 Sep 2020, 15:16

Hi there guys, you're my last hope!

I know about this site / forums for a long time, but registered now. I'm not going to write the whole...novel...I wrote on another forums, I'm just going to ask straight to the point (they didn't help me, only passive-aggressive comments).
I know there are 4k (HDR?) 120hz TVs out of the box, but they are too expensive if I'm not mistaken, and because of that I'm asking, is there a good 4k HDR tv that can be OC to 120hz keeping the 4k resolution? I have a Sony TV in my living room that can switch to 120hz via properties, but the resolution is switching to 1080p. All I'm asking is...do I have a less expensive option and if not...what are my other options for 4k 120hz HDR TV? I don't care about g-sync, 1ms reaction time, none of that. I just need to see above those FPS at 4k, but on a TV and having HDR is optional, but highly preferable. Oh and another thing, the current TV I'm using is 43''. Anything above that will be too big, so I would prefer something a little bit smaller, but those are just some minor details I just wanted to mention.

Thank you very much for reading!

benJi2D

Re: Need help - is there a 4k 120hz OC TV?

Post by benJi2D » 18 Sep 2020, 07:07

At the end of the day...a 4k monitor that can be OC to 120hz (or something around this) would also be cool. Something from 27'' to 32'' maybe? Bigger is better, but beggars can't be choosers. I saw a lot of older (like 2-3 years) monitors that have 4k HDR and a fair price, but only support 60hz and I was wondering if they can be OC. I'm seeing people discussing some (or similar) of those models in the forums here, so I guess it's possible? I just need a suggestion which one to get. Is there a list of known to be overcloackable and stable 4k monitors?
So yeah, if such TV does not exist, I'll just buy a monitor. Preferably a little bit older and cheaper, bcuz those new 4k HDR 144hz monitors are incredibly pricey...I think.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Sep 2020, 13:34

You already covered the bases it appears.

Cheaper sub-$1000 4K 120Hz with basic HDR is more of a 2021 thing -- you may have to wait a bit.

You can get pretty close with newer Samsung 55" Quantum-dot HDTV's, 55" 4K 120Hz for just above $1000 -- I believe it supports FreeSync too, as a bonus.

For example, those new LG NanoIPS 4K desktop panels can do 4K 120Hz natively at less than $1000 while having basic HDR (8 or 16 zone dimming), probably the basics of DislayHDR 600. From Gigabyte, from Eve, or from others.

Black Friday sales will hit the LG C9 panels (last year's OLED) as they clear out for the LG CX OLEDs and such, so you might nail a 55" LG 4K HDTV for much cheaper. The pre-C9 could only do 1080p 120Hz, but C9 (2018+) can now do 4K 120Hz non-VRR, even though you need CX (2020+) to do 4K 120Hz VRR.

(Links above are Blur Busters affiliate links, in case you wish to support Blur Busters)

Also, RTINGS.com can also tell you which 4K HDTVs can do 120Hz, it's listed as part of the capabilities tests that they do.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

benJi2D

Post by benJi2D » 30 Sep 2020, 06:15

Well...I decided on buying the LG CX 55''...it has OLED 4k HDR G-sync 1ms response 120hz...this is amazing. I don't think that there's a better TV for this price. I also got it 30% off for 1430 $. I think that's an amazing deal.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Sep 2020, 12:26

benJi2D wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 06:15
Well...I decided on buying the LG CX 55''...it has OLED 4k HDR G-sync 1ms response 120hz...this is amazing. I don't think that there's a better TV for this price. I also got it 30% off for 1430 $. I think that's an amazing deal.
For the latest CX OLED, that's a great deal too.

They also support a BFI strobing mode that reduces motion blur by 75% at its strongest setting, though strobing is best for framerate=Hz situations.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pilgrimage

Post by pilgrimage » 08 Oct 2020, 00:43

Obviously I have a 2k 144hz monitor. I bought LG49nano866 TV to play 4K 120hz. However, after the test after the purchase, i think i was wrong. Because I can play 4K 120hz even with the performance of my 5k and above graphics card with Nvidia Dynamic Super Resolution support on my 2k 144hz processor. I did not see a difference worth the money I gave between LG Native 4k 120hz and 4K 120hz by DSR on my 2k 144hz monitor. People should definitely try DSR. The FPS value is soft and I have tested the same with the 4K 120hz native for smoothness. But the Industry wants us to constantly change Hardware. I think we accompany this illusion.