Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Alpha

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by Alpha » 30 Sep 2020, 09:54

Stevie66 wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 10:43
Just wait for a Rtings review, they always test the input lag at max and 60hz. I think Tftcentral does too if I recall, and their review is out for the public in a few days.
I am pretty hyped to see some reviews. Hardware Unboxed missed a few things people will find pleasantly surprising (not of the technical variety) other reviewers may dig into. I have the ambient light sensor covered and hoping to get some ideas on if this is worth making a few changes to uncover. I didn't do a deep dive due to scheduling conflict and not wanting to break anything before a stream but you'd think with VRR disabled in Windows, in NVCP Gsync off, with a refresh rate set too 240hz around the board, I could check out ULMB. I won't use it but curious how it stacked up against the ELMB of my VG259QM (240 vs 240 and 240 vs 280). For the love of all, that did not allow me to enable it.

Kinda of an aside, I could not get decent picture showing the alien. I didn't want to take down my DSLR's to try and capture but the issue with the iPhone X Pro cam kept turning into one of focus. Evidently I am quicker at clicking heads than pics but I embarrassingly spent probably 20-30 minutes on this. Brand new monitor I had been waiting for. Fortunate timing allowed me to get it. I set it up... had to get everything organized and instead of taking it out for a spin I'm failing at taking dang pics :lol:

I did try Reflex last night and not sure what to say on this. At one time I was ranked 600 in the world in Kills in Warzone and still maintain top win and k/d percentages. I bring this up because I have a pretty good feel for the game when you hit a decent server or not. Due to Season 6 release is it's entirely possible the servers which are already the worst I've ever seen (12hz tick rates...) were the issue but Reflex and with boost on I could not determine an improvement. I would need to test a better game though. To me, it felt like Reflex had an almost in mud feeling. You don't notice with the mouse but in general things felt less responsive but not like you'd see or feel from looking around. To circle back, I can always tell a Server is shit when dropping and the Parachute is not responsive when navigating. This was extremely evident when playing a few games. Could have been servers, could have been the parachute mechanics being changed in Season 6, and may not have been Reflex at all. I plan on taking a look at COD outside of Warzone where the servers are a bit less punishing but still ultimate trash.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 30 Sep 2020, 10:29

jnashville wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 04:19
i have a vg259qm. not sure whether should i upgrade to the pg259qn. Will i see a noticeable improvement? Mainly just playing csgo
There will be improvement. Rather you see it or perceive it comes down to you. If you're highly competitive, this is your hobby go for it. If not, save the price difference and grab whatever AMD drops if its superior to what you have that will likely help more in a CPU bound game like CS:GO.

PG259QN picture quality is better.
Its faster.
Motion is clearer.
Implementation of Shadow boost is superior.
It's better in every single area that I have observed that matter for my usage case, the ones which I haven't may be some deal breakers to some. Like ULMB, RGB on the back, price, things like that.

These were completely evident literally side by side to me for the units I own. VG259QM was on firmware 105 and I preferred the OD120 settings regardless of what Rtings showed and unfortunately I do not believe they shared the FW so if that had any impact, don't know.
Picture quality, likely doesn't matter to some. Faster does. Motion does of course if you can tell. Right now, it seems it's been tough to get a VG259QM as they are almost always sold out, resale would be pretty good I'd imagine.

I upgraded a rather expensive projector in my dedicated theater room. The change was massive beyond doubt. HDR so wider color gamut, vastly superior contrast which good gosh is an immediate tell, better motion, it was ISF calibrated, went from 1080p to 4k on 135 inch screen and we are at THX standards for seating. The Mrs liked the picture of course but may not have noticed had I not pointed everything out which she still seemed to have some enthusiasm though potentially forced a bit :lol: . Everyone is different.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 30 Sep 2020, 11:19

Alpha wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 09:54
Stevie66 wrote:
Just wait for a Rtings review, they always test the input lag at max and 60hz. I think Tftcentral does too if I recall, and their review is out for the public in a few days.
I am pretty hyped to see some reviews. Hardware Unboxed missed a few things people will find pleasantly surprising (not of the technical variety) other reviewers may dig into. I have the ambient light sensor covered and hoping to get some ideas on if this is worth making a few changes to uncover. I didn't do a deep dive due to scheduling conflict and not wanting to break anything before a stream but you'd think with VRR disabled in Windows, in NVCP Gsync off, with a refresh rate set too 240hz around the board, I could check out ULMB. I won't use it but curious how it stacked up against the ELMB of my VG259QM (240 vs 240 and 240 vs 280). For the love of all, that did not allow me to enable it.

Kinda of an aside, I could not get decent picture showing the alien. I didn't want to take down my DSLR's to try and capture but the issue with the iPhone X Pro cam kept turning into one of focus. Evidently I am quicker at clicking heads than pics but I embarrassingly spent probably 20-30 minutes on this. Brand new monitor I had been waiting for. Fortunate timing allowed me to get it. I set it up... had to get everything organized and instead of taking it out for a spin I'm failing at taking dang pics :lol:

I did try Reflex last night and not sure what to say on this. At one time I was ranked 600 in the world in Kills in Warzone and still maintain top win and k/d percentages. I bring this up because I have a pretty good feel for the game when you hit a decent server or not. Due to Season 6 release is it's entirely possible the servers which are already the worst I've ever seen (12hz tick rates...) were the issue but Reflex and with boost on I could not determine an improvement. I would need to test a better game though. To me, it felt like Reflex had an almost in mud feeling. You don't notice with the mouse but in general things felt less responsive but not like you'd see or feel from looking around. To circle back, I can always tell a Server is shit when dropping and the Parachute is not responsive when navigating. This was extremely evident when playing a few games. Could have been servers, could have been the parachute mechanics being changed in Season 6, and may not have been Reflex at all. I plan on taking a look at COD outside of Warzone where the servers are a bit less punishing but still ultimate trash.
In the Nvidia settings under monitor technology should be an option for ULMB(same setting where you choose Gsync)

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 30 Sep 2020, 11:26

Can anyone here do a pursuit UFO Ghosting test on OD off?

I find its default OD to have overshoot which in my opinion isn't playable

karel88l

Post by karel88l » 30 Sep 2020, 12:04

Hey Alpha,I want ask how is pg259qn image quality better then vg259qm ? It has better backlight uniformity ? And how is display coating and text sharpness ?

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 30 Sep 2020, 14:41

Stevie66 wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 11:19
Alpha wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 09:54
Stevie66 wrote:

In the Nvidia settings under monitor technology should be an option for ULMB(same setting where you choose Gsync)
You've got to be kidding.... Either I have gone full blind or just wow. I will look at this tonight. I had been making those EXACT changes and I am dead serious when saying latest drivers, turning off GSync and verifying its off I must have just overlooked it. Good gosh. Thanks man. It's not something I'll ever use but wanted to atleast offer what my eyes are seeing by comparison to Dyac or VG259QM though if I can't even see the setting that may be the end all tell all lol.

RLCScontender, any tips to do this properly with an iPhone 11 Pro? I am not taking down my DSLR's to do this and FFS I would literally swing the phone as closely to the same speed as the UFO but the issue was constantly focus and no image was anywhere close to being representative to what I was seeing. I tried on my X 25F and VG259QM as well same result. Was driving me nuts for 20-30 minutes!!

karel88l- I believe the contrast is higher (this is pure speculation as I did not measure) but what I can say is I have multiple ISF calibrated devices to name a few, Pioneer Kuro, OLED, VPL-VW885ES. The colors out of the box are the best I have seen from a monitor (not display but monitor). Not oversaturated like my LG 850 or just horrid like my Omen X 27 (terrifying until adjusting on this one) just extremely good. Again, no measurements. the VG259QM I had 0 complaints about and enjoyed the picture but the PG259QN had a wow factor. If someone offered to do a free calibration unless they had a vested interest in the factory accuracy (you get a paper showing the accuracy in the box like the LG) I'd kindly decline to save their time I feel it is that accurate\good. This is in all modes too. I run two ring lights and have the ambient light covered so YMMV.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Sep 2020, 15:39

Alpha wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 14:41
RLCScontender, any tips to do this properly with an iPhone 11 Pro? I am not taking down my DSLR's to do this and FFS I would literally swing the phone as closely to the same speed as the UFO but the issue was constantly focus and no image was anywhere close to being representative to what I was seeing. I tried on my X 25F and VG259QM as well same result. Was driving me nuts for 20-30 minutes!!
There are tips in Pursuit Camera Discussion Forum.

The main thread is New easy free pursuit camera.

Ideas include:
- Download app such as "DSLRCamera" or "Pro Cam" to make it child's play to fixed focus, fixed color temp, fixed exposure per frame. Then set ISO to brighten/dim the image accordingly (so it's not overexposed/underexposed). Adjust monitor brightness downwards if you have to.
- Keep your body & outstretched arms stiff and spin your computer chair instead. This makes phone less shaky.
- Make sure camera lens is roughly same as regular viewing distance (not too close to screen). Use a little bit of zoom if necessary.
- Use frame exposure of approximately 4x refresh cycles (1/30sec exposure for 120Hz monitors, 1/60sec exposure for 240Hz monitors).
- Use www.testufo.com/ghosting

If still having difficulty, to make things a little easier, doing 3x refresh cycles (1/40sec for 120Hz monitors, 1/80sec for 240Hz monitors) and make sure you refer to these diagrams for pursuit camera accuracy.

If you don't want to use DSLRCamera, and just want to use your existing phone app, then tap-and-hold to focus first (do it stationary while using the TestUFO "Pause" setting), BEFORE you pursuit at 960pps or 1920pps.

I now recommend 1920pps for 240Hz+ monitors. Much harder though with a hand wave than a camera rail, though. Higher Hz sometimes is a challenge. Even LinusTechTips did it a bit inaccurately for 360Hz (diminished difference between 240Hz and 360Hz with pursuit camera inaccuracy).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 30 Sep 2020, 15:55

IMG_3560.jpg
IMG_3560.jpg (183.38 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
Here is ULMB and I will circle back to follow Chiefs instructions on the others. This was taking with the default iPhone camera settings after I enabled ULMB. Does this seem good or bad?

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 30 Sep 2020, 16:08

Use the ghosting /pursuit camera test from that site in the drop down menu

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 30 Sep 2020, 16:12

Stevie66 wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 16:08
Use the ghosting /pursuit camera test from that site in the drop down menu
I will but snapped that prior to reading Chief's instructions. I'll circle back and do them all when I get a moment. It'll be by EOD tomorrow at the latest.