G-sync Flicker Problem !

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
pilgrimage

G-sync Flicker Problem !

Post by pilgrimage » 07 Oct 2020, 07:43

Hi, LG49NANO866 Games may flicker when G-sync is enabled. Is there any way to reduce or remove Flickering with G-sync enabled? If so, how can I do it exactly?

I’m using my 49Nana866 tv 4k 120hz 4.2.0 8 bit.

I noticed that 4K and 1440p doing flickering at 120hz. But when I get 4k 60hz, the flickering doesn’t happen when g-sync is active. Frankly, I don’t know what to do. MY LG Firmware version 3.10.11

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-sync Flicker Problem !

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Oct 2020, 18:14

pilgrimage wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 07:43
Hi, LG49NANO866 Games may flicker when G-sync is enabled. Is there any way to reduce or remove Flickering with G-sync enabled? If so, how can I do it exactly?
Are you talking about minor flicker (like 1% brightness changes) or major blackout flicker (going black for a moment)?

Major Flicker
Usually caused by firmware bugs or driver bugs. Try lower framerate caps such as a 99fps cap (there's a firmware bug on one LG model at the moment)

Faint / Minor Flicker
For minor flicker, flicker is caused by sudden framerate changes. Different framerates have different refresh rates which /occasionally/ has slightly different colors (for various reasons, such as GtGtime:refreshtime (frametime) ratios, as well as LCD pixel decay, etc). Usually like about 1% brightness difference. Which causes the visible flicker when framerates /suddenly/ change.

To minimize this, you want to adjust to minimum framerate gyrations:
- Game settings (less stuttery settisngs)
- Game on SSD (less diskload stutter)
- GPU upgrade (keep GPU fast)
- Framerate cap (cap at something like 117fps below 120Hz)
- Keep framerates well inside LFC range or well above LFC range. You don't want framerates wildly gyrating into and out of LFC range, since the transition-into-LFC and transition-out-of-LFC can be a cause of flicker.

Also, your display is FreeSync (aka G-SYNC Compatible), which can sometimes have more flicker than G-SYNC Premium since NVIDIA's G-SYNC tuning for flicker-related matters, can on average be better.

The VRR universe is full of subtle behaviors that needs to be improved by the multiple manufacturers;
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pilgrimage

Post by pilgrimage » 08 Oct 2020, 04:09

What is the LFC? How can I set the LFC interval?

If the G-sync range you are saying is LG49nano866 40-120hz VRR range.

Thankyou for support.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Oct 2020, 08:07

pilgrimage wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 04:09
What is the LFC? How can I set the LFC interval?

If the G-sync range you are saying is LG49nano866 40-120hz VRR range.
In this case it means make sure you don't go near 40FPS. LFC will make the monitor jump from 40Hz to 80Hz. This can cause flicker with some monitors.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.