Asus VG259QM input lag/responsiveness?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
hzl

Asus VG259QM input lag/responsiveness?

Post by hzl » 08 Oct 2020, 20:25

Hi there,
how does the Asus VG259QM compare against the Benq XL2546K/XL2546 in terms of input latency, overall responsiveness etc.
Is the Benq faster in any way or does it not make a difference anymore whether someone decides to buy a fast IPS panel monitor or a TN?
Im currently using a XL2411z but since it doesn't have a displayport cable and i want to buy a new GPU soon i want to upgrade my monitor.
Earlier this year i have ordered a Omen X 25f (had two of them because i thought the first one was broken) but it was really bad. When scrolling text (https://www.testufo.com/framerates-text) there was a dark and blurry mess after each word. This happened on both X 25f monitors!
The Omen felt really good in games - way smoother than my XL2411z - but it was unusable on the desktop/when doing research. And it had better colors than my XL2411z.

Now since i mostly play games like CSGO (8k+ hours) and also some Quake and Diabotical im searching for the best 240hz monitor there is for my use case.
Im scared that the Asus might be a bit slower than fast TN panels like the XL2546K. Not really because i might lose games with it, no. But because a fast monitor feels really responsive overall. And so even using it on the desktop makes things more pleasant!

Is someone in here who tested both the Asus and the Benq? Are there any downsides buying the Asus instead of the Benq?

Thanks in advance!

TTT

Re: Asus VG259QM input lag/responsiveness?

Post by TTT » 09 Oct 2020, 07:17

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... st-results

Got to the bottom of testing for input lag, its insanely low.. 1.9ms native, 2.2ms VRR.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 09 Oct 2020, 07:42

I own a VG259qm, I don't notice any delay between my mouse movements and the screen.
I tried recording with a 480fps camera (so 1000/480 = 2.08 ms of error) from the moment I click a keyboard button and the led lights up (onboard memory) to when the display gets the input and I didn't see any difference in response times, it's insanely fast.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

hzl

Post by hzl » 09 Oct 2020, 12:30

I received the monitor and it feels extremely responsive! Compared to my XL2411z it feels more responsive and nicer to look at. Im not sure whether it's due to the lower input lag or the higher refresh rate and less screen tearing.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Oct 2020, 13:07

hzl wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 12:30
I received the monitor and it feels extremely responsive! Compared to my XL2411z it feels more responsive and nicer to look at. Im not sure whether it's due to the lower input lag or the higher refresh rate and less screen tearing.
All of them.

Modern 240Hz+ IPS panels now have less lag than many old 144Hz TN monitors.

And the higher refresh rates mean tearing is visible more briefly. A tearline is visible for one refresh cycle, so a 1/280sec visible tearline is harder to see than a 1/144sec visible tearline.

In addition, the sheer extra Hz can actually far more than overcome the remaining IPS-vs-TN weaknesses.

This is in addition to the fact that 2020-era IPS panels have approximately 1/3rd the ghosting of 2019-era-and-prior IPS panels. When the first 240Hz IPS panels came out for desktop use, they were a major reduction in IPS-level ghosting compared to past IPS (e.g. 165 Hz IPS).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 09 Oct 2020, 15:11

hzl wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 20:25
Hi there,
how does the Asus VG259QM compare against the Benq XL2546K/XL2546 in terms of input latency, overall responsiveness etc.
Is the Benq faster in any way or does it not make a difference anymore whether someone decides to buy a fast IPS panel monitor or a TN?
Im currently using a XL2411z but since it doesn't have a displayport cable and i want to buy a new GPU soon i want to upgrade my monitor.
Earlier this year i have ordered a Omen X 25f (had two of them because i thought the first one was broken) but it was really bad. When scrolling text (https://www.testufo.com/framerates-text) there was a dark and blurry mess after each word. This happened on both X 25f monitors!
The Omen felt really good in games - way smoother than my XL2411z - but it was unusable on the desktop/when doing research. And it had better colors than my XL2411z.

Now since i mostly play games like CSGO (8k+ hours) and also some Quake and Diabotical im searching for the best 240hz monitor there is for my use case.
Im scared that the Asus might be a bit slower than fast TN panels like the XL2546K. Not really because i might lose games with it, no. But because a fast monitor feels really responsive overall. And so even using it on the desktop makes things more pleasant!

Is someone in here who tested both the Asus and the Benq? Are there any downsides buying the Asus instead of the Benq?

Thanks in advance!
Omen is where I'd stay, I own that and own the VG259QM. VG259QM is amazing however keep in mind in an instance you see lower frames the VG259QM to me becomes unplayable. If you can hold the 200+ fps you'll love it that would be my pick. Attached is the test you had issues with on the Omen X 25 F. I don't have capacity to move my VG259QM right now but I can take one for you later if needed. The Omen will easily beat the VG259QM in input lag if you reach a spot your GPU is pushed. Some crappy console game that runs 60fps no matter what hardware you throw at it, it would be unplayable to me on the VG259QM. The Omen X 25 F would be fine as it wouldn't suffer near the input lag. I had the 2546S for a week due to an order they wouldn't cancel after the entire S discontinuation debacle. I believe the K will be nearly identical as the S was essentially a wash to me (off memory) then the 2546. Great displays but if the K has color out of the box like the S, your jaw will drop to the floor its that bad. I'd take the X 25 F and VG259QM over the S unless I loved Dyac of course. Plan to dial it in color wise.

Short Version, Omen X 25 F is faster than any Benq I have used. VG259QM and Omen are so freaking close its nuts so I'd take that the VG259QM for the other perks if FPS can be maintained and given your games shouldn't be an issue.

Just my opinion. Shame about your Omen, I feel like this is the most underrated display out there. Motion Blur, speed, its just an incredible display.
Attachments
Omen X 25 F.jpg
Omen X 25 F.jpg (317.03 KiB) Viewed 10767 times

TTT

Post by TTT » 09 Oct 2020, 17:00

Whats the correlation of how much the hardware is being pushed to the input lag of the monitor?

hzl

Post by hzl » 09 Oct 2020, 20:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 13:07
hzl wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 12:30
All of them.

Modern 240Hz+ IPS panels now have less lag than many old 144Hz TN monitors.

And the higher refresh rates mean tearing is visible more briefly. A tearline is visible for one refresh cycle, so a 1/280sec visible tearline is harder to see than a 1/144sec visible tearline.

In addition, the sheer extra Hz can actually far more than overcome the remaining IPS-vs-TN weaknesses.

This is in addition to the fact that 2020-era IPS panels have approximately 1/3rd the ghosting of 2019-era-and-prior IPS panels. When the first 240Hz IPS panels came out for desktop use, they were a major reduction in IPS-level ghosting compared to past IPS (e.g. 165 Hz IPS).
Hi!
Cool to see you respond to my post here! I read a lot of your posts before being a member of the forum. I appreciate that you put so much time and effort into helping other people and sharing knowledge about monitor tech.

All of this makes perfect sense and adds up to an overall smoother experience. But to be honest, i did not expect to feel the difference regarding input lag as much as i do. I thought its just gonna be a bit smoother and there will be less tearing but i didnt expect the monitor to actually feel more responsive.
The only "downside" right now for me is this "IPS glow" which i really see because my Benq was always just "matte" if that makes sense.

But unfortunately there is one more issue:
There is a pixel (?) in the middle of the screen which appears to be greyisch. It does not change colors and stays grey even ith different background colors. I have had two "stuck" pixels on the Omen X 25f which i was able to fix really fast by tapping at the screen. I guess this doesnt work with IPS panels?
Is there a way to fix this pixel or should i just send the monitor back and get another one?

I will try to add two pictures. It is easier to spot IRL compared to the pictures. When looking at the white fullscreen on this page "http://www.whitedisplay.com/" i you will immediately see it while sitting in front of the monitor.
Attachments
pixel_weiß2.png
pixel_weiß2.png (948.85 KiB) Viewed 10682 times
pixel_weiß.png
pixel_weiß.png (683.36 KiB) Viewed 10682 times

hzl

Post by hzl » 09 Oct 2020, 20:21

Alpha wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 15:11
hzl wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!
Omen is where I'd stay, I own that and own the VG259QM. VG259QM is amazing however keep in mind in an instance you see lower frames the VG259QM to me becomes unplayable. If you can hold the 200+ fps you'll love it that would be my pick. Attached is the test you had issues with on the Omen X 25 F. I don't have capacity to move my VG259QM right now but I can take one for you later if needed. The Omen will easily beat the VG259QM in input lag if you reach a spot your GPU is pushed. Some crappy console game that runs 60fps no matter what hardware you throw at it, it would be unplayable to me on the VG259QM. The Omen X 25 F would be fine as it wouldn't suffer near the input lag. I had the 2546S for a week due to an order they wouldn't cancel after the entire S discontinuation debacle. I believe the K will be nearly identical as the S was essentially a wash to me (off memory) then the 2546. Great displays but if the K has color out of the box like the S, your jaw will drop to the floor its that bad. I'd take the X 25 F and VG259QM over the S unless I loved Dyac of course. Plan to dial it in color wise.

Short Version, Omen X 25 F is faster than any Benq I have used. VG259QM and Omen are so freaking close its nuts so I'd take that the VG259QM for the other perks if FPS can be maintained and given your games shouldn't be an issue.

Just my opinion. Shame about your Omen, I feel like this is the most underrated display out there. Motion Blur, speed, its just an incredible display.
Well, i had two Omen X 25f. I bought the first one as "new" on Amazon.de (the second one was the one they sent me after contacting the support) during a special offer. It was only 272 euros at that time so i thought i can't do anything wrong with buying it. I read Rtings review and also read threads here in the forum and stuff on reddit. Almost everything i read was positive and especially the Rtings review convinced me of this monitor.
So when i bought i went into CS and was really glad that i bought this monitor for this price. It felt really snappy and the 240hz felt great!
But as soon as i started using my browser and scrolling text i immediately saw that there must be something wrong. I tested every option there is in the menu of the monitor but it didn't change. After that i contacted someone from the r/monitors subreddit Discord and messages him these videos. He said that this cant be real and even asked me if im sure that its the right monitor running at 240hz.

Well long story short i got a new one, sent the "old" one back and had exactly the same problem. One thing which might be worth it to mention is that both monitors seemed to have polish packaging. I thought that there might be some low quality panels but i wasn't sure.

So i guess that i just got pretty unlucky with the Omens. But im happy for you that you have a perfect one! It looks completely different from the ones i had and way better!

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 10 Oct 2020, 09:36

hzl wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 20:21
Alpha wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 15:11
hzl wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!

Well, i had two Omen X 25f. I bought the first one as "new" on Amazon.de (the second one was the one they sent me after contacting the support) during a special offer. It was only 272 euros at that time so i thought i can't do anything wrong with buying it. I read Rtings review and also read threads here in the forum and stuff on reddit. Almost everything i read was positive and especially the Rtings review convinced me of this monitor.
So when i bought i went into CS and was really glad that i bought this monitor for this price. It felt really snappy and the 240hz felt great!
But as soon as i started using my browser and scrolling text i immediately saw that there must be something wrong. I tested every option there is in the menu of the monitor but it didn't change. After that i contacted someone from the r/monitors subreddit Discord and messages him these videos. He said that this cant be real and even asked me if im sure that its the right monitor running at 240hz.

Well long story short i got a new one, sent the "old" one back and had exactly the same problem. One thing which might be worth it to mention is that both monitors seemed to have polish packaging. I thought that there might be some low quality panels but i wasn't sure.

So i guess that i just got pretty unlucky with the Omens. But im happy for you that you have a perfect one! It looks completely different from the ones i had and way better!
Strangers things have happened but that is rough luck and I'd have bounced too. My Omen X 25 F is still hooked up and I use it on another PC. My VG259QM, Omen X 27 and a bunch of others are sitting for now (I need to move the VG259QM to where my GL850 is but size and resolution is nice from time to time though not a competitive setup for me) but on my main rig the permanent home is a PG259QN until the next wave. I am pretty much blown away by this one all around. Having said that, it still reinforces my feelings on the X 25 F just being so dang good.