Stuttering with G-Sync (new Monitor).

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
jorimt

Re: Stuttering with G-Sync (new Monitor).

Post by jorimt » 12 Oct 2020, 15:02

Olonne wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 14:36
In-game setting always set as "Full screen". I have never used Borderless or Windowed modes. And "Enable for windowed and full screen mode" is set by deafult, once you plug the new G-Sync monitor. I wish it was that easy...
I know, but I had to make sure. That, and again, some games' "Fullscreen" mode is actually borderless, but as long as the G-SYNC indicator is on, then you should be fine.
Olonne wrote:
Yeah, as I said earlier, it's the only way to get rid of those terrible stutters for 95% of the time for me. But I am sure it's a very strange way to gain framerate consistency. I though G-Sync should provide smoothness without any tearing effect even with unstable framerate. But not in my case whatever reason.
Where variable framerate is concerned, yes, G-SYNC should, but apparently it's not for you.
Olonne wrote:
Okay let me ask this question other way: What should I check within my Hardware\Software? Should I try to roll back from Win 10 2004 to Win 10 1909 or something? I realy don't know what to do, because I always keep my PC stuff under control (CPU\GPU Temps, GPU Drivers\Chipset Versions, Windows 10 updates, e.t.c)
Or, maybe,I should just try to change my GPU for more powerfull one? (But still, you have the same spec, and there aren't any issues.)
That's difficult to say. I don't know your configuration.

I myself don't do anything special with mine. I simply have no background programs or overlays (but for Afterburner/RTSS when I'm using it) open when playing a game. Beyond that, I personally have HAGS disabled, Windows game mode enabled, and the Xbox game bar disabled.

What I can say, is both the G-SYNC monitor models you listed are G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync, not native G-SYNC (like mine).

The past few Nvidia drivers introduced G-SYNC Compatible issues, so before you troubleshoot further, you should rule out the driver version causing this, and install this one (using DDU for clean install):
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... ion-452.22
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Oct 2020, 02:22

Try this:

Force vsync OFF everywhere. Both in-game and in the NVCP. Disable g-sync. Disable the nvidia limiter. Use an RTSS cap of 165FPS.

Does it still happen? Either with the new or old monitor.

Also, please post a screenshot of the RTSS frametime graph overlay while the stutters happen.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

diakou

Post by diakou » 13 Oct 2020, 17:38

Can you by any chance let me know what ram you have? (specific model + general info on what it's being ran at, something like speccy would show everything needed in the ram tab, but that's extra, link to specific model / make sure you also check that it's being ran at the model's speed/rates (XMP rates advertised or non-xmp rates)

Just to completely toss out any possibility of your framepacing from (possible ram related) (0.1 / 1) % fps lows being messy. Just average FPS itself can be very misleading to what is actually going on under the hood with hitching/micro-stutters and what not.

SixelAlexiS

Post by SixelAlexiS » 01 Sep 2021, 17:42

Sorry for the bump but I'm having the same issues on the LG GN24600 (FreeSync monitor) on a GTX 1060 6 GB.
As soon I enable the g-sync (fullscreen mode) then games start to stutter/microfreeze, those freezes can get quite severe too.
Tried multiple games, both first and third person and they runs fine without g-sync but start doing those freezes as soon I enable g-sync.

Everything is correct in terms of cap (it does that with RTSS cap and internal caps) but it just seems that is an issue related to the 1000 series:
https://twitter.com/pcmonitors/status/1 ... 0258312193

This is really unfortunate since I was looking forward for using g-sync on this monitor and I don't think there is a fix for that :(