DayZ and Gsync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
damstr

DayZ and Gsync

Post by damstr » 01 May 2014, 16:54

I got the game a couple days ago and what I noticed is that when I play the game my monitor immediately caps to 85Hz even when the game is doing 84FPS for example.

Also even though Gsync is working in the game (according to the monitors OSD menu gsync is on) the game is still a stuttery mess. Even tried with a single 780 thinking maybe SLI was causing some issues but its pretty much the same result.

Any idea why my monitor is getting locked to 85Hz?

Actually now that I think about it, my monitor was getting locked to 85Hz even when I wasn't using GSync. Officially lost. :?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: DayZ and Gsync

Post by RealNC » 01 May 2014, 18:39

Does the game support full screen? Some games don't and use a windowed fullscreen mode instead. It looks like fullscreen, but it isn't.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 02 May 2014, 05:19

Some games just are a stuttery mess. G-sync can't really help engine related stuttering.

For example, the only way to get a fluid frame rate with GTA IV (and I mean REAL fluid, you connoisseurs round here should know what I'm on about) is to run 1/3 refresh vsync on 120hz, cap at 40 fps at driver level or with dxtory (doesn't matter about that refresh or frame rate, but it needs to be something you never drop under), then alt tab out of the game and start mucking around with affinity core settings in task manager (ie, if it's a HT i7, disable the last 2 threads, or disable all HT cores, or enable 3 real cores only). Also, you have to cap the frame rate at 39 fps or lower temporarily with dxtory, so that you don't spend 3 minutes at the loading screen, it's insane.

But yeah, try forcing higher refresh from nvidia inspector/control panel

damstr

Post by damstr » 03 May 2014, 04:10

RealNC wrote:Does the game support full screen? Some games don't and use a windowed fullscreen mode instead. It looks like fullscreen, but it isn't.
Well Gsync is only enabled when in fullscreen mode. Again I'm going off the OSD monitor menu and checking it in game to see it says gsync in the mode type.

schwat

Post by schwat » 14 May 2014, 12:18

In nvidia control panel under Manage 3d Settings try setting "Preferred refresh rate" to "Highest Available" instead of "Application controlled".

This has fixed the problem I've had where some games have capped my refresh rate to something below the monitors refresh rate.