Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
d3f

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by d3f » 08 Oct 2020, 12:52

I’ve had my monitor for about a week now. Twice this week (every 3-4 days) when I powered on my computer the image for windows/boot/bios could not display colors properly. The OSD menu was unaffected.

The first time this happened, I replaced the DP cable and the image appeared normally, I thought maybe I had a bad cable. The second time, I disconnected the DP cable and connected another device via HDMI, same issue. I reseated the power cable from the back of the monitor, and the image appeared normally.

I checked the DP cable I thought was bad from the the first time this happened on another monitor, it worked normally.

I saw a user on another forum with the same issue.
Attachments
9261DB3C-485A-426E-909C-9C96ED3C51D3.jpeg
9261DB3C-485A-426E-909C-9C96ED3C51D3.jpeg (33.56 KiB) Viewed 6480 times

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 08 Oct 2020, 22:59

d3f wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 12:52
It's supposeed builded with high quality electronic components, and pass good quality control. Lest hope this is not the reason, or game over.

Check than DP cable not touch any power cable.

Make sure PC Case is free of static electricity. All PCIe cards touch metal case where it is screwed. And DP connector metal is directly touching here.

Try another DP port.

Maybe the GPU is unstable at 360Hz, if 360 fail and changed to 240Hz is solved ? again 360 again fail ?

Several recent custom RTX 3080 can't maintain its factory overclock at max load due to caps issue. Due to this cut quality plague, maybe this OC unstability also extend to DP port if you have one of these cards.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 09 Oct 2020, 09:25

RLCScontender wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 07:25
upon seeing TFT's UFO tests. That confirms that i will pass from buying this monitor

To me, there's too much inverse ghosting on OD normal and there's too much ghosting on OD OFF on their optimal refresh rate.

luckily, there are FOUR other options when it comes to 360hz monitors so i will wait until the other four gets released.

Anyway, if you enjoy this monitor, more power to ya. I'm not discouraging anyone here. Because my personal preferences as an esports professional may differ from someone who isn't. So what I find unacceptable maybe acceptable to you.
Lots of potentially good options coming. Would have loved to see the MSI version as I think it's ridiculous ASUS will invest in software that controls lighting but not actual functionality like MSI or Omen's. Luckily, I just prefer the eSports option and out of the box is calibrated about as accurate as you can get but still.

I really really hope Pro teams like ENCE don't suffer dearly. Bless their hearts. :lol:

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 09 Oct 2020, 09:39

canx66 wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 19:25
Its available in my country. I saved up the money but I cant buy it bc I afraid to regret the buy bc I didnt wait for the R Version with the Analyzer, which is probably coming on november (Like the MSI 360 Hz monitor with Reflex analyzer.)

I wondering if it be able to measure things like OS settings, tweaks, registry changes on and on. Or ist just measuring the Hardware wise Latency. Whats your opinion?

Sorry for my english, Iam from germany.
My opinion is it has an analyzer. It does not enable Reflex. Reflex you can do this now with any monitor and the software having the support. It doesn't seem like a bad idea to wait a bit to see what else is coming out though.

Personally there are a lot of reasons to hold off on things. Various monitors are coming, new CPUs, and GPU's are here or on their way. I tried to get a 3090 day one but committed to waiting to see what AMD had to offer and due to nVidia's launch fails its beginning to look more and more like that was the best case scenario. I game @ 1080p thus the 1080p display and this is where I need to see performance. I need the GPU that provides the highest FPS @ 1080p with whatever CPU has the highest OC potential (i.e., would be like if the 5900 OC higher than 5950). I do hate how AMD typically holds embargos until day of launch. Super annoying. If I end up with a AMD GPU and they pull off something neat like better 1080p performance than the 3090 or even if its close to the 3080 on launch, lets say slightly underperforming, knowing future games should run better on AMD hardware due to the consoles that extra GSync tax we pay for the PG259QN or PG259QNR for the module doesn't make sense for immediate use. We're a month from having a lot of questions answered that will be my upgrade path until this time next year and 5nm hits. Just my opinions and usage case but seems like there is nothing wrong with a little bit of patience if you're questioning the need for analyzer.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 09 Oct 2020, 09:48

d3f wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 12:52
I’ve had my monitor for about a week now. Twice this week (every 3-4 days) when I powered on my computer the image for windows/boot/bios could not display colors properly. The OSD menu was unaffected.

The first time this happened, I replaced the DP cable and the image appeared normally, I thought maybe I had a bad cable. The second time, I disconnected the DP cable and connected another device via HDMI, same issue. I reseated the power cable from the back of the monitor, and the image appeared normally.

I checked the DP cable I thought was bad from the the first time this happened on another monitor, it worked normally.

No idea if this would help, but did you install this, https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-Sw ... _Download/

Do you have VRR enabled for Windows or any other gaming prioritization enabled in Windows (aside from Game mode)?

Edit: I'd contact the ASUS regardless. When you switched Display ports was the device left powered on? If the OSD was unaffected especially where the black is it seems like something else. As mentioned are you running a 3000 series card? Are you set to 8 bit 1080p @ 360hz Full RGB?
  • Download latest GPU drivers and DDU
  • Safe mode no networking and DDU GPU drivers
  • Booting back normally make sure your NIC is UNPLUGGED and there is no wireless connectivity
  • Install Drivers only. No USB C, no Geforce Experience, just drivers
See if it happens again.

Are you plugged into a battery back up, powerstrip, or directly into the wall?

d3f

Post by d3f » 09 Oct 2020, 10:28

Hi All, thank you for the responses!

AddictFPS - DP cable is not touching any power cable or any other cable.

Alpha - I do have the ASUS monitor drivers installed, I installed it a day or two after I received my monitor. I do not have VRR or other prioritizations enabled. Also, this issue does occur when I enter my motherboard BIOS as well as during boot. When I switched display ports, the monitor was powered off. I would be running a 3000 series card if I could get my hands on a Strix lol, currently I'm using a 2080ti. Monitor is plugged in to a power strip, different from the one it was connected to when this issue happened twice before. I've also download the latest drivers and DDU.

I've called ASUS support, they recommended I either send the monitor back to them or return to my retailer. I'm going to initiate an RMA, considering this has happened twice already and I know of another user that is experiencing the same issue I don't want to take a chance it might get worse.

The monitor is absolutely amazing otherwise, I have no issues with it's performance.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 09 Oct 2020, 16:02

d3f wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 10:28
Hi All, thank you for the responses!

AddictFPS - DP cable is not touching any power cable or any other cable.

Alpha - I do have the ASUS monitor drivers installed, I installed it a day or two after I received my monitor. I do not have VRR or other prioritizations enabled. Also, this issue does occur when I enter my motherboard BIOS as well as during boot. When I switched display ports, the monitor was powered off. I would be running a 3000 series card if I could get my hands on a Strix lol, currently I'm using a 2080ti. Monitor is plugged in to a power strip, different from the one it was connected to when this issue happened twice before. I've also download the latest drivers and DDU.

I've called ASUS support, they recommended I either send the monitor back to them or return to my retailer. I'm going to initiate an RMA, considering this has happened twice already and I know of another user that is experiencing the same issue I don't want to take a chance it might get worse.

The monitor is absolutely amazing otherwise, I have no issues with it's performance.
That is a trip. OSD is fine really makes it seem like the display isn't the issue but better safe than sorry!!! What type of turn around did they tell you to expect?

d3f

Post by d3f » 10 Oct 2020, 15:11

Alpha wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 16:02
That is a trip. OSD is fine really makes it seem like the display isn't the issue but better safe than sorry!!! What type of turn around did they tell you to expect?
Yeah it definitely is a trip, I've never experienced anything so sporadic before with a monitor.

I called Newegg and they told me to return for a replacement, since there is no stock, it will probably convert to a refund. My only concern is that if/when the monitor is inspected it will function normally as this issue only occurs every few days. The customer service rep did note in the RMA that the issue sporadic, occurring every few days. We'll see what happens...

I was able to purchase a 3090, it should be here on Tuesday, I'll install it and see the if the issue happens again.

schove2

Post by schove2 » 12 Oct 2020, 13:44

Can chief blur buster or anyone with this monitor can verify if this monitor supports “perform scaling” on display in the nvidia settings? I know it has GPU but I want to know if it has display.

charlychad

Post by charlychad » 13 Oct 2020, 04:06

I personally returned the monitor yesterday.

Really disapointed asus showed competitive esport player when there is a lack of a real shadow boost for exemple.
I had other problem too with colors and brightness for competitive mostly , but the main problem was the shadow boost.
And even after some hours of settings it up the best i could, my performance were worse.

i keep my xl2540 as my main competitive display.