Dear ViewSonic: Please Add 60 Hz Single-Strobe for PureXP on XG270

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Nintendude

Re: Dear ViewSonic: Please Add 60 Hz Single-Strobe for PureXP on XG270

Post by Nintendude » 30 Aug 2020, 04:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 10:52
Nintendude wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 06:27
My LG 4k tv is terrible with tv/films but with games
I assume it's not the LG C9 (50% blur reduction for 60Hz) or LG CX series (75% blur reduction for 60Hz)

The new LGs do a much better job of blur reduction via rolling-scan OLED BFI.
Thanks for the response. I just have a few questions, if anyone has any info it would be much appreciated:

1. For old console gaming (8-Bit > Switch) which is the better option regarding motion blur - OLED with 60hz rolling-scan (LG CX) or gaming monitor with 60hz single strobe (one of the two monitor brands mentioned that have been persuaded to add the option)?

2. Does either option have less/more flicker or dimming?

3. Does (will) a monitor with 60hz single strobe have more adjustments than a TV for amount of flicker etc that would be beneficial?

A monitor would be cheaper and smaller than the LG CX but the TV may be the easier option if I'm not interested in high end PC gaming...

Thanks a lot :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Aug 2020, 15:53

Variables, variables.
Nintendude wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 04:56
1. For old console gaming (8-Bit > Switch) which is the better option regarding motion blur - OLED with 60hz rolling-scan (LG CX) or gaming monitor with 60hz single strobe (one of the two monitor brands mentioned that have been persuaded to add the option)?
For the same MPRT number, there is no motion blur difference.

However, strobed LCDs are currently capable of briefer flashes than strobed OLEDs (global or rolling or otherwise).

You'll currently get less motion blur and less latency with a 60Hz single-strobe monitor, but you might get more strobe crosstalk (trailing faint afterimage), but less flicker and far better colors with the CX OLED.
Nintendude wrote:
2. Does either option have less/more flicker or dimming?
Dimming is rouighly the same, it's usually proportional to MPRT, halving the MPRT while keeping Hz the same, will usually halve the lumens, without voltage-boosted driving (flashing brighter to compensate for dim periods).

Flicker is less with a rolling strobe, since somewhere is usually illuminated somewhere at some time, creating a more constant flow of photons hitting your eyeballs. This is what CRTs did (rolling-scan impulse driven display), and is a gentle flicker than a global strobe.
Nintendude wrote:
3. Does (will) a monitor with 60hz single strobe have more adjustments than a TV for amount of flicker etc that would be beneficial?
Not necessarily. Both can be equally MPRT-adjustable. However, strobed LCDs can go <1ms MPRT, while strobed OLED generally only reach as low as ~4ms MPRT (direct view) and ~2ms MPRT (virtual reality). This may change in the future.

Overall, as a general rule of thumb (at least this was the case for 2019):

Colors: LG CX wins
Lag: LCD strobe wins
Flicker: LG CX wins
Adjustability: LCD strobe usually wins (model dependent)
Brightness: Draw (depends on settings)
60Hz Single Strobe Capability: LG CX wins

The fact that 60Hz single strobe is very rare in LCD is a problem (although 3 models are coming in 2021 that will have 60Hz single strobe).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Nintendude

Post by Nintendude » 01 Sep 2020, 07:00

Thank you so much for your response Chief. Can I just ask:
You'll currently get less motion blur and less latency with a 60Hz single-strobe monitor, but you might get more strobe crosstalk (trailing faint afterimage), but less flicker and far better colors with the CX OLED.
Just to clarify - which out of the monitor and OLED TV has more strobe crosstalk?

The fact that 60Hz single strobe is very rare in LCD is a problem (although 3 models are coming in 2021 that will have 60Hz single strobe).

I know one company is Eve Spectrum and you have an NDA for one other but can you name the third company that will offer 60hz single strobe?

Thank you so much :)

diakou

Post by diakou » 01 Sep 2020, 17:45

Nintendude wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 07:00
Thank you so much for your response Chief. Can I just ask:
Just to clarify - which out of the monitor and OLED TV has more strobe crosstalk?

I know one company is Eve Spectrum and you have an NDA for one other but can you name the third company that will offer 60hz single strobe?

Thank you so much :)
Is this for melee purposes?

elexor

Post by elexor » 01 Sep 2020, 19:04

I have not seen a 60hz single strobe monitor with 99% of crosstalk gone yet. I would be interested in knowing if the chief has? one of my benq's come's close but i still can't hide the crosstalk band.

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 18 Oct 2020, 17:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 May 2020, 18:31
Dave1980 wrote:
22 May 2020, 11:23
Any news on it or is it dead ?
It’s not dead. Just may need to wait until a future model of ViewSonic monitor, they are currently aware of this thread.
Makes me wonder if hexedits or other relatively simple patches to the firmware could achieve 60hz single strobe - if viewsonic won't give it to us without asking us to buy another monitor and it's often a 1 line of code fix anyway...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Oct 2020, 22:49

GammaLyrae wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 17:46
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 May 2020, 18:31
Dave1980 wrote:
22 May 2020, 11:23
Any news on it or is it dead ?
It’s not dead. Just may need to wait until a future model of ViewSonic monitor, they are currently aware of this thread.
Makes me wonder if hexedits or other relatively simple patches to the firmware could achieve 60hz single strobe - if viewsonic won't give it to us without asking us to buy another monitor and it's often a 1 line of code fix anyway...
A couple of advanced BenQ users did that with their firmwares using the Linux instructions for backing up / restoring firmwares.

Due to good relations with manufacturs / NDAs and such I cannot assist any users on dumping, editing, and reuploading firmwares even though it's generally technically possible to do on some models of monitors. And it may brick / void warranty / etc. Do at own risk.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 30 Oct 2020, 14:18

Viewsonic plan unlock single strobe in XG270 ? Any official response ? Only a line change in firmware, but months of silence. They should at least say us if they want do it or not, and if not, the reason. Say nothing is more fustrant than say not.

I read months ago Viewsonic plan release 55" OLED 4K 120Hz monitor in this same Elite gaming series, extremely fast 0.5ms GtG 4.16ms MPRT XG550. Now with TV LG CX OLED 48" in the market, i think Viewsonic should take this new size panel, 55 is insane. Even 48 is very huge, but none smaller currently from LG.

I hope Viewsonic OLED Elite monitor come also with BlurBusters Approved, with unlocked BFI motion blur reduction mode to 50-120Hz range.

LG TV support at least 50, 60, 100, 120Hz with BFI Motion Pro. Not know if they allow customized also in betwhen. 50 (default) and 100 (HFR) is the Europe TV signal standard, 60 and 120 US standard. Moreover, thanks to OLED rolling scan Vs LCD full screen strobe, 50 and 60Hz flicker is less agressive. I think flicker is the real reason of Viewsonic silence about XG270 single strobe unlock. Eye care.

If desktop table is enought, and removed SmartTV things allow moderated price, using GPU with 1:1 and integer scaling support in drivers, we can use OLED 48" like 24" 1920x1080 or 36" 2560x1440, with the rest of screen black. Customized size, not need allways use it at 48".

Maybe XG270 never get the unlock, but if Viewsonic finally release the OLED monitor, i think this time they add unlocked BFI.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/views ... ay-CES2020

https://www.geeks3d.com/20190820/nvidia ... n-1-1-109/

Waiting less size OLED panels from LG, to accomodate this amazing technology to all users preferences, and prices !

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Oct 2020, 19:47

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Dec 2020, 22:39

Big push for 2021 as part of the Blur Busters Approved 2.0 Program for post-covid reboot (4 monitors in queue)
As 2021 rolls around, we are going to speak louder about lack of 60 Hz single strobe support.

Why Should Gaming Monitor Manufacturers Add 60 Hz Single Strobe?
  1. There is 60 years of legacy 60fps 60Hz content. Videos, recordings, consoles, emulators, retro, etc.
    SOLUTION: Need 60Hz single-strobe support to reduce motion blur of legacy 60fps content. Single-strobe isn't for eye-searcing bright Windows desktop. 60Hz single-strobe is for SIXTY YEARS of existing legacy content, video/dvd/videotape/sports/youtube/consoles/emulators/etc. Testing departments (QA) should correctly test 60Hz single strobe on correct 60fps content.
    -
  2. Beginning in 2021, Blur Busters Approved makes 60Hz single-strobe mandatory.
    SOLUTION: Add menu ("Enable 60Hz Single Strobe [ON/OFF]") with it OFF by default to prevent user complaints. Advanced users should be able to intentionally enable this setting.
    -
  3. Strobing should be supported at all supported refresh rates.
    SOLUTION: Add menu ("Unlock Unsuppored Strobe Refresh Rates [ON/OFF]") to prevent user complaints. As Intel lets people unlock CPU clocks, monitor manufacturers should enable advanced users to uncap strobe ranges.
    -
  4. Most newer TVs support 60Hz single strobe
    SOLUTION: Just like for televisions, please let gaming monitors choose 60Hz s ingle-strobe. Not everyone is bothered by flicker. Sony 4K TVs, LG 4K TVs and Samsung 4K TVs now all support 60Hz single-strobe in Gaming Mode.
    -
  5. More users don't mind 60Hz single strobe than managers/engineers/lawyers at display manufacturers
    SOLUTION: Just add warning message ("Warning 60Hz Will Flicker. Discontinue If You Have Discomfort") to cover your bases, even if manufacturer employees don't like 60 Hz single strobe.
    -
  6. More and more reviewers lowers scores for monitors that don't support 60Hz single-strobe.
    SOLUTION: Just see the screenshot below from the RTINGS website! Please add 60 Hz single strobe support if you don't want lower review scores resulting in lower sales for your monitor!