Vsync + ULMB/LightBoost possible?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
haven

Vsync + ULMB/LightBoost possible?

Post by haven » 04 Jul 2016, 05:39

These are my non-negotiables for my next monitor purchase:

- Able to see (not so rediculously dim you can't actually see).
- No motion blur (UFO test perfect to human perception / CRT like).
- No tearing (and I mean none).

I don't mind low refresh rates, imperfect colors or a bit of input lag.

Is this possible with today's technology? And if so, what is the lowest FPS it would work at (would be nice if I don't have to buy dual GTX1080's)?

I thought I'd buy a G-sync monitor, run ULMB at 85 hz and use vsync (not G-sync, just vsync=on in game settings). However, an Asus marketing rep, talking about the PG279Q, told me, "Enabling Vsync essentially means you will be limited to 60Hz refreshment rate, hence cannot work with ULMB".

Does that rep sound right to you? Since when was vsync limited to 60 hz? Shouldn't you be able to enable strobing and still wait for redraws at whatever refresh rate that gives you? I can't think of any reason why not.

Is there any other anti-motion blur technology which allows vsync=on? Is there a monitor which does blur reduction with an extremely high refresh rate (160+ hz), to make tearing unnoticeable?

Open to any ideas which would help me achieve my goals. Thanks!

Trip

Re: Vsync + ULMB/LightBoost possible?

Post by Trip » 04 Jul 2016, 05:46

that rep didnt know what he was talking about then or there is something special about that monitor. Vsync doesnt mean 60 fps it just means the gpu will sync with monitor refresh rate. So that means the gpu will run at 85 fps if your monitor runs at 85 hz. Also vsync + ulmb is a good combo ulmb already gives you input latency adding vsync to that will not influence the end result a lot at all. If you can sustain that frame rate it is a very smooth experience. The only negative over a crt with this is that there is more input latency.

HavenGames

Post by HavenGames » 19 Oct 2020, 21:14

Update on this. Asus has achieved this technology. They call it "ELMB Sync".

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Oct 2020, 22:48

You just necro'd (bumped up an old thread), but I see you must be the original poster? (given yoru nickname, you might have forgotten the password to your old login?)

Yeah, there's other ELMB Sync threads now.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!