I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Oct 2020, 13:09

lyrill wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 12:27
resident 70/78 custom vers user. wait so you mean if I live next to Canada servers (assuming) then it's more accurate?
(1) TestUFO and Blur Busters servers are located in Chicago because of the North America wide traffic patterns. In addition Blur Busters and TestUFO main site uses a CDN to lower site-load latency wordwide.

Thus both TestUFO is on an upgraded (paid) CloudFare CDN, now capable of handling DDoS-league surge traffic, so it is generally reasonably fast worldwide now. Since this upgrade, TestUFO can handle tens of thousands of simultaneous users.

Mind you, about 15% of TestUFO traffic now come from China / Taiwan / Hong Kong -- manufacturers there seem to be more eager than North American companies to keep up with the refresh rate race to retina refresh rates. Many monitor manufacturers are headquartered in Taiwan (like ASUS and ViewSonic) and they also often outsource to mainland vendors for various portions of the manufacturing chain.

(2) That said, there is NO EFFECT in accuracy of TestUFO motion tests due to Internet latency because tests only begin after all assets are loaded -- even TestUFO continues running offline after you cache it. (1. Load TestUFO, 2. Select all tests you want to run offline, 3. Unplug WiFi or Ethernet, 4. Then all cached TestUFO tests works offline until you leave TestUFO or close the browser). Offline TestUFO is also handy for situations such as testing TVs in a Best Buy by plugging your laptop into the various HDMI inputs.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

csplayer

Post by csplayer » 20 Oct 2020, 21:59

MaxTendency wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 16:35
While I'm pretty convinced that 8k hz mouse polling is going to be not only noticeable but also impactful , I'm starting to wonder how much keyboard polling will affect this. High keyboard polling has known to destabilize the mouse polling and vice versa.

For example this is a 1khz mouse polling on an optimized setup with a 125hz keyboard. As you can see the variance is quite little, barely 1hz.

This is the same mouse but the keyboard is wooting one set to 1k hz. All of a sudden the variance is 20hz. Looks like windows can't even fully handle 1k hz keyboard and mouse at the same time.

With keyboards now supporting 4k hz polling like the Corsair K100, I'm curious how will this affect the stability of 8k hz mouse polling. Seeing that a 1k hz keyboard is enough to destabilize a mouse set to just 1k hz, a 4k hz keyboard would probably trash the stability of a 8k hz mouse.
Sorry for a strange question but how do you make your mousetester look like that?
If i zoom in that much so i get this weird line.
This is how it looks like for me. https://imgur.com/B2oW3bQ
What i meant is, how can you zoom in to 0.1hz precision on the y axis without the x axis zooming in too much?
If i zoom in so much as you it would show me from data point 600 to 620.

MaxTendency

Post by MaxTendency » 21 Oct 2020, 00:50

csplayer wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 21:59
Sorry for a strange question but how do you make your mousetester look like that?
What i meant is, how can you zoom in to 0.1hz precision on the y axis without the x axis zooming in too much?
Its not zoomed it. If you want to achieve stable polling like that, you'll have to optimize your BIOS and OS for max performance. Calypto's Latency Guide is a really good start.

Once you have your bios and os optimized, other random things that can help are
  • Having your mouse and kb at optimal ports (each mobo is different so you'll have to figure that out yourself)
  • Keeping OS bloat free (use lightweight alternative when possible)
  • Good cable management (ideally you want none of the cables touching each other)
  • Installing w7. Windows 7 generally has lower latency as well as superior polling compared to w10. Dual boot is usually ideal. (Go down to the misc links in the calypto guide for instructions on how to install w7 on modern mobo)

csplayer

Post by csplayer » 21 Oct 2020, 03:00

MaxTendency wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 00:50
csplayer wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 21:59
Its not zoomed it. If you want to achieve stable polling like that, you'll have to optimize your BIOS and OS for max performance. Calypto's Latency Guide is a really good start.

• Having your mouse and kb at optimal ports (each mobo is different so you'll have to figure that out yourself)
  • Good cable management (ideally you want none of the cables touching each other)
  • Installing w7. Windows 7 generally has lower latency as well as superior polling compared to w10. Dual boot is usually ideal. (Go down to the misc links in the calypto guide for instructions on how to install w7 on modern mobo)
I understand now, i was so confused. It means your polling didnt go below 990 in the testing also thanks for the suggestions, i will try my best to follow them and see where it takes me. However i do think my current motherboard has some issues, i always had better polling on my previous one.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 21 Oct 2020, 05:25

MaxTendency wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 00:50

That's very interesting. I've saved that, thanks for sharing! ;)

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 21 Oct 2020, 07:02

i've used win7 from 2013 to 2020 on the same 3570k, and just paid heavy bucks for a 2070s 10700k win10 rig like half month before rtx30 price announce. now you telling me i have to go back to win7 and do all these technical bits I never bothered to delve into for max latency reduc?? I guess I'll do it when I have the cash/care to upgrade to rtx5090 and some 500hz monitor

Post by 1995 » 21 Oct 2020, 12:50

Sorry for off-topic, but can a USB external sound card affect the variance for mouse/keyboard?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Oct 2020, 14:14

1995 wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 12:50
Sorry for off-topic, but can a USB external sound card affect the variance for mouse/keyboard?
If it's in the same USB tree, possibly. Check your USB tree structure to make sure your internal hub isn't sharing continuous-bandwidth with an ultrahigh-pollrate device (4000Hz or 8000Hz). Play USB port roulette until they're on separate roots and you're usually golden. Purchase USB 3.0 PCI Express card as necessary (they're cheap, $30) to dedicate 4000Hz+ pollrate devices to them.

I purchased one and it actually made a difference to my 8000Hz mouse on a port-clogged system. At 1000Hz it is less important but at 8000Hz, USB traffic can crazily jitter things around on shared internal hubs. Many motherboards put 4 motherboard ports onto the same USB hub; that can be a problem when running multiple high pollrate / high bandwidth devices simultaneously.

You don't need high bandwidth, but a high bandwidth USB device can keep a hub busy for more than 0.125us, and another high pollrate device can contend a hub to degrade pollrate accuracy of 0.125us polls.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

CortexFPS

Post by CortexFPS » 22 Oct 2020, 14:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 14:33
ffs_ wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 11:20
I use 400 DPI, 1000 hz and 1.8 sensitivity in CS:GO. Tried to play with 0.45 & 1600 DPI, but it was almost impossible to aim. Perhaps I'm too used to 400 DPI after 20 years of playing... or high DPI is rather suitable for high sensitivity players (1000+ eDPI) and doesn't make too much sense for those who prefer low sensitivity. Or should I get out of my comfort zone and force myself to get used to 1600 dpi just because it supposed to be "better" in theory? 🤔🤔🤔
See above, Razer just explained the problem -- older games didn't do subpixel motion correctly, while several modern games can do it properly.

The litmus test is that fast flick turns should feel identical for both high and low sensitivity. If a game properly processes it, then that's what happens.
PixelDuck87 wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 11:40
I find lower dpi works as a "filter" for me, it doesn't pick up micro-movements as much. Like how its easier to draw a straight line with 400dpi than 1600 dpi. Since my aim movements are more like Z pattern rather than S pattern i'd much rather prefer low dpi also...
This also makes sense -- the wide ranging user preferences is quite important.

Also, I will also acknowledge the game-dependance of the DPI processing. Flawed algorithms, unintentional game-side smoothing, unintentional acceleration behaviors (caused by old game engine math not designed for modern mice), etc. Software are imperfect black boxes that a mouse must contend with.

I'll add the caveat of many factors.
-- It's like how certain esports player love to use exaggerated overdrive (while camping still as a sniper) as a motion-tracer feature, since the overdrive artifacts amplifies the visibility of moving objects.
-- Or temporarily wreck their color calibration color gamut with a bleached gamma of a shadow-boost feature to see things in shadows better.
-- Or use low DPI as a stepping-ruler feature (feel the ticks of coarseness) or a non-artificially-smoothed hand-motion-error filtering feature.

All Right Tools for the Right Job.

Myself, I am a motion perfectionist, and I like Gametime-to-Photons as perfect sync as possible, as frequently as possible, to simulate analog motion as accurately as possible.

Alas, we are opening so many Pandora's Boxes, eh?

Boss, I used 400/800 dpi but since I read your posts about the advantage of using high dpi, I am using 3200 dpi and I have reached a level never seen in Valorant, you manage to have control over every single pixel of the screen, with a great fluidity of movement !!! Unfortunately, fps players all over the world don't understand what they are missing out on, and I believe they won't experience this "magic" for many years to come.
The only drawback is that unfortunately in many games there is difficulty in customization regarding the sensitivity, but everything else is fantastic, you are brilliant boss !!!!
In use: 27GR95QE-B | XG2431
Used before: PG248QP | XL2566K | XL2546K/S | XV252QF | AW2521H | VG259QM | PG279QM | AW2721D
Mouse: OP1 8K | Zaunkoenig M2K
Keyboard: Wooting 60HE
PC: 5800x3D; RTX 3080

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Oct 2020, 15:55

Right on!

CS:GO does admittedly have apparent subtle issues with high DPI, but Valorant is absolutely bliss with 3200dpi (if mouse can do it natively).