Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
JLR

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by JLR » 13 Oct 2020, 10:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 19:44
I also have the PG259QN here.
I'm a motion-quality nut more than a latency nut (though I want both). I am picky about all motion artifacts (blur, tearing, stutter), so 360Hz G-SYNC almost looks like stutterless LightBoost (nearly blurless sample-and-hold).
I want to upgrade from 4k 144hz to 360hz and never used strobing before. I need it for FPS (Valorant) only.
Should I go for Zowie with 240hz AMA & DyAc+ or 360hz PG259QN then?

The ufo-tests for the Zowie look so incredibly clear, the PG259QN test looks blurred. Which one is more clear and smooth in real life? All people say pro players don't even use DyAc, not sure what to trust and who I should listen too... :(

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 13 Oct 2020, 10:59

charlychad wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 04:06
I personally returned the monitor yesterday.

Really disapointed asus showed competitive esport player when there is a lack of a real shadow boost for exemple.
I had other problem too with colors and brightness for competitive mostly , but the main problem was the shadow boost.
And even after some hours of settings it up the best i could, my performance were worse.

i keep my xl2540 as my main competitive display.
For anyone else playing around with this,

My go to for Shadow Boost is eSports mode with 50% brightness and I believe contrast is also 50% on Level 3 for Shadow Boost. This matches identically with brightness settings and barely visible quite literally showing as barely visible as the default in game menu's. On both my Omens and VG259QM I had to raise the brightness regardless. I would think this would be a lot brighter if Shadow Boost was really showing a huge change. I believe I left this in whatever the monitor defaulted too which wasn't 2.2 gamma and seemed sus as I believe at least Racing Mode is and of course SRBG defaults too 2.2. In NVCP I am RGB Full with Digital Vibrance @ 65% if I recall.

I hope Bijan Jamshidi gets his hands on one of these. His reviews are awesome and you can tell he is a competitive gamer and looking for these exact scenarios and the best usage case. One he uses is Siege and that's a game I love, am pretty good at (playing since alpha and having 3 very high level accounts) and have not had any problems or noticed anything that stands out. I have all ambient sensors disabled on the display. One thing I can say for sure, is in Warzone it can be blinding on some displays when looking towards the "sun" and it's entirely possible it's been patched or dialed back, I haven't noticed it being glaring one time like it was on my VG259QM. I ran level 3 on that display as well. I'll have to hook it up and see or if someone has one hooked up can verify if its still retina melting or fixed. In WZ I leave gamma @ 2.2. In any case, not sure if that's good or bad thing. I don't have any complaints there either and can clearly see in Windows and Super Store is a non issue visually.

I'd like to see a pic of XL2540 with that feature enabled to compare.

charlychad

Post by charlychad » 13 Oct 2020, 11:57

You can see a good exemple of the black equalizer here: https://youtu.be/iied2A7tEc0?t=21
It works exactly as you see in the video.
I've tried side by side on call of duty warzone and natural selection 2(wich benefit of the high refresh rate) the xl 2540 with black equalier set to max and the PG259QN 360hz with many different settings.
If it was bright enough in dark areas, it was way too bright outside on the PG259QN . and if the brightness was normal outside, it was way too dark in dark areas on the PG259QN.

On the benq xl2540, no problem when i'm in dark areas, i can see without problem, and outside, never too bright.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Oct 2020, 12:20

JLR wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 10:24
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 19:44
I also have the PG259QN here.
I'm a motion-quality nut more than a latency nut (though I want both). I am picky about all motion artifacts (blur, tearing, stutter), so 360Hz G-SYNC almost looks like stutterless LightBoost (nearly blurless sample-and-hold).
I want to upgrade from 4k 144hz to 360hz and never used strobing before. I need it for FPS (Valorant) only.
Should I go for Zowie with 240hz AMA & DyAc+ or 360hz PG259QN then?

The ufo-tests for the Zowie look so incredibly clear, the PG259QN test looks blurred. Which one is more clear and smooth in real life? All people say pro players don't even use DyAc, not sure what to trust and who I should listen too... :(
DyAc strobing is still clearer. Refresh rates are not yet high enough to match strobing motion quality without strobing.

But if you hate strobing, and want the least motion blur that is possible today, it is hard to beat 280Hz thru 360Hz. We're hitting true 3ms MPRT territory strobelessly now!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 13 Oct 2020, 15:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxEMham8GKY
Reflex Latency Analyzer first look that comes with the R models

CortexFPS

Help 280hz vs 360hz

Post by CortexFPS » 15 Oct 2020, 03:17

Goodmorning everyone,
I have been following this forum for a long time but this is the first time I write, so I hope I have posted in the right section. I currently have a rog xg258q but I am not satisfied and I would like to change, the blur bothers me a lot. I mainly play valorant, csgo, apex and overwatch and look for the maximum competitive advantage in terms of responsiveness / blur.
I have identified 2 possible substitutes, vg259qm and pg259qn, between the 2 there is a difference of € 300, money is not a problem, but if the difference is minimal, then the savings could be justified.
I would be more directed to 280hz given the numerous positive comments found on the forum, but I would not regret the choice given the beginning of the 360hz era, also because better models of the new pg259qn could be released in the coming months

P.S. as an enthusiast like you, I congratulate everyone for the professionalism and passion you have on this site (sorry for my English)
In use: 27GR95QE-B | XG2431
Used before: PG248QP | XL2566K | XL2546K/S | XV252QF | AW2521H | VG259QM | PG279QM | AW2721D
Mouse: OP1 8K | Zaunkoenig M2K
Keyboard: Wooting 60HE
PC: 5800x3D; RTX 3080

Stevie66

Re: Help 280hz vs 360hz

Post by Stevie66 » 15 Oct 2020, 11:28

CortexFPS wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 03:17
Goodmorning everyone,
I have been following this forum for a long time but this is the first time I write, so I hope I have posted in the right section. I currently have a rog xg258q but I am not satisfied and I would like to change, the blur bothers me a lot. I mainly play valorant, csgo, apex and overwatch and look for the maximum competitive advantage in terms of responsiveness / blur.
I have identified 2 possible substitutes, vg259qm and pg259qn, between the 2 there is a difference of € 300, money is not a problem, but if the difference is minimal, then the savings could be justified.
I would be more directed to 280hz given the numerous positive comments found on the forum, but I would not regret the choice given the beginning of the 360hz era, also because better models of the new pg259qn could be released in the coming months

P.S. as an enthusiast like you, I congratulate everyone for the professionalism and passion you have on this site (sorry for my English)
The vg259qm in my opinion is the best 240-280hz IPS monitor out now, but looking at reviews the pg259qn has even lower input lag and response time, but ufo shots show it has a bit of coronas around it on the optimal overdrive, people say you won't notice it in gaming but that's something you'd have to experience yourself to see. The other upcoming 360hz monitors could be tuned even better than the Asus but you'd have to wait and see.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 17 Oct 2020, 19:58

http://blog.livedoor.jp/wisteriear/arch ... 81557.html
Some Asian review, also compares it to the Zowie XL2746S and others. Doesn't look like he's following the ufo in the pursuit tests, not too sure about his input delay tests either, but it's something.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 21 Oct 2020, 11:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LikiFdmRIBM
Benq looking like the response time king in this review with the testing method they use, Asus 360hz is second place and still a lot better than the 280hz Asus (not counting those huge OLED TVs)
Either that k Benq is better tuned than the s version or the 25" is just a better panel than the 27" verison

workerONE

Post by workerONE » 22 Oct 2020, 18:52

I got mine today- perfect so far. Super happy because last month I ordered an Aorus KD25F which was then cancelled as discontinued. Then I drove 2+ hours each way to get a PG259QN which had a broken screen, so I'm happy this one works and doesn't have stuck pixels. The motion is really good. After using a VG248QE w/ lightboost for the last few years, I'm impressed. I set up g-sync and rtss like this https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ttings/14/