BenQ Zowie XL2546K 240hz TN

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Conan

Re: BenQ Zowie XL2546K 240hz TN

Post by Conan » 31 Oct 2020, 20:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 20:05
Conan wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 19:17
if you check blur busters images from 360hz and 240hz dyac+.
No shit sherlock, strobed beats even 1000Hz.

Hahaha but why change something that works right?
I know some people dont prefer strobing and headaches and w/e. But if it works...
Its pretty good so far.
I'm really interested whats benq holding up in their sleeve with their holding off with taking step into 360hz first gen.

Btw chief, I wanted to ask you. Do you think and when, will strobing die off. Like, when could we potentially and why see the end of strobing?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Oct 2020, 20:36

Conan wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 20:23
Btw chief, I wanted to ask you. Do you think and when, will strobing die off. Like, when could we potentially and why see the end of strobing?
It probably won't die off completely.

A sufficiently high-refresh-rate non-strobed displays can emulate a strobed display via software-based CRT tube emulation -- emulate a CRT electron gun at refresh rate granularity, e.g. 1000Hz display emulating a 60Hz CRT tube via a software-based rolling scan. This can be useful for emulators, example: MAME Emulator: Plan Towards Temporal HLSL as well as RetroArch BFIv3.

So a brute refresh rate can emulate a strobed display via software-based strobing, perhaps using HDR headroom combined with rolling scan, to create a sufficiently bright emulation of a CRT electron beam at the millisecond-timescales. This would provide a rolling-strobe via pure software means.

Realistically though, people will generally cease to use strobe-based motion blur reduction with the arrival of sufficiently fast-GtG low-MPRT non-strobed displays of between 480Hz to 1000Hz, assuming frame rate is avaialble to provide blur reduction via sheer framerate alone. But lots of weak links exist, such as the fact that 1000Hz mouse pollrate is now too low for 360Hz display refresh rate.

However -- for pure hardware-based strobing, I would say strobing is increasingly becoming obsolete as we get closer to 1000Hz display refresh rates (and possibly beyond). Refresh rate needs to be upgraded geometrically, e.g. 60Hz->120Hz->240Hz->480Hz->960Hz -- to punch the diminshing curve of returns. 240Hz-vs-360Hz is a tiny upgrade that needs extra work to milk properly (2000Hz+ mouse, ultrahigh framerates in games).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 01 Nov 2020, 04:11

speancer wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 15:59
You actually got me curious, as I haven't played CS:GO in ages - do pros use DyAc (or other motion blur reduction technologies, if not on a BenQ monitor)? You mentioned that you personally don't find it useful, but I'm wondering if other players/ pros feel the same way. I'm assuming there is a consensus (even if pros are ignorant in this regard, they had probably been instructed and briefed to the point where they would, at the very least, try, before coming to a conclusion). Clearly they wouldn't use G-Sync as it is very easy to maintain 240FPS+ in CS:GO, but what about DyAc? I tried to Google it but couldn't really find anything recent on that topic.

Hell, now other games come to mind for that question like Overwatch and Fortnite, for example - faster paced games that can be much more chaotic than CS:GO.

Potatoad

Post by Potatoad » 02 Nov 2020, 00:08

Posting this in case anyone else faces this issue with this monitor.

So I played around a bit with freesync on the XL2546K and got some pretty aggressive artifacts. White/grey bars on the screen that would flicker, mostly during loading screens. After troubleshooting for a while I found that the freesync range in the EDID is set to 24-240hz instead of the 48-240hz range, as listed on the AMD website. After overriding it to 48 with CRU all the issues went away.

Mind you I'm on a Nvidia gpu, and the monitor is not listed as g-sync compatible (yet?). So if you're on an AMD gpu, maybe the driver sets it to the correct range automatically. Though I don't know why they would set the minimum to 24 in the EDID to begin with. Maybe someone else can clear that up.

That's displayport btw, hdmi seems to be set to the correct range according to CRU, though I haven't tested that.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 02 Nov 2020, 00:47

Chief, you know if AUOptronics panel manufacturer, part of BenQ Group, is researching in Blue Phase LCD in order to improve future Zowie eSports monitors ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_phase_mode_LCD
In 2005, researchers from the Centre of Molecular Materials for Photonics and Electronics at the University of Cambridge reported their discovery of a class of blue-phase liquid crystals that remain stable over a range of temperatures as wide as 16-60 °C
To fix GtG oscilations due to room temperature.
Response time compensation by voltage overdriving as currently applied in many LCD panels with 120 Hz frame frequency for improvement of the display of moving images in LCD TVs could become obsolete since the Blue Phase mode features a superior response speed (in the range of 10 - 100 microseconds, see ref. 1), allowing images to be reproduced at 240 Hz frame rate or higher without the need for any overdrive circuit.
Overdrive free, Raw GtG 0.1 ms ! Undershot/overshot free, smearing free without strobing, and crosstalk free with strobing.

Sadly even last generation TN 240Hz with DyAc+ can't hide GtG at 240Hz because it's much more long than 4.16ms, screenshot in this thread show the Raw panel speed, up to 4 Ufo crosstalk trail with AMA Off DyAc+ Premium, where only one should be showed. That is 4.16ms x 4 = ~16ms is the true raw GtG in some GtG 100% TN changes, see it, need up to four refresh cicles to hide it.

This also say us than to get 100% FullScreen crosstalk free DyAc+ without overdrive artifacts in this monitor, frequency should drop under 100Hz, like is tested here with Zowie 240Hz monitor hack 60Hz single strobe: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7520

phpBB [video]

Excellent motion smoothness.

Short DyAc+ MPRT 0.5ms can't hide long 100% GtG transitions up to ~16ms, because window is limited to 4.16ms, can't be hidden what exceds the refresh cicle, and crosstalk is the unavoidable result. Is needed a big change in order to boost LCD GtG to levels than demand today eSports gamers. Massive GtG bootleneck. Classic LCD is lazy, even in Fast Liquid Cristal mode.

Hope soon BenQ surprise us with 240Hz DyAc+ 100% crosstalk free at all frequencies.

About OLED burn in, Rtings test is with Sample and Hold default mode ! None TV is running BFI. The fact pixel is constantly On-Off is in teory a good way to reduce risk of burn in. Moreover LG CX series is the only one with 4.16ms MPRT granularity, so never a static image with BFI Motion Pro High is on screen more than this.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-li ... rn-in-test

Chief, maybe Rtings are interested also run BFI burn in ? Maybe result in a great surprise, and allow OLED arrive PC gaming more soon.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Nov 2020, 01:08

AddictFPS wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 00:47
Response time compensation by voltage overdriving as currently applied in many LCD panels with 120 Hz frame frequency for improvement of the display of moving images in LCD TVs could become obsolete since the Blue Phase mode features a superior response speed (in the range of 10 - 100 microseconds, see ref. 1), allowing images to be reproduced at 240 Hz frame rate or higher without the need for any overdrive circuit.
Inaccurate Wikipedia paragraph. Frame frequency will not be obsolete -- Even 0ms GtG cam have motion blur. See Why Does Some OLEDs Have Motion Blur?.

However, blue phase LCDs will also make:
(A) Higher frame frequency possible; and/or
(B) Higher quality motion blur reduction possible.

I've logged into Wikipedia and deleted that paragraph.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

CortexFPS

Post by CortexFPS » 02 Nov 2020, 16:21

help settings for Xl2546K with dyac on ??? are the same settings of 2546 ok despite being a different panel? (I think not)
In use: 27GR95QE-B | XG2431
Used before: PG248QP | XL2566K | XL2546K/S | XV252QF | AW2521H | VG259QM | PG279QM | AW2721D
Mouse: OP1 8K | Zaunkoenig M2K
Keyboard: Wooting 60HE
PC: 5800x3D; RTX 3080

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 03 Nov 2020, 04:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 01:08
Inaccurate Wikipedia paragraph. Frame frequency will not be obsolete -- Even 0ms GtG can have motion blur.
Reading the paragraph, i understand "obsolete" word is aiming only at overdrive.

pstn

Post by pstn » 03 Nov 2020, 11:11

Last edited by pstn on 12 Nov 2020, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

Conan

Post by Conan » 04 Nov 2020, 15:54

i pulled the trigger. i ordered from amazon.de today.
hype is real.