G-Sync/V-Sync problem

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
adamzo

G-Sync/V-Sync problem

Post by adamzo » 03 Nov 2020, 09:01

Hello there!

So I have a question, I have been having issues recently, the problem that I have is as follows.

I have 4 monitors, Main: Acer predator 27 inch xb271hu 165hz 1440p G-Sync Monitor, A 27 inc Acer xf240h 144hz monitor, and a Asus vg248qe 24 inch 144hz monitor, and a AOC 60hz 27 inch monitor.

I have been using this without any problems what so ever before, but just recently I started having problems in games with tearing/stuttering. I have set my main G sync monitor to my primary monitor, I have the latest nvidia drivers, (tried earlier ones aswell) I have G sync enabled in NVCP In fullscreen mode, I have all my monitors refresh rates set at their highest, I have G-Sync/V sync ON in global settings, I have capped my FPS in NVCP at 162/160/150/140 with same results, I get tearing/stuttering either way, specially with CSGO, where I now also can feel a huge amount of delay when moving around aswell as the stutter/tearing, wich was never there before. I even reinstalled windows to be sure without any success. I have also tried without V-SYNC, Only G sync, same results. I have no clue what the problem can be, any help would be HUGELY appriciated. and I would even go as far as paying if I could get this problem resolved one way or another, I’am a competitve gamer, wich really need to be able to play, since I have a team I play for etc, so I’am desperate to get this working somehow 🙁

System information : GPU GTX 1080 TI , CPU I7 8700K 32GB G-skill trident-z 3200mhz ram. 1000W PSU.

Thanks in advance
//

jorimt

Re: G-Sync/V-Sync problem

Post by jorimt » 03 Nov 2020, 09:33

adamzo wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 09:01
I have 4 monitors, Main: Acer predator 27 inch xb271hu 165hz 1440p G-Sync Monitor, A 27 inc Acer xf240h 144hz monitor, and a Asus vg248qe 24 inch 144hz monitor, and a AOC 60hz 27 inch monitor.
To be clear, are each of these monitors run separately on different PCs, or are some paired together, or are all running as multi-monitors on one PC?

And going by the model numbers, 1 monitor is native G-SYNC (XB271HU), 1 is officially G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync (XF240H), and two are non-VRR (VG248QE and AOC), correct?
adamzo wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 09:01
I have been using this without any problems what so ever before, but just recently I started having problems in games with tearing/stuttering.
To narrow this down, start with this (even if you've tried some of the below already):

1. Clean install the latest Nvidia driver with DDU.
2. Plug only your XB271HU (native G-SYNC) monitor into the computer this is occurring on.
3. In NVCP "Set up G-SYNC" section, set it to "Enable G-SYNC, G-SYNC Compatible," "Enable for windowed and full screen mode."
4. In NVCP "Manage 3D Settings" section, set "Vertical sync" to "On."
5. In NVCP "Manage 3D Settings" section, set "Max Frame Rate" to 162, or use RTSS, and set it to 162 (assuming your monitor is overclocked to 165Hz, else if it's at 144Hz, set the FPS limiter to 141).
6. Replay your problem games and see if you're having the same issues.

If you're issues are solved with this, then you can work backward to find the problem (assuming you have multiple monitors connected to one display).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

adamzo

Post by adamzo » 03 Nov 2020, 10:32

@jorimt

Yes, those 4 monitors are all connected to the same GPU (this pc) Via DP,DP,HDMI,DVI-D.

I did all those steps above in that specific order, and the issue is still the there, (main problem is csgo)

It's like, I get those micro stutters when moving around, or shooting someone in the head for example, and you can tell something is off, the tearing is pretty much gone now, with G-Sync/V-Sync enabled. But the stutters is there, it's weird since I have capped the fps accordingly, and my pc should defenetly be able to hold those frames, I tried different frame caps like I said all the way down to 130.
I did something I forgot to mention earlier, But I dont think that should be the reason, I installed CCleaner, and made a registry clean, wich I normally never do. I was afraid it might have caused problems, but I did a fresh re install of windows, so I feel like that shouldn't play a part. Also another weird thing is, in LoL (League) For example, before I didn't get tearing with V-sync/G-sync on in NVCP, but now I do, with the same exact settings, the only way to remove it now, is to enable V-sync via the game settings itself, wich is odd.

Greetings,
Adam.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 03 Nov 2020, 10:56

adamzo wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 10:32
Yes, those 4 monitors are all connected to the same GPU (this pc) Via DP,DP,HDMI,DVI-D.
Wow, I'm surprised you haven't had more problems with this configuration. Multi-monitor support is very poor on Windows and can cause many strange issues, usually when even just two monitors of the same model are connected.

4 monitors, all different sizes, refresh rates, and specs with mixed brands plugged in at the same time on a single GPU is certainly an unusual setup.
adamzo wrote:
I did all those steps above in that specific order, and the issue is still the there, (main problem is csgo)

It's like, I get those micro stutters when moving around, or shooting someone in the head for example, and you can tell something is off, the tearing is pretty much gone now, with G-Sync/V-Sync enabled. But the stutters is there, it's weird since I have capped the fps accordingly, and my pc should defenetly be able to hold those frames, I tried different frame caps like I said all the way down to 130.
Could be game-specific, be it a recent game patch, or varying netcode performance you're seeing. CS:GO is known for having stutter issues that come and go.

Also, G-SYNC only fixes sync-induced stutter, it does not fix system/game-side stutter.
adamzo wrote:
I did something I forgot to mention earlier, But I dont think that should be the reason, I installed CCleaner, and made a registry clean, wich I normally never do. I was afraid it might have caused problems, but I did a fresh re install of windows, so I feel like that shouldn't play a part.
CCleaner can't cause this.
adamzo wrote:
Also another weird thing is, in LoL (League) For example, before I didn't get tearing with V-sync/G-sync on in NVCP, but now I do, with the same exact settings, the only way to remove it now, is to enable V-sync via the game settings itself, wich is odd.
LoL is known for having V-SYNC issues. That, and I don't think it runs in exclusive fullscreen anymore, but instead runs in borderless fullscreen, even with the "fullscreen" option selected in-game.

FYI, if you have G-SYNC set for "Enable for full screen mode" it will only work in games set to exclusive fullscreen, whereas if you have it set for "Enable for windowed and full screen mode" it will work in games that are set to exclusive fullscreen or borderless/windowed mode.

G-SYNC obviously won't work at all on the two of your non-VRR monitors though, and they will instead revert to standalone V-SYNC (if you have V-SYNC enabled) or V-SYNC OFF (if you have V-SYNC disabled).

Finally, if you want to ensure G-SYNC is engaged, on your XB271HU, go to menu button > menu icon > third icon down > "Refresh rate num" to "ON." This will put a yellow refresh rate meter in the corner of your screen; when it's fluctuating in-game, G-SYNC is currently engaged, when it isn't, G-SYNC is currently disengaged.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)